Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

new jag

lazz

Wow I havent posted here in a while. anywho-

Yea, i soo wish i owned this car. Then again, I soo wish i owned a license :blink: . but anyways. umm, I've been modeling this off and on for the past 3 days or so, I figured id post it for comments or any suggestions on modeling and such. I still consider myself an amateur, but whatever. Its the 2007 XK Jaguar. I'll try to keep updating it as regularly as I can, but in the meantime here's what Ive got so far.

The actual car can be found here:

http://www.seriouswheels.com/2007/2007-Jag...io-1024x768.htm

post-7-1127026411.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post more

Yes sir! Ya, thanks again for the comments. I didnt have a whole lot of time today for more stuff, but I still added a bit. Let me know what you think. Anyways I could get it more smooth would be great. Thanks!

post-7-1127280828.jpg

Thats going along nicely, I wish I could get my latest mechanical model to look as smooth....mine looks like its doing the wave, I can see where planning out a model before starting it could help in ending with a smoother model, usually I have no idea how Ill model until I start and then I chage up and wala, waves...

Michael

Thanks Michael. Haha, ya I know what you mean about the waves thing. I've been readjusting so many CPs, o man. lol. But ya, thanks for the comments guys. Here's another update. This ones not that big of an update, just the little side thing and the door handle, and I redid the hood a bit. I've been busy with school and all so i havent had all the free time I'd have wanted. But ya. If you want to see a different angel to look at it let me know. More comments and crits welcome.

post-1815-1127513312_thumb.jpg

Ok so I've made some more progress. Wahoo! It took a while but I got the back to look relatively decent I think. Comments and Crits are always welcome. Let me know how I'm doing, what else could be done to it, etc etc. Thanks!

post-1815-1127612269_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
That is looking really cool! When it's done can I drive it?

Haha, ya sure no prob. Just bring it back in one piece k? lol

Cool, so ya, I havent updated in a looong time. My bad, but! I do have more progress. So here's what I've done since my last post! Hope you all enjoy it, comments and crits welcome.

post-1815-1129360981_thumb.jpg

that's just awesome! How did you do that withought creases?!

Thanks, well, I'm modeling each piece of the car individually. So that makes it easier to keep things smooth. Also I'm doing a lot (A LOT) of tweaking of CPs. So ya.

I've begun the headlights and the front window but I was kinda in the mood for takin a break so I wanted to see what it would look like with some color and material on it, so I made a quick material and put it on the body of the car and rendered it in a choreography just for fun. So here's the next render new and in color!

Cooment and Critique away :D

post-1815-1129452146_thumb.jpg

oof! i can barely get past modeling something small.

I always thought that these things would be impossible in AM.

But the more i browse the forum and try the software, the more i learn that "modelling takes talent" and a lot of PATIENCE!!!!!!

good work. no wait, excellent work!

If I may ask... are your modeling from blueprint rotoscopes? Drawings? Or something else?

Hey rodney, I found these three shots of it that I've been using as rotoscopes. However, since the the front shot and the back shot were taken in perspective, I've used them more as refrences than real rotoscopes.

[attachmentid=10233]

Very good modeling job. I'm impressed.

Thanks Yves! Thats a lot coming from someone with your talents. :D

oof! i can barely get past modeling something small.

I always thought that these things would be impossible in AM.

But the more i browse the forum and try the software, the more i learn that "modelling takes talent" and a lot of PATIENCE!!!!!!

good work. no wait, excellent work!

Haha, thanks. Seriously though, PATIENCE IS KEY. Oh my goodness you have no idea how many times I've stopped working on this for a few hours out of frustration. But ya, patience really helps when you're tweaking cps over and over, this way and that. ugh. :wacko: lol

Thanks for the comments guys! I've pretty much finished everything with exception to the inside and bottom of the car. Although I might redo the headlights cause I'm not sure if I like the way they came out.

And here are the pics of my model, and a close up of the headlights on the right

post-1815-1129677799_thumb.jpg

post-1815-1129677987_thumb.jpg

post-1815-1129678456_thumb.jpg

patience really helps when you're tweaking cps over and over

Congratulations, you've discovered the most useful tool for modelling smooth mechanical surfaces in A:M. :)

You seem to have reached the inevitable point in the battle of tweaking vs. time that I call the "SCREW IT...IT'S DONE" point. But I do have a few suggestions to improve what already is an impressive model.

There are three obvious regions (illustrated in the attached image) that still require some work, IMHO.

1) The leading edge of the hood just behind the headlamp unit has a bit of a bulge that should respond to bias tweaks.

2) I don't have any confirming reference pictures but the distortion in the seam between the hatch and the rear quarter panel looks wrong to me.

3) The crease at the leading edge of the door handle pocket is similar to an actual sheet metal defect that happens fairly often. (Some stamping plants call them "rabbit-ears" since they tend to occur on both sides of the pocket.) Although they allow a certain amount of such distortion I don't think your creases would pass plant specs.

Lastly, you currently have external panels that have no corners; they're simply infinitely thin curved surfaces, floating in space. You may hope that once the underbody and interior are in place, they will disguise this inaccuracy. But I think you may be disappointed by the look of the car in close-up.

xk_creases.jpg

First, I would like to say that the car looks great. However I would have to agree with Reynolds on the points he touched on. In addition, when looking at the attachment from Reynolds, if you look at the fender, before the door, there is also another dent there, above the tim. Again, great work, and I like to see references of cars, because ever since I got this program I have been wanting to make my car. Hope to see the final project.

James

Ya, I agree with you guys 100%. I saw the thing on the door and was thinking of fixing it. Which I will. along with the headlights. But...

I was gonna start workin on my car AGAIN (man, I just keep putting it off! Ugh!) and so i do. So i start workin on it. And I go to save the project file its in, so i press ctrl+s to save, but as I do this my chair like buckles and I press something else, causing everything to dissapear. So I'm like OMG WHAT DID I DO!?!? so i press undo a million times but nothing comes back, i close the program then reopen it. The model's not gone, but it turns out the only way i can see it is if i render it. otherwise the work view (like looking at it in the regular modeling window) doesn't show up. Soo... does ANYONE have ANY idea of what's going on? Its not just for this model too, its for every screen. choreography screen, action screen, etc. nothing. just a screen of blue. Its a nice blue I'll admit. But still. Any ideas of what's goin on? Martin? anyodys? :unsure:

Thanks for the responses guys, but its not just with that model. Its with every screen. Like I can't see anything, its just the basic color in the background. Thats it, no grid, no wireframe, no nothing, but the model's still there cause i can render it. its with any model i open. even in a choreography w/o a model. nothing shows up until i render. you can't see the ground or the lights or the cameras. Just the basic blue color of the background.

I've messed with the customize preferences and it has no effect. affect? whatever. so ya. anyone know whats goin on.

xade,

Sounds like a video driver issue. Go to the card manufacturer site and make sure all your video card drivers are up to date.

Have you updated to a new version of AM since the last time you worked on this project? Sometime settings get reset... and also those driver issues can get "accentuated" with a new version.

Vernon "!" Zehr

Huzzah! :lol: gre03, thanks! I went to the global properties and the real-time Driver somehow got changed to OpenGL, and when i changed it, everything came back to normal. Wohoo! now i can go back to work on my project. Hmm, I'm still curious as to what I pressed. Can you toggle real-time drivers? whatever. Thanks everyone for trying to help! I'll get back to the jag asap. :D