Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Space Marine - Raw

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The eagles not missing any patches Ken - that's just the style of the motif (used Font wizard and that nice Dingbats link provided on one of the other topics)

My real concern is the front on view and the leg joins at the pelvis. I know I will have to cater for considerable leg bending but am trying to model to avoid a situation where I get interpenitration of the armour - it may be unvoidable else he may start looking 'odd'.

Any ideas on ways around this would be great. The only idea I have is to create a pose slider that will allow me to shrink the length of the front of his thigh armour as his legs bend!

Cheers

excelent! :D

Is that from starcraft?

No, he's based on the Games Workshops Warhammer 40K Space Marine models (with some variations gleamed from Blurs game cinematic for 'Dawn of War') I'm going for a 'Toy Soldier' look rather than photorealism.

Cheers

First off- great model! it really looks like a classic Space Marine. It's really modeled just like them.

You're facing the classic problem of Space Marine Armour. There's no way in hell those guys could even draw their weapons from side holsters with that arm-armour on.

The rear of the Knee joint and the hip shows it really well. How could that guy sit in a chair?

Basicly, unless you want to go into muscle or deal with intersection, you're going to have to tweak the joints to make them useful. You may want to reference Shirow Masamune's work for a good look at the way power armour joints would work.

I should note that this will mean that your Space Marines will look a little unlike the GW versions. Though given how litigious they are, this may be a good thing. :ph34r: But at least you won't have that classic problem where if he shrugs or tries to climb that ladder you see in the background of all those pretty Space Hulk pictures, he won't squeeze his head off like a zit. :blink:

Couldn't the armour be semi-flexible? You'd think that in the 40th Century Kevlar would have developed something that bends when a low-speed force is exerted (sitting down) but doesn't yield when a high-speed force is applied (bullet).

Custard does that! I think I will patent custard body armour.

Couldn't the armour be semi-flexible? You'd think that in the 40th Century Kevlar would have developed something that bends when a low-speed force is exerted (sitting down) but doesn't yield when a high-speed force is applied (bullet).

Custard does that! I think I will patent custard body armour.

So you like your custard cold :P I prefer mine hot and just starting to skin.

You'll have to wait for the Image contest results to see the colour version of this guy B) (If I ever get the rig finished - assigning 13000 patches to bones is a real pain)

Cheers

Cool model! I was shocked when I read... 13,000 patches! Man, I was going nuts with my dragon and it ended with just 5,000! I thought nobody could handle that... :o

And why do you think I am putting so much effort/detail into my model? :P

Your dragon is one very good model. I tried my hand at modelling a dragon a couple of years ago but it just didn't look right.

Cheers

Well I've just finished off the standard Space Marine model (with helmet and 2 normal arms) and just rendered it in my blocking scene for the Image contest and I blew myself away. Only my animation mentor has seen it (but I haven't had a reply from him yet - maybe he fainted :P )

I just wish I could show you guys what I have so far - but it's so close to the finished product you'll just have to wait for the image contest :)

I appologise ahead of time to my fellow compeditors. Your going to have to put in the extra mile for this comp if you want to win :P

But then again - I'm biased B)

Cheers

I had a look on your Space Marine model. Really impressed!!!!

:rolleyes:

Perhaps I have to be a bit modest. Just a newbie. Sure I am wondering a bit about your modeling/animation. There is his counterpart? The woman?

The space is already there to see. And that is fine.

But give this guy someone to love! Someone to speak to. Just a suggestion... Perhaps the Space Marina is already modeled?

And I want some action between them... And I want both of them to sit down to meditate.... thinking and feeling a bit... trying to understand what their I:s have to do out there in space.....

You and I are also out there on our sattellite called the earth - circling the sun. You are as I have understood on the opposite side of the sattellite. Perhaps some day we will meet having a beer or a cup of tea somewhere on our earth-sattellite?!.,

I will come back and have a look on what is happening to your Space Marine - Space Marina?!.,. Best wishes!

Which 'eagle' are you referring to? The icon on his chest armour is not an eagle. The Banner head is an eagle (see image below) build via the font wizard and reshaped in the Z axis Raw, there are some creasing issues but these are not visible once the material has been put on it.

Cheers

The character you have made here gave me a VERY professional impression of your work. But 13.000 patches? I thought I was over the edge with my 10.000 patches on my McLaren... ??? Anyway, I like your work!

Thanks guys,

After a couple of years experience in AM (and nothing else), modelling, to me, is the easy part. Rigging, texturing and composition are the hard bits.

Right now I think I have the final image blocked out (everything completed except for posing the characters) This time round, rather than completing the image in a single render, I have rendered 7 separate layers and composited them (4 layers were constructed in Photoshop - simple render > clouds layers) and I have applied various levels of bluring to the background layers to give me some depth of field (much easier to do it this way than spending the time experimenting in AM)

Cheers

Yeah- it was that upper eagle, but now I can see there is some inner detail there. I use the AI wizard a lot too, and know that sometimes it can only get you 80% of the way there...still highly usefull tho-... I just thought I saw some 'dancing' pixels at the end of the QT up high on his right wing...most likely due to compression.

LOL, These guys want you to know that they are comming :D

I used various sources. I have my own collection of Warhammer minatures, plus all the books and manuals, White Dwarf Magazine etc etc etc. I also studied Blurs 'Dawn of War' to see what changes they made that would make animating these characters a little easier.

All the models are basically the same. Some detail is different (ie the repair patch on the Seargents shoulder armour and the power claw are not present on the troopers and, of course, the seargent carries the squads banner.)

I've now got all the models textured, decalled and posed. All I need to do now is add some minor detail like grenades etc. and my scene/image is complete (and it only takes 50 minutes to render at 800x600 with a huge number of DT's, 3 characters, terrain, rocks, pebbles, grass and 25 lights). AM is just amazing :)

Cheers

LOL, These guys want you to know that they are comming 

Zactly! Space Marines are not cowards! those bloody Space Orcs will perrish...

I've now got all the models textured, decalled and posed. All I need to do now is add some minor detail like grenades etc. and my scene/image is complete (and it only takes 50 minutes to render at 800x600 with a huge number of DT's, 3 characters, terrain, rocks, pebbles, grass and 25 lights). AM is just amazing

APPAPPAPP! hold it there ono momento! "AM is just amazing"? well, if AM is amazing, then you are breathtaking. "A tool is nothing without the creator" and of course, the other way arround.