Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

New Character Model

<_< Well, well, well, well. It has been close to an eon now since my last W.I.P. Hopefully some of you might remember me, lol. :unsure:

I have not spent a lot of time with A:M lately because I've been concentrating most of my efforts in story development. I

have finally reached the pre-production phase of modeling my characters. :D

This character is a semi-human, mostly human looking, character from an unknown race (unknown as far as the story goes).

I would like some feedback on my face model and any pointers/improvement I could make to my technigue. So far I have the

base facial mesh going. I'm still trying to tweak the patches around to try to bring out the character. I've been spending a lot

of time this year poly-modelling for work related stuff, so my splinemanship is a little rusty. :blink:

post-6871-1173711159_thumb.png

post-6871-1173711185_thumb.jpg

post-6871-1173711203_thumb.png

post-6871-1173711226_thumb.png

post-6871-1173711247_thumb.png

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good start. He seems abit face forward at the moment. When ever that happens to me, I select the side of the face and rotate it round the side abit. There may be one or two too many spline loops round the mouth.

face forward = asian. ' ' ) that's not necessarily a bad thing.

how realistic are you working for? my first impression is that you could loose half of those splines, and perhaps his eyes are too close together.

overall, a great wip!

-jon

Thanks for the comments, everyone. They all gave me something to think about. This version

incorporated some of your comments. :)

The face is not quite as forward facing as it was. I eliminated a spline loop around the mouth and

over the nose and reconnected some splines.

I worked a bit more on shaping the facial features. I made the lips more full and emasculated

the jaw line a bit (I think). And of course, I regroomed his hair. I haven't done any work on

the eyes and eyebrows are coming soon to a W.I.P. near you. :P

how realistic are you working for? my first impression is that you could loose half of those splines,

and perhaps his eyes are too close together.

I am going for a fairly realistic face structure, but not so much that outrageous expressions look out of place.

One huge thing I notice is that his eyes appear too wide from the frontal views. Maybe I should change that.

What are your thoughts on what I need done there? Eyes have always been a weak point for me.

Thanks for the comments so far, they have been very useful. Keep 'em coming. :D

post-6871-1173778605_thumb.png

post-6871-1173778619_thumb.png

post-6871-1173778631_thumb.png

post-6871-1173778666_thumb.png

It is strange how there is ONLY hair for his pinch and top of head. We should see shaved beard (very short hair)

maybe a 5 o'clock shadow decal...

EDIT: speaking of the goatee shouldn't there be hair on the bottom of the chin too, rather than just janging from the front?

No way, dude....he uses Gilette - The Best a Man Can Get....lol

Yeah, there should. There will be before he is done, I can assure you. (I hope)

Last time I tried a 5 o'clock shadow, it looked like he had mud on his face, though. :blink:

Gotta keep trying. :D

Cool character!

If he's an alien, I think you can make up your own proportions for the eyes. But if you're not wanting that, the normal human face is 5 eyes wide. So there's an eye's width between the two eyes and an eye's width between the outside of the face and the eyes.

Cool character!

If he's an alien, I think you can make up your own proportions for the eyes. But if you're not wanting that, the normal human face is 5 eyes wide. So there's an eye's width between the two eyes and an eye's width between the outside of the face and the eyes.

Thanks, largento. Actually, I should have seen that to begin with after how many times I've read about that proportion in tuts (D'OH).

Yeah, the front view really shows it...eyes WAY too big. :blink:

Update:

1) Made eye a more realistic size.

2) ditched the hair. I didn't like it. The update is back to what my

orignal design was before I started this wip.

Now he's starting to look like the character in my head. :D

I still have to do eyebrows, but I am lacking experience there.

My first several attempts looked pretty bad. If anyone can give

me some pointers on that, I'd really appreciate it. :)

You people have been very helpful, I thank you.

post-6871-1173809744_thumb.png

post-6871-1173809763_thumb.png

post-6871-1173809779_thumb.png

post-6871-1173809791_thumb.png

Cool lookin' guy... I like the eyes the way they are, but I feel that there is something missing about the lips... now they feel as slit in his face... you'll need more definition (and lips - i - ness ( ;o) ))... reference needed (and probably one good look in the mirror wouldn't hurt a bit)

keep us posted...

Well, I've been working on the body a bit. I don't have much muscle definition on the

arms, legs and abdomen yet. I still have a bunch of tweaking to do, but the base mesh

is getting there.

Oh yeah. Obviously the hands and feet aren't done yet.

post-6871-1174426762_thumb.png

post-6871-1174426778_thumb.png

post-6871-1174426793_thumb.png

post-6871-1174426808_thumb.png

I finally finished the modelling on the main body "YEAH". Next weekend (when I can afford Painter) I will texture this

bad boy. In the mean time, I will model the sparse clothing for his first scene and put on some fingernails / toenails.

I really can't wait to rig him and make him spring to life.

spin01.mov

post-6871-1174662196_thumb.png

post-6871-1174662205_thumb.png

post-6871-1174662213_thumb.png

• 4 months later...

Well, after a brief vacation from A:M I decided to at least give this guy something to wear. Here is a test render I did last Sat. night. I havent really gotten all the texturing done, but in this shot it doesn't really matter.

post-6871-1186102576_thumb.jpg

Hey there, thanx for the comment :D Here is a pic with the keylight set back to normal and without the volumetric effect on the rim.

As I said, I haven't textured the clothing and armor at all, just slapped on some surface attributes. The basic coloring scheme I think

I will use, though. Since I got the new A:M Paint this spring, I think I will use that to get the texturing done. I DO have a copy of ZBrush 3

I've been using for my lightwave models, but I'm kinda limited for time (working 70 hr + weeks at my day job) so I think I will just stick

with A:M Paint for now. Some quick test stuff I've done using it really impressed me (and was easy and fast). Hopefully I can get a

final textured model sometime soon. Since my work schedule has been so busy, I've just been creating short re-usable actions and

other short snippets of my animation instead of texturing.

post-6871-1186159450_thumb.jpg

Spin.mov

Hey there, thanx for the comment :D Here is a pic with the keylight set back to normal and without the volumetric effect on the rim.

As I said, I haven't textured the clothing and armor at all, just slapped on some surface attributes. The basic coloring scheme I think

I will use, though. Since I got the new A:M Paint this spring, I think I will use that to get the texturing done. I DO have a copy of ZBrush 3

I've been using for my lightwave models, but I'm kinda limited for time (working 70 hr + weeks at my day job) so I think I will just stick

with A:M Paint for now. Some quick test stuff I've done using it really impressed me (and was easy and fast). Hopefully I can get a

final textured model sometime soon. Since my work schedule has been so busy, I've just been creating short re-usable actions and

other short snippets of my animation instead of texturing.

Man that Amazing Progress from begining to end!

Well done!

Hello All! :D

Attached is a quick animation test I did this morning.

In this scene, my character is undergoing an emotional crisis which triggers an unexpected phenomenon (not shown ;) wait for the final).

I just wanted some feedback on the primary motion and timing of this shot.

Note: secondary animation not keyframed, yet (fingers, facial expressions, etc.)

Enjoy

Action02_test.mov

Wow! Excellent! :)

Top splining and beautifully animated.

It is so good that I don't really want to criticize anything... but couldn't help noticing a CP or two, on his posterior, that might benefit from some weight adjustment.

Would you mind revealing what the patch count is for this guy?

Thanks, Paul :D. That means a lot coming from you ;).

The total patch count is 4931.

I am aware of the posterior, thanks. I created a smartskin to correct most of the

bad stuff, but I figure I can correct the rest in muscle-mode when I get the core

animating done.