Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

sculpting Princess Gloria ( SO )

Xtaz

I have long been nurturing a desire to sculpt something, so I decided to do it this weekend, the chosen character was Princess Gloria. I'll post here the various stages.

-Armature

20120107_174113.jpg

-Blocking

20120107_191148.jpg

-Pose

20120107_220704.jpg

-Sculpting

20120108_132917.jpg

20120108_155006.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks friends...

Robert, the grey material is an epoxy ( in 2 hours it is hard ) and the flesh material is the amazing super sculpey (need to bake )

• Admin

Awesome project Marcos!

the amazing super sculpey (need to cook )

My youngest daughter got the urge to sculpt and she's been busy creating cut characters with sculpey for the past few months.

She's gotten pretty good at it!

I even bought the liquid type... but Julia doesn't use that much.

I keep thinking it would be cool to get that sculpey flowing out of a 3D printer (which I assume someone probably has... may have to google that). ;)

When you get done we want to see all these progression shots animated!

She really shaped up well!

Are you going to paint her too?

Nice question Rodney ... I want do it, but I don't know how. Any sugestion ? airbrush or paintbrush ?

• Admin
Any sugestion ? airbrush or paintbrush ?

Well, if you've got an airbrush I have to say at least paint the large areas with the air brush.

Here's what I might do in a perfect world:

Air brush the big areas. The darker colors. (You don't have to worry too much about masking here)

Use paint brush for detailing.

Fine tune with additional touches of airbrush. The lighter colors. (Use a mask here as much as possible to protect areas already painted)

Finish up with any key colors/details/metallic paint with a brush.

I don't know what the best way to get gloss on gems and such... perhaps an over coating of some kind of lacquer?

You asked... so... :)

I especially like the photo with your daughter (she's a beauty). Warms my heart to think she (and other little girls) would get pleasure, fun from a Princess Gloria statue/doll.

Thanks Nancy... I was expecting your comment here :)

My Mariana participated in all stages of the sculpture, she loves her.

That is really cool. You can cast multiples of that with a silicone mold.

Even make a cold cast bronze.

http://www.smooth-on.com/

These guys sell the supplies you would need. Make sure you have good ventilation or work outside if you use the plastic resins. The silicone mold material has almost no odor and is pretty safe, just don't eat it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin
model done and baked (hair dryer) ... next step is texture (?????)

I think the next step is to try to find a way to make a copy!!!

There is a law of design that effectively states... never alter the original... alter a copy.

Unfortunately, in the area of copying sculptures I have no idea what your options are.

Impressive work Marcos.

VERY NICE.

There is a new silicone molding material that is 2 part putty. Simply mix equal parts so the color is uniform (similar to the epoxy putty). You can use a urethane parafilm mold release that is pretty safe and odor free. Spray the model, then mush the mold material around it. Once the mold cures (30 min) you can carefully cut it apart to remove the sculpture then close it back up and make some castings. You may want to do it in pieces and glue them together after to make it easier to cast. Figuring out the parting lines is the real challenge.

model done and baked (hair dryer) ... next step is texture (?????)

I love the change from lily to the roses - much nicer, muy, muy lovely.

(change in hair, not so much - but it's a preference thing)

She will be great fun to paint!

I've used paints called Pearl Ex (long time ago) - that have nice irridescent look to them. Good for jewel tones, shimmery fabrics. Not sure if they are available in Brazil. The different lines from Jaquard paints in general are quite nice.

• 3 weeks later...