sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Mo-cap for AM

Roger

• *A:M User*

I ran across this on the Steam store the other day:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/227740/

I thought it might be useful for blocking out animation quickly with my characters and then go back add fine details.

I see it supports .BVH, that is compatible with AM, right? If you were to use something like this are you limited to using a single rig?

I would be interested to know what you guys think.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

You can use any rig that you can attach the imported BVH data to. It's like constraining things to things.

Great mocap results will require great mocap acting to capture. Editing mocap is problematic and a skill in itself.

You can use any rig that you can attach the imported BVH data to. It's like constraining things to things.

Great mocap results will require great mocap acting to capture. Editing mocap is problematic and a skill in itself.

I was just thinking, not having any acting training, it might be easier to just animate instead of trying to clean up janky mo-cap data.

Oh well, was worth thinking about.

A member of this forum, Joe McPeak aka Mr. Bones or True Bones works very closely and/or reps ipi's mocap solutions... he would be happy to answer any of your inquiries. Probably the BEST way to contact him is thru his Facebook page... Truebones Motions.

I own this software.

I use 2 kinects to capture movements.

the simple steps to put it working are:

IPI Record

1) positioning the hardware: 90º ( 4 meters from actor )

2) recording the "set" without actor

3) calibrating hardware with a card

3) recording actor-> initially T pose then acting

IPI Studio 2

1) load scene

2) use calibrating scene to position virtually the cameras

3) fine adjust with virtual actor

4) connect IPI bones with A:M bones ( BVH )

5) run

6) export to BVH

A:M

1) import BVH to your model

2) use constraint (translate, orient, roll) to connect BVH/bones

basically these are the steps... I had to uninstall IPI Studio since I changed WINDOWS ( 7 -> 8 ) and I don't install it again but I think that is it.

here are two tests:

oKg_anQzUck

J554FlquVA0

Hi,

I'll chime in here... as most of the older crowd knows, my eternal and by now wornout and tired old goal is to produce animated book trailers and to have any hope of doing this I must be able to produce animation as cheaply as possible. My animation skills, after 21 years of messing with 3D animation are perhaps fair. Mo-cap is an awesome tool for me.

I have every mo-cap file from truebones (well, as of 2 years ago anyway). I have the free utility bvhacker which allows you to view and do some tweaking on the bvh files. When I have a scene to animate the first thing I do is review my library of bvh files for anything I can use. Hooking up the bvh files to the Anzovin rig is not that hard and pretty intuitive. I haven't done it in a long time and I pray I documented how I got it to work somewhere otherwise, LOL, I'll be at square one of figuring it out again.

Sometime in the dim past I posted and insane example of one of my character models doing a hip-hop dance using a bvh but I can't seem to find it.

Cheers,

Rusty

I'm trying to decide how I feel about using mo-cap on my movie. I am not sure if it falls under the category of legitimate shortcut or taking the easy way. It would definitely allow me to do more animation, but not sure if it would be better.

Xtaz, does the base version support all normal movements, or do you have to pop for the pro or advanced version? I think they have trial, basic, pro and elite with each one having a correspondingly higher price tag. I could swing the basic version but $500 or $600 (or even more) is more than I care to spend.

Hi Roger, I visited its site and here is the difference between versions

Express Edition - $295

Entry-level configuration that works with one depth sensor (Kinect or Xtion). Easy to use but applicable for relatively simple motions without rotations

Basic Edition - $595

Includes all basic features needed for high accuracy motion capture. Supports capture with 1 or 2 depth sensors or 3 to 4 Sony PS Eye cameras.

Standard Edition - $995

Includes all high-end features including multiple persons tracking. Supports capture with 2 depth sensors or 3 to 6 Sony PS Eye cameras

I own Basic Edition.

I have to ask it:

"basically these are the steps... I had to uninstall IPI Studio since I changed WINDOWS ( 7 -> 8 ) and I don't install it again but I think that is it."

> Why are you not installing it again?

See you

*Fuchur*

I have to ask it:

"basically these are the steps... I had to uninstall IPI Studio since I changed WINDOWS ( 7 -> 8 ) and I don't install it again but I think that is it."

> Why are you not installing it again?

See you

*Fuchur*

I haven't needed it yet ... ;)

Maybe I install it this week.