Hash, Inc. Forums

New SOULCAGE DEPARTMENT Spot

Elm

Very well done, effective timing and rythm, excellent lighting, masterfully executed.

How long do you take to do such a commercial and how many people work on that? Can you tell us about your work pipeline?

How long do you take to do such a commercial and how many people work on that? Can you tell us about your work pipeline?

first of all thanks, we're glad you like it.

on this spot worked 5-7 people for about a month.

im not sure how to describe our work pipeline...

we start with storyboards, to fix the scenes for the planned spot and to get an overall impression of the effort.

than we cut your drawings together with layout sound (if there is a need for sound - in fact this time we totally worked without sound) to get a timing for the spot and to figure out if all planned shots can take place in the desired timeframe. during this time we usually model the main characters and props. when we and the agency agree with an animatic, we can start animating. every drawn scene now can be replaced with an animated shaded preview to discuss about final changes in animation, timing and direction.

we also provide final stills to our clients so they can get an impression of the final look.

if a scene is approved we start rendering.

we render in several passes: flat, light, spec, plush, particle, several masks.... to have more freedom in the compositing, wich is done in adobe after effects.

rendering in passes

greetz...

I have never been as impressed with anybody's talents and use of A:M as I am with your group of talented folks. Your work is more than inspiring. God bless and keep it up!

By the way I laughed my ass off! :D

your fan

Dimos

Great job guys!!

We'd love to see you post some of your amazing work up on A:M Films. I know that some of your clients won't let you, but we should put the rest up. We've been getting a LOT more activity on A:M Films lately, and every film you post will have a link back to your site. Last week we got 43,000 unique hits in a single day!! As more blogs link to us, we're going to see more days like that. It would give you guys a lot more exposure.

You guys totally rock!

-Ken Baer.

Hash, Inc.

I love the snow landscape and the cityscape. How were they done?

The landscape was done pretty simple - just some patch hills equipped with gradient snow, that's been adjusted in bump scale 'n so on. There were used three different material adjustments - one very fine snow for the foremost layer, then a snow material with less details for the middleground, and a third material for the background layer - where the bump simulates smaller hills of snow on the patches. Of course you only get nice results if you render out multiple passes for each light (there was a "sun" and a "moon" light, as well as a POISSANT DOME (Y E E E A A A H H H) - 25 lights zbuffered.

The city at the end was more tricky - it was our first successful try with displacement maps - and it worked out very well. the greatest problem here was to get windows mapped on the displaced patches from a 90 degree angle. this was done by setting up a light that shines through a cookie cut mapped patch (mapped with the windows that led the light pass through). this light, of course casted shadows. The displaced city did NOT cast shadows, so the "window-light" could reach all displaced patches of the city.

We even could have done the city with simple image planes, but in fact it is 3D, just for the challenge. I put the city layer on our server, so you can see, that we even put small "cars" into it. this is an animated colour map, done in after effects. Unfortunately, you can't even see these in the final spot...

http://www.soulcage-department.de/Saturn-City.mov (6 MB)

And here's a downloadable version of the spot:

http://www.soulcage-department.de/Saturn-Weih-Soul-Sml.mov (10 MB)

Greetings, elm. :ph34r:

The city at the end was more tricky - it was our first successful try with displacement maps - and it worked out very well. the greatest problem here was to get windows mapped on the displaced patches from a 90 degree angle. this was done by setting up a light that shines through a cookie cut mapped patch (mapped with the windows that led the light pass through). this light, of course casted shadows. The displaced city did NOT cast shadows, so the "window-light" could reach all displaced patches of the city.

This is pure genius. No wonder you are so successfull. You have both superb artistic, acting and storytelling skills and brilliant ingenuity.

This is pure genius. No wonder you are so successfull. You have both superb artistic, acting and storytelling skills and brilliant ingenuity.

I'm glad someone understands it! :D