Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Magic Cube

Xtaz

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thx Agep, Mr Jage :

I thought about several rig hypotheses, and I concludes that it would be easier to animate cp´s instead of bones .... in other words, the model neither has bones nor rigs .... what i did was in muscle mode select the part that I wanted, rotate it and create a key frames all time, then i peaked all keyframes .... the problem is the model to shrink maintaining the original height, this I solved using the tool "s" readjusting the inclination of the axis ...

I attached in this message both model and action if you want play whit it :)

cubo.zip

Hi spliners :

I would like to thank to all word....sometimes the solutions are simpler than we imagine, and this is a classic case .....

thanks friends ....

This is wonderful example of OUT OF THE BOX thinking... I donloaded and opened it before reading the text... whan I saw it in action I was amazed and I looked through the model for a while looking for 'hidden bones' - until I figured it out - you got me there, I have to admit...

Great work, thanks for sharina and keep us posted!!!

drvarceto

We called them Rubik's Cubes (named after the mathemetician who designed it). Could never solve one though, or the globe, or the pyramid...

Nice work and excellent technique. I'd probably speed up the rotations a bit though, but that's just me.

the problem is the model to shrink maintaining the original height, this I solved using the tool "s" readjusting the inclination of the axis

I've found that the easiest way to maintain a constant size for the cubies as they rotate is to set keyframes every 45 degrees of rotation. In the attached movie and project, I also keyframed all the CPs in the model in the frame before and after every move in order to prevent the rotations from sliding backward as a result of spline interpolation.

RubiksCube.mov

RubiksCube.zip

Using the same method, I created a variant of the same problem, here in Brazil this toy was called "magic link"....

http://xtaz.com.br/projetos/elo.mov ( 1.2Mb Sorenson )

So you also used muscle animation for this? Since this puzzle has only one axis of rotation, unlike the Rubik's Cube, I think this can be done entirely with bones. The bones for each sliding piece can be hidden in the center of the frame, vertically oriented and colinear with the axis, and they can have Orient Like constraints to each level of the frame that can be turned on and off.

• 4 weeks later...

As you may imagine from my avatar, I am something of a Cube geek. My fastest time for the regular Cube (3x3) is 26 seconds with a modified F2L/layers method, in cube-geekese. I tried to figure out how to rig a cube... in fact, a bunch of us tried, and there's a thread floating around somewhere with that topic. It would be really nice to just have pose sliders labeled "Front," "Right," etc. and have the cube move. The closest analogy for the feature I could think of at 3 in the morning is a layer mask in Photoshop: a image that you don't see, but it controls another image. Imagine geometry with bones that you didn't see, but it controlled whatever geometry happened to be inside it. It would be like a Cube within a cube. You'd build a bunch of interlocking rectangles that enclosed the actual Cube and give them pose sliders. Then, when you turned them, any points inside the affected area would move. This would solve the problem I see with all the examples here: there is still some scaling during the turning. I think building this functionality into a plugin or A:M itself would open up possibilities for a whole new class of movement and automation. It would be great for manipulating specific entities within a swarm or crowd, for example... or is there already a way to do that? Gotta read the manual...

-Zev

As you may imagine from my avatar, I am something of a Cube geek. My fastest time for the regular Cube (3x3) is 26 seconds...
Which was my fastest time too. That was just a fluke, though, as I typically did it in about 53 seconds. I was still at school then, so that would have been about 25 years ago. The 4x4x4 cube was a much more complex beastie - that would take me several minutes to do. My 4-cube was a great aid to stress relief - it had so much more potential than the 3-cube for making pretty patterns - so I was really disappointed when it broke a year or two back. I still have all the bits, so maybe I'll get the glue out and fix it.

• 6 months later...