sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Spot the error

robcat2075

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been watching the complete Flintstones episodes.

Can you identify the animation error in this shot?

FlintLoop.mov

It should loop automatically for you.

That rock looks like it's just moving left and right without an arc.

Edited by Rodney
Invisi-texted but now revealed again

• Hash Fellow
That rock looks like it's just moving left and right without an arc.

Ding, ding, ding! That's right!

I presume that the animator drew the left and right extremes, gave it to his assistant to inbetween and by gosh... he inbetweened!

It's exactly the problem that Richard Williams describes on p. 49 of "The Animator's Survival Kit" but I never thought I'd see it in the wild.

I presume that the animator drew the left and right extremes, gave it to his assistant to inbetween and by gosh... he inbetweened!

It's exactly the problem that Richard Williams describes on p. 49 of "The Animator's Survival Kit" but I never thought I'd see it in the wild.

Almost worse, if/when he drew the two extremes, he should have the rock rotate to keep it normal to the radius of the swing. A pure rookie mistake I'm sure I've made myself. Good lesson!

• Hash Fellow
Ok What was it?

The problem is that even thought it's hanging on a string it's somehow moving horizontally instead of on a curve like a swinging pendulum would.

And, as Bruce noted, even the extremes are wrong since the rock doesn't tilt at all.

It wouldn't have cost any more to do it right, but someone wasn't paying attention. (And someone else probably said "we're not paying to redo that... shoot it !")

It's not a catastrophe, but an odd little lapse for a show that's generally well-executed even within its very limited budget scope.