Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Liquid help?

TheSpleen

What I would like is to be able to make small leaks of different strengths throughout my Ark.

And on this possible title clip I am wanting a splash of water hitting the Earth, but not alot.

Like when someone throws a drink in another persons face. The Earth is that face and I want it to splash and drip.

Is that possible?

Point me in the direction if this is feasable?

Tutorial?

Thanks!

Gene

title2.mov

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't offer too much of an assist, but my first thought is that a sprite emitter would be the way to go for the high-pressure leaks. I really haven't gotten my feet wet with fluids yet (pun intended.) :-)

I can't offer too much of an assist, but my first thought is that a sprite emitter would be the way to go for the high-pressure leaks. I really haven't gotten my feet wet with fluids yet (pun intended.) :-)

I am willing to give it a shot.

You'd have to experiment, but one thing to try might be to put a container shape under the emitter and then animate it like you would the glass if you were throwing a glass of water in someone's face. Give it some time to "fill up" first.

but how do I make water?

where do I start?

There is water and then there is water...

I haven't really played with liquids - here's one tutorial

here's BigBoote's quickie intro to fluids

John the Bigboote Campbell Soupie-Floopie man - also has done a video - use search on "liquids" and ye shall find -

And then again - there is cloth, or just making a surface and displacing cps - all depends on whatcha wants to do.

Hey Gene, the really short version is that you create a material and change the attribute type to fluids. Then you create a model with at least one patch and apply that material to it. That will create an emitter that you can place in your choreography. Fiddling with all of the settings is the time consuming part.

Fluids are very memory and CPU intensive! I think Serge has an i7 with lots of RAM. (Lucky guy!)

You could try turning down the number of particles until you get to a stage where A:M stops crashing.

------------

Edit:

I see what is happening now. The project opens with particles turned on and the frame counter at 01:00. This means that you will have to wait for A:M to calculate and plot all of the fluid particles for the whole animation before you will be given control. Just wait and then immediately turn off particles. Make sure that they are turned off in any other windows that you may have open! Save the project now to ensure that it opens with particles off next time. Leave particles off until you have turned down the Rate of Emission and then try turning particles on again in just one window. Find the level that your machine can handle and then render to see if the effect still stands up. If not then play with the properties.

In Serge's example I think that you can turn initial velocity right down to 0 because the liquid is just being collected in the container.

trying a 10 second render of his prj file

first frame at 4 hours and counting, must be figuring out all 10 seconds

AM does seem to be running as the little alien guys are constantly beating each other.

I will let it run and see what happens. Once initial frame is done rest should go faster.

When doing test renders just to see what is happening, it helps to render at the lowest resolution you can get away with while still being able to see what tis going on. Also, rendering multipass with 1 pass speeds things up to.

I do not understand why in a camera view occurs clipping

(Particles are cut off by square area)

I think I read this is a new feature Steffen added to that latest A:M (15J+). It is supposed to help speed up fluids in real time I think.

• Developer
I do not understand why in a camera view occurs clipping

(Particles are cut off by square area)

I think I read this is a new feature Steffen added to that latest A:M (15J+). It is supposed to help speed up fluids in real time I think.

There is a speedup only for very big fluidsystems , where particles much outside the viewport

Particles are cut off because of the included parametre "Clipping to visible viewport = ON"

wj.jpg

video without clipping:

w_wcrop.mov

On the rests of drops on sphere it is possible to notice that water is not linked (not glued) to rotating sphere though flows down on it

post-183-1269439460_thumb.jpg

Fluids are tricky!

I have played around wiht this so much and have had frozen renders for about 90% of my attempts. I have had to turn off alot of surface properties and have reduced the rate of emissions to just 300 diminishing to 0 over about 3 frames. I haven't figured out what causes the freeze for sure but it is probably a combination of settings.

This was my last attempt:

Drips_AM01_k.mov

Not great but has potential. :)

--------------------------------

Edit:

This one is a little better. Slightly more particles and I animated the "Cull Particles" property so that the splash would look more like a splash.

post-183-1269440901_thumb.jpg

Drips_AM01_l.mov