sprockets Live Answer Time Demo Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Barry Zundel has left Pixar

Shelton

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

(Note: After awhile this topic will move to the Barry Zundel Users Group... so folks that follow him and his tutorials can keep up)

Most people into animation say they'd love to work for Disney/Pixar but few get the chance to do that.

Barry is one of those fortunate few.

He's been there. He's done that. He enjoyed the experience too.

The funny thing about reaching one's goals is that once you do you have to set new goals.

There are aspects of working for any of these major companies that cannot easily be reproduced but there are also those elements that you have to set aside when you enter into them. There is also the fact that once you work for Pixar you may find yourself at the zenith of your hiring potential.

So if you want to make a move (for family or other related reasons) there is an optimal time to make that move.

Wait and you may have missed the prime opportunity.

Barry will be successful no matter where he settles.

And now he'll always have great memories of working for Pixar to look back on to go with that success too.

From Barry's blog, on "Tool Productivity Curve" (follow up to "Why 3D Software Stinks) - posted July, 2012

Between my Junior and Senior year at BYU, I got an internship at a small video game studio in SLC called Avalanche Software. They didn't use the mighty Maya. They used and obscure piece of software I had never heard of called Animation:Master. It wasn't Nurbs. It wasn't polys. It was spline patches. My first assignment was to sit down and model a head. So I did - the way I had done poly models. Not knowing how splines worked, it turned out horrible. I couldn't understand why anyone would want to work like that. But I was doing it the Maya way - the only way that I knew how. Maya made perfect sense to me...that was, until I saw the light. I then understood why they used it. It was simple, fast, efficient, and streamlined, even if it was buggy :) We flew through assets like Maya only dreamed of.

In the ensuing years, I used A:M exclusively and came to understand what "usability" really is. It is still one of the best examples of a truly non-linear pipeline ever. Nothing that I have tried has ever come close.

In the ensuing years, I used A:M exclusively and came to understand what "usability" really is. It is still one of the best examples of a truly non-linear pipeline ever. Nothing that I have tried has ever come close.

You are not too often on the hash.com-startpage, right? ;)

See you

*Fuchur*

• Hash Fellow

Pixar is known for paying not-very-much. And they can because there's no shortage of people who will work for Pixar for not-very-much.

I'll presume that his new job at Nike is not just better hours but better pay.