sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Amazon Studios ?

NancyGormezano

Just noticed Amazon Studios today. I know. This may be old, old news to everyone else.

Mainly looks like a place for screenwriters to post full length feature scripts, to compete monthly, and collaborate and to hopefully get funding for eventual production. Perhaps Amazon is looking for alternative sources to populate their planned service to watching movies on their new Kindle Fire tablet?

What I found particularly interesting is that they also have a place for filmmakers to "make test movies" - using the scripts, dialogue tracks, sound tracks, special effects sounds already uploaded to their site (yours or anyone else's). The dialogue tracks I've listened to so far seem to be of a relatively good quality.

These test films can be primitive drawings, or storyboardish-like, or 2D, 3D character animated, or live action or dead sock puppets, and I'm guessing this is primarily done to provide a visual take on provided scripts (with maybe future collaboration?).

BUT these test films, when uploaded, automatically get entered into the monthly contests, if they are full length, and meet what appears to be ever changing rules for prizes of $100,000 (each month, split between script writer & filmmaker (80% or whatever the flavor of month is.)

You can also do a trailer like thing, but it won't be eligible to be entered into monthly competition. Test movies are 65+ minutes long, full length feature.

Interesting.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dialogue tracks I've listened to so far seem to be of a relatively good quality.

Uhhhh...maybe I take that back.

After looking at the August winners briefly, especially for "Black Hat" in the "BEST test movie category" ($100K), I could see a collaborative A:M community project being done here possibly for a test movie (slightly or significantly better than animatic looking), based on using either a script off Amazon Studio site, or a reasonably well done script from someone here, as long as we didn't drag it out ad infinitum or nauseum or etc.

Not sure how long Amazon Studios will keep going with their contests.

I hope it's not what the New York Times is attempting. Apparently they think those cheapie Korean satirical animated news clips are the next big thing. Spoiler alert: prepare to be sickened!

These are feature length "films" they're looking to develop (watch explanation video here).

Then watch as much as you can stand of August winner "Black Hat" test movie - which won $100,000 this month after being a semi-finalist in July, and a finalist in June. Test movies keep getting automatically re-entered until?. Best scripts (2) this month won $20K/script. Best Dialogue tracks(2) won $5000. There's a $1M prize given out at end of year.

Currently it looks like for the September competition there isn't much competition (based on quick glance at some of their forum threads). As we all know, this takes WORK, TIME, and very few test movies were being discussed for this month. I believe the purpose of the test movies are to show off the potential of a good script, and present a creative take. It is not to be considered a final finished product. If they don't get enough entries, I suspect Amazon'll stop doing this. Now may be the time to jump in. They got plenty money to test the waters. They started doing this in 2010.

Need a good script/story (from their site), a reasonable dialogue track (less than perfect, may have to create if doesn't exist on site) and create a reasonable, less than perfect, but interesting enough, slightly better than animatic type test movie. Something like Bob Taylor produced for "Tinwoodman" would be a shoo-in, and someone like him could probably do it all by himself in a month.

I've got my eye on one script that I could get into, but it would take me forever to do a full length test movie. The script I'm eyeing (but haven't read fully) seems at first glance that it would be a perfect candidate for repurposing some/most of the Scarecrow OZ/Tinwoodman OZ characters. The script is not necessarily designed to be an animation, but obviously one can use 3D characters for the storyboard for live action. I actually think it might be a good script for animation, also.

This is all new to me today, so tommorrow I suspect I'll come to my senses.

My 16 yr old daughter is big into screenwriting a super hero-ish story she came up with. Worked on it all summer long with the goal of entering it on Amazon. I went along with the plan all summer, thinking keeping her writing, working, thinking all summer would counter the brain numbing that goes along with the summer break. Thing is, she completed the screenplay, but there is an age limit (have to be at least 18). She asked me to submit it for her to get around that, but I won't do that (should be her name, she wrote it). I haven't proofed the screenplay, don't know the plot with the exception of what she has told me, but I have had it in the back of mind that I would animate a trailer of it for her; she'd get a charge to see her story come to life so to speak.

At any rate, I had looked into Amazon a while ago. But I always came away with a sense that it wasn't so much from the production side as it was from the screenplay side. That may have changed, and perhaps is worth another look see. Nancy, did you get that same impression, or was it just me?

Paul.... I come away same as you --seems like they are most interested in the screenplay side of things based on what i saw......... ------but Nancy thanks for posting this----might have to open up my Final Draft app in my spare spare time (thats time after AM time.) and forged a story.

Paul.... I come away same as you --seems like they are most interested in the screenplay side of things based on what i saw.........

It seems to me too that they are firstly and mainly interested in a good screenplay. But it also appears to me that they recognize that "test" movies take a lot of effort, and have value - based on the fact that the prize for the test movie is $100,000 EACH MONTH, while the prize for the screenplay is $20,000. The winners of each category are not necessarily fron the same screen play.

My take is that they are NOT looking for a finished test movie, in any way (take a look at the current winners). The test movie is only something animatic-like, or as finished as one wants to do, that shows the judges the potential for how the screenplay might "work". To win, I get the impression it's best to start with a screenplay with a story, script that has merit.

This looks like a rare opportunity, where one can take someone else's script, and do something with A:M, that as a finished product is less than perfect, or very less than perfect, and yet still perfect one's skills. For $100K, I can let go of any self-agrandizing need to make it "perfect"!

It does seem that one is not under any obligation to continue further with the project, nor even if they wanted to, they might not be able to. I believe Amazon claims the "rights" to anything done on their site. But it does look like alliances, contacts, collaborations are very much encouraged and nurtured

The judges (quick glance) seem to be professionally qualified people. It's not a competition based on who has the most friends, and who can get the most eyeballs to their site for advertising revenue. They seem to be honestly interested in sinking money into potentially quality & worthy projects.

I wonder even if the "Scarecrow of Oz" (or Tinwoodman) screenplay(s) might be submitted, as well as the dialog track, along with the finished animation (as a test movie). It would mean that then Amazon Studios would have the rights to further develop it into a different production. But at least it might bring in some money

Ok , i think I see your angle Nancy ---and I think you are right. Its like the test movie is to "sell" the screenplay. Money for both possible. So in perfect world one would have a screenplay all nice and dandy and a test movie to kind of preview your ideas and story . Of course --as I see your way of thinking trying to wiggle out a test movie from Animation Master attached to a screenplay maybe gets you a prize for the test movie ......interesting.

Of course --as I see your way of thinking trying to wiggle out a test movie from Animation Master attached to a screenplay maybe gets you a prize for the test movie

And given that they currently seem to not have many contenders for test movies, I'd say it's more likely.

It's unclear how long the situation will stay as it is.

I haven't read the details. What do we give up by submitting?

Not sure. There's a lot of legal mumbo jumbo and I would have to look more closely (which I intend to), but I suspect Amazon Studios gets the "rights", whatever that means.

It looks like one can keep submitting to film festivals any test movies submitted to Amazon eg., when talking about already done OZ like movies. It's not clear to me if Oz movies are even available for submitting to Amazon Studios - ie - who currently owns it? who shares in $$$? and other issues of course. Probably all up to A:M. Martin could probably submit all of his Oz scripts alone, and open them up to revision, use by others

Other issues are music rights. They have some words to the effect of wanting people to use their free orchestral sound tracks for test movies, as well as their free sound effects, for ownership concerns of course. Not sure if you "have to". Not sure if you have to also use dialog tracks submitted (by "voice actors") on their site as well

And not all scripts are necessarily open to collaboration, rewrites from others. It seems to me that there are some scripts that seem to get a lot of attention: ie a lot of test movies (not all full length), dialog tracks have been submitted for a particular script. Dialog tracks submitted may or may not have all parts recorded, nor necessarily have the dialog for the entire movie.

They even have a prize for the best rewrite of a script.

SHORT Summary located here as to who owns what

Longer summary & Amazon Studios Synopsis & Development agreement located here

Yup - you give away but you get: too complicated to summarize. Seems like they can hold on to scripts for 18 months with non-refusable option to pay you to extend option for another 18 months. If they exercise option, they will pay $200K/script, with provisions for additional $400K if film makes > $60M at box office. Any monies paid is separate from any money one might make from any of the contests. Makes my head spin.

Here's summary from 2nd page:

Original script starting a new project

You get

* A chance to win money. Your script, along with scripts, dialogue tracks and test movies based on it, will be considered for Amazon Studios contest awards for which it is eligible.

* A chance to get paid for your script. We’re looking for projects that can be produced as full-budget movies. If we exercise an option you give us to acquire all rights in your script, you will get $200,000. And if a film we theatrically release based on your script makes more than $60 million in U.S. box office receipts in its initial release, you will get another $400,000.

* A chance to get paid even more down the road. You’ll also get $100,000 if we theatrically release a sequel, prequel or spin-off movie, and $5,000 per episode if we make it into a TV series.

* Exposure for your work. You’ll have a chance to get feedback from the international community of screenwriters and filmmakers at Amazon Studios.

You give

* An exclusive option to buy your script (and its associated rights) during an 18 month option period, for $200,000, plus other possible bonuses. We can extend the option another 18 months by paying you $10,000.

* The exclusive right to develop your script during the option period (for instance by putting it up at Amazon Studios and allowing people to review it, to record dialogue tracks and make movies based on it, and to revise it).

* The right to show or distribute your script (and scripts and movies based on it that are made during the option period), which is a right that goes on forever, except that we do not have the right to show or distribute it or scripts or movies based on it in theaters, on DVD or Blu-ray or via linear broadcast or cable TV or a la carte sales or rentals online. We also have the right to use clips from movies based on your script it in all media.

So for 18 months after you create a project at Amazon Studios by contributing an original script, you cannot display, sell or license your script elsewhere, or withdraw it for any reason. However, when the option period ends, if we haven’t exercised our option and purchased all rights in your script, you get back rights to your script (but we still have the right to distribute your original script and scripts and movies based on it as described above). Rights in scripts and movies based on your script stay with us.

See Development Agreement for details.

Revised script

You get

* A chance to win money. Your revised script, along with scripts, dialogue tracks and test movies based on it, will be considered for Amazon Studios contest awards for which it is eligible.

* Exposure for your work. You’ll have a chance to get feedback from the international community of screenwriters and filmmakers at Amazon Studios.

You give

* If you did not create the original script, you assign all rights to your revisions to Amazon Studios forever. We can use these rights in any way without compensating you.

* If you created the original script, your original elements in your revisions are considered part of your original script and the rights in them go with the rights in your original script. Learn more

Dialogue Track

You get

* A chance to win money. Your dialogue track, and test movies based on it, will be considered for Amazon Studios contest awards for which it is eligible.

* Exposure for your work. The international community of filmmakers and screenwriters at Amazon Studios can hear your voice, and will be able to showcase your dialogue track in a test movie.

You give

* If you did not create the original script, you assign all rights to your dialogue track to Amazon Studios forever. We can use these rights in any way without compensating you.

* If you created the original script, any original elements in your dialogue track are considered part of your original script and the rights in them go with the rights in your original script. Learn more

New movie based on an Amazon Studios script

You get

* A chance to win money. Your full-length test movie, and revisions based on it, will be considered for Amazon Studios contest awards for which it is eligible.

* Exposure for your work. You’ll have a chance to get feedback from the international community of filmmakers and screenwriters at Amazon Studios.

You give

* If you did not create the original script, you assign all rights to your test movie to Amazon Studios forever. We can use these rights in any way without compensating you

* If you created the original script, your original elements in your test movie are considered part of your original script and the rights in them go with the rights in your original script. Learn more

Original movie starting a new project

You get

* A chance to win money. Your full-length test movie, and revisions based on it, will be considered for Amazon Studios contest awards for which it is eligible.

* A chance to get paid. We’re looking for projects that can be produced as full-budget movies. If we exercise an option you give us to acquire all rights in your movie, you will get $200,000. And if a film we theatrically release based on your movie makes more than $60 million in U.S. box office receipts in its initial release, you will get another $400,000.

* A chance to get paid even more down the road. You’ll also get $100,000 if we theatrically release a sequel, prequel or spin-off movie, and $5,000 per episode if we make it into a TV series.

* Exposure for your work. You’ll have a chance to get feedback from the international community of filmmakers and screenwriters at Amazon Studios.

You give

* An exclusive option to buy your movie (and its associated rights) during an 18 month option period, for $200,000, plus other possible bonuses. We can extend the option another 18 months by paying you $10,000.

* The exclusive right to develop your movie during the option period (for instance by putting it up at Amazon Studios and allowing people to review it, to make scripts and new movies based on it and to revise it).

* The right to show or distribute your movie (and scripts and movies based on it that are made during the option period), which is a right that goes on forever, except that we do not have the right to show or distribute it or scripts or movies based on it in theaters, on DVD or Blu-ray or via linear broadcast or cable TV or a la carte sales or rentals online. We also have the right to use clips from your movie and movies based on it in all media.

So for 18 months after you create a project at Amazon Studios by contributing an original movie, you cannot display, sell or license your movie elsewhere, or withdraw it for any reason. However, when the option period ends, if we haven’t exercised our option and purchased all rights in your movie, you get back rights to your movie (but we still have the right to distribute your original movie and scripts and movies based on it as described above). Rights in scripts and movies based on your movie stay with us.

See Development Agreement for details.

Revised movie

You get

You give

* If you did not create the original script or movie, you assign all rights to your revisions to Amazon Studios forever. We can use these rights in any way without compensating you.

* If you created the original script or test movie, your original elements in your revisions are considered part of your original script or movie and the rights in them go with the rights in your original script or movie. Learn more

Trailer

You get

* A chance to win money. Your movie trailer will be considered for Amazon Studios contest awards for which it is eligible.

* Exposure for your work. An international community of filmmakers, screenwriters and movie fans will view your trailer and use it to choose movies on the site.

You give

* If you did not create the original script or movie, you assign all rights to your trailer to Amazon Studios forever. We can use these rights in any way without compensating you.

* If you created the original script or test movie, your original elements in your trailer are considered part of your original script or movie and the rights in them go with the rights in your original script or movie. Learn more.

Edited by NancyGormezano

Turns out Amazon Studios has just recently announced that they will be sponsoring monthly "trailer contests" with 2 prizes of $5000, to start in October.

Seems much more reasonable (for me) to consider actually doing something like that (rather than full length test movie). Obviously will be much more competition.

Trailers must be based on scripts that have been uploaded to Amazon Studios, and can use any dialogue tracks, sound effects, test movies. Can be any style.

Spent yesterday looking at uploaded scripts, test movies (some quite good). Became overwhelmed very quickly. So much to choose from, and read.

But seems to me, some people here already have full length scripts, trailers, test movies (eg Darkwing, kwhitaker, Ozzie stuff, others?)

Well ---would always be nice to know if they would continue this as if some folks wanted to get working on something--nice to know you had many months .

Yes I agree - it's hard to figure out just how long this will go on. BUT it seems they are planning to at least finish out the year with contests according to this page

Trailers (less than 1? 2 mins) can be made in very short time.

Well ---would always be nice to know if they would continue this as if some folks wanted to get working on something--nice to know you had many months .

Yes I agree - it's hard to figure out just how long this will go on. BUT it seems they are planning to at least finish out the year with contests according to this page

briar rose would be a cool thing for that if u ask me...

see u

Fuchur

briar rose would be a cool thing for that if u ask me...

The trick is that Briar Rose (or any other story animation) would have to have a full length (65+ minutes) movie script uploaded to AS first. Only then would it be eligible for people to make test movies, trailers for it. Not sure if Milligan has a full script. And obviously, it would be up to him to promote.

The trailers they are talking about are supposed to be "real" style movie trailers. The spectacular, beautiful, excellent Briar Rose clip currently playing is not yet a trailer, but definitely something that could be turned into one.

AS is looking for projects/scripts that eventually they will partner with Warner Brothers to have produced by presumably name actors, directors, etc.

The trailer, test movies are only for the purpose of contests, and pushing the scripts, stories in front of the judges. It is not likely that if AS buys the script that any of the test movies, dialogue tracks, trailers uploaded to Amazon will be used for the eventual production. But if really really excellent, it might get one noticed for bigger and better things, as well as win some moola. Anyone can make a test movie, dialog track, trailer for any script on AS.

EG., Martin's Oz Scripts could be uploaded, and anyone on AS could make another trailer, test movie based on his script, to push it. The current Oz movies could probably be uploaded as test movies, and would only be considered as such for the contests. If his script was to be bought by AS, then Warner brothers would make their own version. WB may not make it an animated movie, or might choose to animate it in some other package with some other crew. But at least he might get something back for all his efforts! (assuming he cared)

Story is king.

• Hash Fellow

Are there actually any cases where someone has jumped in to make test clips of other people's scripts? I haven't looked but I'll guess the ratio of script-hopefuls to people-wanting-to-do-other-people's-scripts is enormous.

Are there actually any cases where someone has jumped in to make test clips of other people's scripts? I haven't looked but I'll guess the ratio of script-hopefuls to people-wanting-to-do-other-people's-scripts is enormous.

Oh yes. Currently there are 6135 scripts and 598 test movies. Only 78 scripts have people who have uploaded dialog tracks. Test movies can have their own dialog, music tracks (not counted among the 78).

Do not have breakdown for following info:

Not all test movies are full length, some are trailer, pitch type.

There are some people who seem to be very prolific and have multiple scripts/projects going, with many test movies, some submitted by themselves as well as others. Can not tell if they all know each other.

Other scripts/projects have multiple test movies submitted, some of which it appears have been done by different people not connected to project. Many of the multiple test movies appear to be remakes, revisions of test movies already submitted. Some appear to be different versions.

And yes, there is a lot of grumbling from those script writers whose projects are not being noticed.

My guess is they opened up the contests to trailers because a test movie is tooooo much of a commitment for an outsider. And I would bet that Amazon is watching to see which scripts get people's attention enough to motivate them to want to do a trailer or test movie for someone else's script.

I'm just wandering in the desert looking for inspiration. A trailer might be a nice morsel to help quench my lust for new blood.

For anyone here who thinks they may be serious about playing a role in making movies biz: " there's a thousand bad drawings/ideas/scripts in you that you need to get out of the way, so better start now"....or something like that, as someone once said.

:) The quest for new/more blood...

Just as a mention, zoopa.com and tongal.com are contest sites for video and other art that seem to get a lot of animation entries.

Bill....

Thanks Bill ! It appears I have been living under a rock for many years. Interesting sites.

Word of warning for anyone else - it's zooppa.com. When I went to zoopa.com - a dialog pop up appeared telling me I've won something. I don't know what it was as I immediately ctrl alt deleted my browser, and I, of course, did not click on anything in the pop up.

Let's hope my Norton was working.

Okay..ready set go.........only 119 and 3/4 pages more !

INT. LARGE OFFICE - NIGHT

The office is large , eerily dark and nearly silent. There is the soothing sound of the air conditioner vents overhead.

HERO

(talking to himself )

Why can’t I do normal things on Monday Night like watch football...or work on some models with Animation Master.

Smiles

What is a "Full-length Test"? Would all of TWO be a "Full-length Test"?

Yes indeedy. And so would Scarecrow of Oz. And both of those would be way more complete than anything on there that I've viewed so far.

Most test movies are either table reads, "storyboardish", lay-outy, or animatic like. Others are more complete.

There is test movie winner based on Hans Christian Anderson tale of "the 12 princesses" that has an outstanding, gorgeous orchestral sound track, with many, many songs, and beautiful singing by REAL singers, with outstanding narration, voice actors. However the dialog, storyline is guaranteed to make most little & big boys gag uncontrollably. The imagery is simple 3D models, sets, very well done, and presented still in animatic form. $100,000 winner. I don't remember if the script won any award. The author wasn't pushing for his script to be done in 3D. But I believe he was also responsible for the music (not sure).

:) The quest for new/more blood...

Just as a mention, zoopa.com and tongal.com are contest sites for video and other art that seem to get a lot of animation entries.

Bill....

Thanks Bill ! It appears I have been living under a rock for many years. Interesting sites.

Word of warning for anyone else - it's zooppa.com. When I went to zoopa.com - a dialog pop up appeared telling me I've won something. I don't know what it was as I immediately ctrl alt deleted my browser, and I, of course, did not click on anything in the pop up.

Let's hope my Norton was working.

I fixed (edited) my post. Thank you, and sorry about that.

Bill....

Legal stuff that would likely preclude TWO from winning the big bucks:

http://studios.amazon.com/help/development-agreement

As for those interested in trying to break into the business this'd be a good education.

You might even get paid.

Which part of that legal agreement do you see that precludes Martin from submitting his scripts (if he's even interested) ? The films are a different kettle, because if they won, it's not clear how the winnings would be split. I had a hard time deciphering that mumbo.

• Admin
Which part of that legal agreement do you see that precludes Martin from submitting his scripts (if he's even interested) ?

My point exactly. Nothing precludes Martin from submitting his scripts but it is Martin would have to read, interpret and agree to the terms and conditions. The submitter has to guarantee they have all legal rights

I have a take on why Martin and Amazon would not likely come to an agreement but it's focus would be that Amazon isn't likely to be interested in the Martin's TWO rebranding because they can produce an Oz film without his treatment. This isn't as likely in the case with other original films.

As for which part Martin would balk at... In almost every line I see something that might be disagreeable. But here is one example:

8. Waiver of Moral Rights . To the full extent allowed under any law, you irrevocably waive any moral rights in the Property. You also agree not to assert any moral rights in the Property against Amazon

Moving on, here's a interesting one which is not legally problematic but should make you wonder a little:

6. Contingent Compensation .

6.1. If, after exercising the Option, we commercially distribute a Full Length Movie in theatrical movie cinemas and it earns US$60,000,000 or more in domestic gross box office receipts as Reported in Daily Variety (or, if it is discontinued, a similar publication) during its initial theatrical release in the United States, we will pay you a one-time bonus of US$400,000.

but there are more subpara to assimilate:

6.2. If, after releasing a Full Length Movie, we start principal photography for a sequel, prequel, or spin-off Full Length Movie based on the Property, we will pay you a one-time fee of US$100,000.

and you'll get less from the TV series.

6.3. If, after releasing a Full Length Movie, we produce an episodic television series based on the Property that is picked up and produced, we will pay you a one-time fee of US$5,000 per episode when the episode is first aired (including pilots).

How much do corporations make on regular TV series these days?

And by that last reading you rather clearly have just given up to all rights in syndication.

Is it a fair deal? Is it worth it? I dunno.

It might be if you weren't planning to make money anyway.

Is it a fair deal? Is it worth it? I dunno.

It might be if you weren't planning to make money anyway.

Uh...obviously I or anyone else can't speak for Martin... And I suspect he has the full rights to his script given his lawyerly-ishness morality...and it's not that anyone couldn't rewrite an Oz tale (his version diverts from Baum)...it's that his script already exists. A studio would have to shell out money one way or other.

If I had a script, and it was obvious after trying to shop it around, that there wasn't anyone breaking down my door, I'd say it's the best and maybe ONLY deal in town. The other option is to stick it in the drawer, and throw away the key?

Doesn't look like chump change to me.

My sense to this is that if Amazon picks up a script to turn into a theatrical release, then they are footing all of the production bill. Since they would be financing it, they would naturally look to recoup that investment down the road with potential spin-offs, rights, etc. One thing I haven't seen is merchandising rights. That usually goes with the production house as well. Most script writers give up their spin off, merchandising etc rights when the sell the script anyways. So I don't see Amazon's position to be unreasonable. Writers usually have no rights to a movie production, and usually the original screenwriter has no say in how the movie is produced, look/feel, or even in script re-writes once production is started (unless there is an agreement in place with the producers to provide that service).

Nancy's position is correct in my humble opinion; if the script is going no where now, then what do you have to lose, and what potentially do you have to gain?

If the script is what is being sold, the four people with credit for that are Sydney Cuthbert, Martin Hash, Peter Shafer, Robert Taylor.

Yes, I believe that's the way it is credited for TWO but it is not clear who actually owns the rights (do not know the deal he had with the other authors, nor how significant their contributions were). As for SO, I believe it is solely Martin's script, and as for his other script Marvelous Land of Oz, I believe (but don't know) that it is also solely his work. Who knows how many other scripts he might have whipped out in 2-3 weeks?

But enough of Martin, who may or may not give a toot. There are projects here, whose scripts seem to be less tricky as to ownership rights - eg, "Tar of Zandoria", Darkwing's "don't know the title", Kat's "Just another Wooden Sword", and others who have been sitting on their "script babies" for years. It's a long shot, as there are currently over 6000 scripts being pitched.

It's not clear how many scripts Amazon will pick up (initially at $200K). It is not clear that the scripts they pick up are necessarily only the contest winners. The scripts they pick up may or may not be ever made into real movies. But for that kind of dough: who cares!

The contests each month (best script, test movies, dialog tracks, rewrites, trailers etc) are entirely separate monies. There are people here who could whip out "test movie" storyboards: Gerry, Largento come immediately to mind (who also may have scripts that they could make movie-like). People here who could whip out dialog tracks. People here who could do quirky, fun, interesting, polished trailers with great sound tracks, voice, visuals.

• 3 months later...

This trailer for "12 Princesses" just won $5000 for best trailer in the amazon monthly and now weekly awards giveaway. It's a story based on public domain fable. The same project has won $100,000 for a "test movie" (equally primitive, but with OUTSTANDING voice, sound track), as well as $20,000 for a best Script award (I think, not sure)

Yup. I am still astounded, confused & amazed that Scarecrow of Oz and Tinwoodman of OZ are still trying to get into animation festivals rather than trying for some really big bucks on Amazon Studios.

However, since many months have passed from when I first posted this (september of 2011), I get the sense now that the opportunities on Amazon Studios may be coming to a close, as they seem to be zeroing in on certain scripts.

• *A:M User*

I haven't perused their contest rules, but if you put up an original idea for a short film, do you still own the rights? Or does Amazon become the owner of the rights when they agree to fund you?

Ok, well after looking at their rules, it looks like if they option the script from you you get $200,000 and if a feature film is made that grosses $60 million, you get $400,000. This is a lot of money but if they own the rights to it from then on, it sounds like a bad deal if you're sitting on the next Harry Potter (or even Veggie Tales, for that matter). Of course, there's no way to be sure of that. Seems to me like the better option would be to make a storyboard or animatic for one of the script ideas they have.

Ok, well after looking at their rules, it looks like if they option the script from you you get $200,000 and if a feature film is made that grosses $60 million, you get $400,000. This is a lot of money but if they own the rights to it from then on, it sounds like a bad deal if you're sitting on the next Harry Potter (or even Veggie Tales, for that matter). Of course, there's no way to be sure of that. Seems to me like the better option would be to make a storyboard or animatic for one of the script ideas they have.

It is risk-management. The possibility to have the next Harry Potter on the desk is not really a big one and 400.000 is quite much for a unknown author to receive.... I don't think it is a bad deal,..

*Fuchur*

It is not likely that any unknown author, first time filmmaker would be getting that kind of money/deal from anywhere else. To think so, is just plainly delusional.

Many of the project submitters, mostly the winners, do have way more experience, credits to their names and they, themselves recognize this new path to funding as "manna from heaven". Get it while you can.

Many of the test movies do look like animatics, storyboards. That is why the current versions of Scarecrow of Oz and Tinwoodman of OZ would show the potential for their scripts even more so than these primitive test movies, trailers.

The concept/idea behind Amazon Studios is that there is a panel of professional judges that have to wade thru some 6000+ scripts. The best way to get one's script noticed, and in front of the panel is to have a test movie, trailer. Amazon will pick up the scripts, and then produce them with Warner Brothers. They are not committing to the test movies, nor necessarily to the team that produced them. They are not necessarily going to make a film of all the scripts that they pick up. They will not necessarily pick up the scripts of all monthly winners.

Amazon Studios is recognizing that GOOD scripts are in short supply, and are gold. I have read some of these scripts, and can barely finish the first 10 pages of most of them.

SO & TWO films as they stand now, even though they are way beyond animatic, storyboard stage, would never, ever in my opinion, have a chance to make $100,000, going the festival, dvd route. The scripts also could stand some revisions, but has lots of potential for being produced in many different styles. I can't think of any other efforts, that has a full length test movie, trailers, scripts, ready to go. The worst part about TWO & SO movies, in terms of being test movies is the quality of the sound tracks, actors - not very high quality. I would say that is the biggest thing that might prevent them from being winners of the monthly $100K giveaways. Most of the test movies have high quality soundtracks. Visuals are not all that important. The other big stumbling block, I'm guessing, is the bugaboo that would be created in "how to distribute the winnings", if it ever came to that.

EDIT: Another advantage perhaps to submitting TWO, SO is that it gets A:M Noticed as a viable software solution that can produce a full length film on one's very own desktop (ok, across multiple desktops)

It is not likely that any unknown author, first time filmmaker would be getting that kind of money/deal from anywhere else. To think so, is just plainly delusional.

Many of the project submitters, mostly the winners, do have way more experience, credits to their names and they, themselves recognize this new path to funding as "manna from heaven". Get it while you can.

I don't think my movie is going to make me a millionaire (or even earn me enough to pay off my car, for that matter) but something just bothers me about giving up control like that.

I don't think my movie is going to make me a millionaire (or even earn me enough to pay off my car, for that matter) but something just bothers me about giving up control like that.

I can understand that. I'm an amateur, dabbling, animating fool hobbyist. I'm not a script writer, nor am I trying to make a living at animation/filmmaking. But for those who might be & think they have tales to tell, this might be a learning moment or path that leads to "somewhere", even if one doesn't win any $$$.

If you were to write a script, and sell it to a studio, you would give up the same rights. No studio is going to buy a script, and allow you to retain merch. rights, publishing rights, foreign rights etc. Not to mention the only way you'd even get a studio to look at your script would be to go through an agent, which means you would owe them a good twenty percent right off the top.

Amazon Studios just awarded one of their annual $1 Million best Test Movie awards to THIS - The 12 Princesses . They will be going the animated feature route.

The $1 million Best Test Movie Award went to 12 Princesses, the musical tale of a farmboy who risks his heart (and his life) to discover how royal sisters escape each night from the imprisonment of their mad father. Rob Gardner of Mesa, Ariz., wrote and directed the test movie, based on his stage musical version of the Grimm fairy tale of “The 12 Dancing Princesses.

Here's the blog article in case you don't want to sit thru the movie.

I wonder if "Woke Up Dead" could potentially win?

For your project, I'd consider kickstarter over the Amazon route. You have a good story going, one that has a lot of promise, why give up the rights to it? If you can get a large enough fund generated through kickstarter, keep the rights, spin off merchandise etc, you're better off imho. The amazon route, while these numbers being quoted are tempting, seems to be closing down, and geared to feature length productions.

Amazon Studios is looking for FULL length feature films (65+ minutes). And they want to see the work in "standard" script form only.

I haven't read your script, but from what I glean from the forum, I think your story, on the surface appears more interesting than most anything I've read on Amazon studios. And most stories do not catch my eye. However, I have esoteric, eccentric tastes.

I would give up the rights in a flash for that kind of moola, if I thought I really had something that stood out. Who else is going to offer you anything close? You only give up rights if they "pick up the option". Otherwise, I believe they say you agree to leaving it on site for 18 months. But I see that when people want to take their scripts down sooner, they seem to be able. You'd have to check that out more closely.

I think you definitely have writing, and more importantly, story telling talent. You seem to be prolific, and focused. There is a difference in script writing for animation, live action, than there is for writing novels and short stories. You know : "Show don't tell". Most writers seem to be enamored with word crafting, rather than timing and image telling/making.

I don't know how much longer AS will be doing this. I think they've been doing this for at least 2 years. They currently have 7000 scripts. (700 test movies). They call this the annual awards. I interpret that to mean that they intend to have at least some more years doing this. They also have monthly contests and give away around 150,000-162000 each month.

If you do go the way of AS, you will get HONEST feedback, if you can get noticed (test movies, trailers help you to get noticed). People do not hold back. And most seem to give good, knowledgeable critiques. You can have OPEN or CLOSED collaboration on the script. You can get feedback either way. OPEN collaboration means people can take your script, rework it, and submit it for contests. If they win, you get a cut. CLOSED means only you can submit.

I say poke around the site, see what you think.

• Admin

Your script can potentially do anything.

I don't mean this in any derogatory way but from my POV your current script has a great premise and impressive potential but it is at the 20 percent mark of where it needs to be in order to translate to a great film. To bridge this gap I think you need input from people you respect (or at least attribute respect to regarding the film refining process). So, a question: Where can you find that?

I'm about half way through a scrub of your current script where I'm mainly identifying words that need to be changed (use of 'there' instead of 'their' is the prime example. 'Woke Up Dead' has the stuff to go the distance but your view needs to be that of being at the beginning of your journey and not the end. Suggestion: Be willing to rewrite that script as many times as needed to achieve perfection.

If you were to go through your script once or twice more with an eye to fix the 'obvious' errors it would be in a state where I think it'd be ready to submit to Amazon Studios. I don't think I'd submit it before those corrections were made however. Those reviewing it will waste time suggesting you correct those mistakes and you'll miss out on more pressing matters of interest to your story. Recommendation: Don't consider your script too preciously.

As Nancy has eluded, there is more to be accomplished than just getting your script optioned via Amazon Studios. (that's the carrot) There is an education in there as well. (that's the stick) It's hard to put a dollar value on education.

Now if "Woke Up Alone" is your only idea... you may not want to release it until you've at least explored some other ideas as well.

As long as you feel Amazon Studios has possession of your best effort this could have an adverse effect on your creativity.

Optimal Course of Action: Grab a notebook and start writing words and sketching images in it to explore some of your other ideas.

Ultimately, if I was a starting scriptwriter, I'd be tempted to make a go of it with Amazon Studios just for opportunity in networking and education.

While the money is the prime motivator for most, it's better to get past that and realize the real value of your story/idea.

The real question is; Will my story get better and will it have a better chance of becoming a film if I take it to Amazon Studios?

Money is just the means of moving toward that end... it provides a comfort zone... so you can more easily move on to the next phase/thing.

Hopefully you have more great ideas where 'Woke Up Dead' came from.

If you get screwed in the rights department at least you'll be able to claim you were screwed by Amazon Studios. ;)

I'm not sure I should try to sway you one way or the other here.

I do think I know exactly what I would do in your situation (after another quick scrub or two on the script).

Yep im still scrubbing through my script. I do have other ideas but this is the only one really fleshed out. I wont be submitting it to AS because its not about the money for me. I just want to tell a good story. But i want to do it my way.

• Admin
But i want to do it my way.

I believe this is a key decision point in whether to submit to Amazon Studios or not.

Doing it your own way is a long term commitment where, for better or worse, you'll get to be the final decision maker (even if the product never actually gets made). Going the Amazon Studios route, for better or worse, relieves you a lot of decision making which shifts/shares the burden for success with other people but at the cost of the end product being much different than originally envisioned.

It's like slow cooking your steak versus frying it up quickly on the grill.

Both will get you some really good eatin' but it's awfully hard to get both via the same cut of meat.