Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

A new dinosaur

Hey everyone,

I recently stated elsewhere that I was going to take the comments I got on my demo reel to heart and rework it so that I incorporated all the suggestions. Well, I haven't done that yet, because I decided to build myself a Tyrannosaurus rex. I always wanted to, and now is as good a time as any. Comments welcome!

http://www.dinocarl.com/aesthetics/theropo.../trexbellow.jpg

Carl

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn cool! I assume you used the teeth from the scull? Are you going to add bumps to the skin with displacement/bump maps?

I'm interested to know what companies you're applying to.....do they deal with splines? If not, do you have a knowledge of modelling with polys?

• Hash Fellow

An impressive beast! T-rexes sure have come along way since those cubist things in Fantasia ;)

two thoughts:

-I recall an archaeologist saying that because of the way the bones are shaped, they really wouldn't have been able to do that curvy tail wag. I think you'll get away with it though.

- only 70 million years old and he's got bags under his eyes!

• Admin

Ultra Cool! I really like him even untextured.

I know your concentration is on modeling and I can say it looks like you've really got modeling down.

Textures will make what is awesome... incredible.

Maybe you could team up with a texture guru and combine your efforts. That might be worth the effort.

Much success to you in your efforts DinoCarl!

• Admin

Ultra Cool! I really like him even untextured.

I know your concentration is on modeling and I can say it looks like you've really got modeling down.

Textures will make what is awesome... incredible.

Maybe you could team up with a texture guru and combine your efforts. That might be worth the effort.

Much success to you in your efforts DinoCarl!

Thanks a lot for the positive feedback, everyone! Texturing will certainly be a hefty effort, but I plan on starting that next week. I'm finishing up the smartskinning and mesh tweaking right now. Here's a wire frame of the same scene.

http://www.dinocarl.com/aesthetics/theropo...es/trexwire.jpg

The whole model is around 6000 patches where almost half are concentrated in the head. I decided to be as fussy as I wanted with this model and not worry at all about being patch-conservative.

Ken, you're right about the teeth being from my T. rex skull the small version of which is my avatar, and the fullsize version can be seen here. As a matter of fact, I was using that model as a reference to build this model. It fits pretty snuggly inside this model.

As for the job hunt, I've been concentrating my search to the Chicago area (where I live), and not worrying too much about technical requirements of the jobs I apply to. I can't say this is an effective approach as it has as yet borne no fruit. But I remain hopeful that my A:M spline work will land me my next job. : )

Beautiful work!

Far be it for me to criticize, since most of my modeling consists of lots of primities stacked on top of eachother :), but I noticed the lines running down his neck. They kinda stick out as too angular. Is this on purpose?

But any way you look at it, that model is amazing.

Hi again everyone!

I've updated the T. rex model. I've been slooooowly texturing him over the last 2 weeks. I'm close to finishing the head, but thought I'd drop in real fast to see what you guys thought. : ) Texturing is not my forte, and I'm taking my time with this model because it's important to me that it look really good.

http://www.dinocarl.com/aesthetics/theropo...trexbellow2.jpg

Carl

Thanks, Ross and Sofabutt, and a belated thank you to Justin.

Ross, to answer your question, I am painting all the maps in Photoshop. I start with the bump map and use that as a guide for the color map. I paint in all the bumps and ridges pretty much the same way that William was for his Balrog. Then I do another pass for the scales (not yet done on this version). Then I start having some fun with the coloring.

Stay tuned for more!

Carl