Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

eight

My friend and I are totally lazy and we both know it. So we put together a weekly challenge for ourselves. I have to do so many seconds of animation per week, he has to draw 3 full-size comic pages a week for his webcomic. Due mondays, losers buy lunch. :D

Here's what I've got after week one, I'll update each week. (hopefully)

001.jpg

Week One - 3.8 meg Quicktime

We decided on this late last week, so I had less than a couple days to complete the first part.

edit: w00! 200th post!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The initial animation of the 'heroine' looks good, but something is missing from the run... I think it's mostly because everything above her hips is pretty static. Some anticipation of what she was going to do would be in order.

I think the lighting is top notch with the exception of the ambiance on the 'heroine'. After she steps from the brightly lit area, her body continues to glow as if she's still under that bright light and none of your extremely good mood lighting comes across her body at all.

Other than those two things... excellent work.

I love the colored toon shading. (How are you doing that? Post? Colored lights?) As far as the rigging goes, you might want to rethink whatever method you're using for her "wings." The faster she runs forward, the more the inertia and wind resistance will force them into a horizontal position. Unless they're supposed to be completely solid, you'll probably achieve better results if you add some lag.

There's no toon-shader involved in this, it's all low-diffuse surfaces (for the heroine). The colored shading you're talking about, do you mean the blue section of her torso? It's a gradient material, going from dark blue to light between 18 inches of space or so.

Yea the wings are supposed to be cloth. It's weird, I have a FK-IK slider setup for them. I set it to IK and added a dynamic constraint and the movement on it just went wild, even after tweaking. But by that time it was 2 am, I was zonked, so I set the slider to around 50% so that the FK bones would stabilize the motion some.

If I were to go back I'd try to get some better movement out of it, but it's a 17-hour render for that 4 seconds so I dont think it'll happen.

-Uploaded tweaked version so she isn't so bright at the end.

Nope, I know I should have.. but I wanted her shadow to play across the walls and I didnt feel like setting up a shadow pass.

The shots with the robots have a seperate background but those are about it.

From now on I need to have 30 seconds of animation finished per week, completely rendered. So render management and time-saving's gonna be mucho important.

• Admin

Beautiful rendering, setup and animation.

What a great idea you've come up with to keep animating.

Hope you eat more lunches than you have to buy. ;)

If you can afford the time it takes to render separate elements; backgrounds and characters at a minimum your tweaking time will decrease to make up the difference. What you'll gain will be the ability to reuse some shots; duplicate images... there is no end to the flexibility you'd gain.

Really looking forward to your next shot.

Do we get to see your friends web comic too? :)

If you can afford the time it takes to render separate elements; backgrounds and characters at a minimum your tweaking time will decrease to make up the difference. What you'll gain will be the ability to reuse some shots; duplicate images... there is no end to the flexibility you'd gain.

I know, I was just being an idiot this time heh. I've got a tutorial on rendering to passes on my website and yet I still I didnt do it.

Do we get to see your friends web comic too? :)

Yeap, he wants to release a bunch of pages at first and build a bit of a buffer, so it may be a few more weeks til the comic goes up. His current site is at http://www.dartistic1.com/

It seems to me, that if she has that much weight forward, she would be moving much faster forward.... just my opinion ( if i wasnt clear, she should run faster)

Just IMO though.

Good job, the lighting is great : D

Ben