Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Battle Droid

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yea im going to need a rigger actualy seeing as i have no experience in that field. its actualy very important because this previous model (this is actualy a fix up, ill post what it looked like before once im done.) was very dificult for my parnter to animate because of its bones (i belive rigging is bones and if im rong please dont rub it in lol)

I'd like to see him model his avatar......or the milenium falcon.....or....so much choice......

PS You should join up with a Star Wars fan movie project. There was a guy on the forum a while ago making one. Can't remember who, but do a search.

Just so you all know i am working on a fan fic. and i have many more models from star wars comming your way (counted around 15 after battle droid.)

Leo, you wish for a clue whats going to be my next model? my next model IS in fact my avatar, the evil General Grievous! im really looking forward to modeling that one :)

Ok hers a small update of the B droid. iv got its neck done.. and most of its upper body half. still some detail needed on the back.. which is why im not posting the back :P enjoy

post-8907-1148225140_thumb.jpg

no i belive its right...maybe a little off.. but there is a bit of a sharp edge on shoulder. but for the neck, ill look into that

Actually the reason I point it out is that is renders better when you have a very slight bevel or roundness to the edges. It they are too sharp, the render will not have the best results.

By rounding or beveling, I mean just not a single spline on an edge but at least 2 or 3.

It will make a big difference in the final outcome.

Don't get me wrong, it looks really good!!

David

thanks dustin, but what do you mean beveling

ok some before and after here for you all.. im only showing the head and chest of the old one right now cuz those were the main things needing a fix up

Before.......................After

post-8907-1148238752_thumb.jpg

post-8907-1148238772_thumb.jpg

The before is good, but the after is Lucas quality. You'd get a green stamp. :D

As for beveling, here's an example. Imagine these are the cross sections of cylinders just before lathing....

The first uses the least splines as it's just a sharp edge where the spline corner is peaked.

The second uses two cps to contain a fillet (curved edge) made by adjusting the magnitude of the corner spline....which is unpeaked.

The third is a filet where three peaked splines meet producing a flat edge at the corner.

The advantages of two and three are that a specular highlight is produced at the corner making it seem more realistic. Because in reality, every corner is worn and not at perfect right angles.

bev.jpg

The before is good, but the after is Lucas quality. You'd get a green stamp. :D

As for beveling, here's an example. Imagine these are the cross sections of cylinders just before lathing....

The first uses the least splines as it's just a sharp edge where the spline corner is peaked.

The second uses two cps to contain a fillet (curved edge) made by adjusting the magnitude of the corner spline....which is unpeaked.

The third is a filet where three peaked splines meet producing a flat edge at the corner.

The advantages of two and three are that a specular highlight is produced at the corner making it seem more realistic. Because in reality, every corner is worn and not at perfect right angles.

Of the 3, my preference is for the fillet.

Good example Ken!

David

Those leg cylinders are far superior. I'd like to see that in the shoulders. Where are you getting the measurements from? Are you just looking at a model figure and doing it by eye?

umm looking at an action figure will get me nowere :P so i have ep 3 running on this comp and ep 1 on a portable dvd player getting things from there, while i have 20 pics of battle droid i look at in my documents.. i eyeball almost the whole thing

actually the rig for this model would be very easy to di in a day or two max depending on how much time was actuall spent on it. if you need a hand with it email me at chad_hunt2003@yahoo.com

The model looks great by the way!

ya that was a while ago though. I have since, got a full time job with AM so I have not had a chance to make the changes to it I wanted to.

Full time job with A:M.

Cool, can you elaborate?

David

Cant really ellaborate on the job but that it is a dream come true! I tought myseof 3D through the internet and cant draw anything worth a damn but 5 years later, here I am. I dont even have a art back ground!

As for the rig, just shoot me an email with the specifics and I will knock it out for you.

what do you mean they cant lift arms horizontaly? of corse they can lol

Yah, what he means is that they can't lift their arms to the sides, only front and back. If you look at the hinges of their shoulders, the arms will only swing forward and backward, but not to their sides. They either have to have a compound hinge or a ball in socket joint. :)

well your all in luck.. seeing as iv watched scene after scene of the b droids.. im 100% sure they can lift their arms horizontaly.

the very end the the sholder is actualy sorta like a sholder pad.. under is a joint that alows it to move horizontaly.. once i ad more detail under there ill show you

well your all in luck.. seeing as iv watched scene after scene of the b droids.. im 100% sure they can lift their arms horizontaly.

the very end the the sholder is actualy sorta like a sholder pad.. under is a joint that alows it to move horizontaly.. once i ad more detail under there ill show you

Well, Kevin, I can't wait... :D

was that sarcastic? :huh::P

No. I don't do sarcasm. I really am impressed with your work. I can't wait to see more of your work because it is so good, inspirational (no sarcasm, just my true opinion).

Keep up the good work.

Ok... a quick look at the gun, i still have some stuff to add to it but other than that here it is.. now once this is done ill do pack and have a final show of battle droid either tonight or tomorrow

Outstanding work!!