Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Prepurchase question

MajorDill

I think your product looks great. The tutorials really are a good sales tool even if that was not the intention.

I was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions before I buy.

Maybe I haven't looked closely enough but is there somewhere that gives the specs for the minimum and ideal computer (speed memory etc) that your software will run on?

What is your policy on running the program on two different computers . Currently I run large renders (2+ hrs) on a faster computer while I continue to work on another (does this require 2 copies, network license, site license, don't care)

While I don't mind copy protection, I do mind registration protection. How does your software work in regards to this?

(.... I bought another product several years ago...after you enter your 16 digit password you then have 7 days to register to recieve another password...they went out of business...I bought another computer....now I cannot xfer this program to

the new machine because I can't re register with an "out of business" business ...which is why I'm shopping for a new program)

I read in the forum where sometimes people submit models for the community to download. How(where) can I view them. I can't seem to find a link?

Thank-you

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

Welcome to A:M!

Maybe I haven't looked closely enough but is there somewhere that gives the specs for the minimum and ideal computer (speed memory etc) that your software will run on?

Ideal? faster and more is always better.

I had 1 G Ram and an Athlon 3200XP and was pleased, but that was with Win2000. I understand WinXP and Vista use more RAM so I think 2Gigs might be a better minimum today.

Expensive video cards do not greatly affect performance in A:M.

What is your policy on running the program on two different computers . Currently I run large renders (2+ hrs) on a faster computer while I continue to work on another (does this require 2 copies, network license, site license, don't care)
If you buy the CD version ($299) you can take that CD to as many computers as you want to install and run. A:M needs the CD to be in the drive every time you start it. After it is started you can take the CD out.

The download version ($79) is locked to one computer. Also, it expires in one year; the CD doesn't.

While I don't mind copy protection, I do mind registration protection. How does your software work in regards to this?

(.... I bought another product several years ago...after you enter your 16 digit password you then have 7 days to register to recieve another password...they went out of business...I bought another computer....now I cannot xfer this program to

the new machine because I can't re register with an "out of business" business ...which is why I'm shopping for a new program)

Sounds like you'd be more comfortable with the CD version which doesn't involve online registration. The online download version does use online registration.

Ditto Rob---

The BEST way to find a model is right here on the forum...

If people have something you need, they may be happy to share it with you. They may also know where you can find one, or even buy one. There is a data DVD available for purchase with a LOT of usefull projects, materials, models props and characters....

WELCOME!

Two links to A:M-Models...

Egginton - Free Collection

Eggprops - Quite cheap

Best thing to get if you want A:M Models:

ExtraDVD

And of course you should have a look at the forum here.

You will get many useful infos and help to create everything you need and sometimes people post models for download here too...

*Fuchur*

I too am considering this program. I am concerned at the lack of information available on the site. The fact that the CD is required in the drive is also another big minus. No tutorials, program information, system requirements, manual downloads, on line help, or demos: are you sure you want to sell this program to people?

• Admin
I too am considering this program.

Entirely your decision to make. You'll find A:M an excellent program.

Let me address of few of your concerns though...

I am concerned at the lack of information available on the site.

You are kidding right?

What information is it you are lacking?

The fact that the CD is required in the drive is also another big minus.

If you purchase the CD version of A:M you'll tie yourself to the CD but those of us who have opted for the $79 download... have no need for the CD. The CD is not required to run A:M.

No tutorials,

Say what? I can't keep my collection of tutorials organized as it is.

Keep looking... you'll find 'em eventually.

program information,

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest this is by design.

Its an effort to help people concentrate on features already available versus what can be conceived in the mind.

Its not hard to find what features are available though.

Easiest way to find out... ask! :)

system requirements,

Three clicks of a mouse on the Hash Inc site reveals: system requirements

manual downloads,

Are you unhappy that there are manual downloads or that there aren't... not sure here?

Manual downloads of what?

on line help,

I've been told Hash Incs online help is the best in the business (whether Hash Inc the company or the community you meet here in this forum). As a satisfied customer I happen to agree with that assessment.

or demos:

You got that one right. :)

There is little need for a demo with a program that only costs $79 but delivers (my opinion here!) $1500 worth of features.

If you need a demo to be able to see that A:M is the program for you... Link / Link ...it may be best to move on to a more expensive product. Save yourself $79-$299 in the process. ;)

are you sure you want to sell this program to people?

A:M isn't for everyone. You'll know if its right for you.

But... way to make an entrance. ;)

Rodney, you have more patience than me! But to clarify a couple of points:

I think "lack of info on the site" meant on the Hash Inc. site and not the forums. I think this is a fair observation because we all have come to depend on the forums for info.

I also suspect that "manual downloads" was referring to the manual. But jpfife is wrong about this one. He is just unfamiliar with the enormous quantity of support info available.

• Admin
I think "lack of info on the site" meant on the Hash Inc. site and not the forums. I think this is a fair observation because we all have come to depend on the forums for info.

You are right Gerry. I don't mean to suggest this is not a fair observation on his part.

I assumed he meant the main Hash Inc site.

Its designed to be very basic.

I think the idea (my opinion only!!!) is to discourage those who shouldn't be interested. ;)

As I said... if A:M is right for you... you just know it.

(This isn't meant to suggest that you won't have some doubts... I did.)

• Admin

Just as a note of contention...

A google search on "animation:master features" turn up more information about A:M than you can shake a tree at.

Here is some information still on the Hash Inc site that isn't readily linked to.

Shhhh... its a secret!

Interface Features

Modeling Features

Animation Features

Rendering Features

Materials and Object Attributes

Effects and Miscellaneous

(Yes these lists are a little old. Probably one of the reasons why they aren't linked into the front page.)

Hi there, thanks for the responses. Yes I am talking about the main site. Only four links and no information. Most software sites are more than happy to have pages about the software, telling potential users how good it is and what it does. I'd rather not dig around the forums to find information that should be on the site. On the subject of manuals I was thinking about PDF files available for download. Again a lot of software has PDF manuals for users. I've found them to be a very effective insight into the software.

So Rodney, the system requirements are on an update page? Not the most intuitive place to put it.

All the links are great but on the front page of the website there are only four links: Support, Gallery, Two, Forum. None of these indicate information. And I don't see a direct link to 'Products.'

I know you'll all defend a program you love, and I've done the same, but if the casual browser to the site has no information they can hardly make an informed decision can they? If the main site is deliberately obtuse (as in Rodney's opinion) the program makers deserve every bit of obscurity they get. If, however, it is just an over site of design I look forward to more information appearing on the site, and direct links being on the front page.

I'll put a purchase down as a 'no thanks' for the moment.

• Admin
I'll put a purchase down as a 'no thanks' for the moment.

Good luck with your search.

Edit: Manual and Tech Ref in PDF format... a manual manual download... two clicks off the main page... click... click. (note: it does take 3 clicks to get the download)

The opposite of deliberately obtuse.

Hash is a small company and they spend all their time improving the program, so some of these details may get overlooked. As Rodney said, spend some time doing searches for user sites, testimonials and tutorials and other support resources to get a full picture. A:M users have been described as a cult on CG Talk!

EDIT- Hey, those are some great links Rodney! I've never even seen some of those pages!

I was going to delete this thread but I thought I'd explain Hash's position:

We don't want customers who expect us to be their personal 3D trainers, troubleshooters, coaches, salesman, or anything else where we owe them. Do the math in your head - if we sold 100 new subscriptions to people like that, we'd make

Anybody who thinks I must run MY “business” some other way can pound sand.

(not word for word-statement) "Hash-People are like a Patch-cult..." - said the boy from the Polygone-Cult...

I made a small Softwarefocus-section on my Website about A:M....

It is not about a pure featurelists (although there are some of the more important once listed) but about the flow and feeling of A:M.

I although offer Videotutorials and text tutorials (both free) on my website...

It will give you some answers: Softwarefocus A:M

But just to say it featurewise:

A:M has everything you will need to do almost any job imagineable and it is technical on one level with other softwarepackages if not above...

(depends on your view on patches/splines).

Hope this helps a bit

*Fuchur*

PS: I hope this one is okay for you too, Martin. I think it just gives a small overview about what is possible with A:M but is not focused too much on features, etc. People have to know a bit about the software... I dont think that they will be too much of a demending crowd if they know a bit about A:M.

For me A:M is the best 3d-programm because of the flow and fun A:M is offering. Any other 3d-programm laggs in this area in my opinion. But people cant know that, so maybe it would be something to add to the A:M page.

Just some short infos about A:M something like:

"A:M is a patchbased 3d-programm which can give you the power to create your own 3d-movies even on the kitchentable for little money."

There could be some screenshots of A:Ms interface (maybe with an active TWO or SO-scene in them) and maybe a link to Gregs Demo or so...)

"Create your own 3d-animations and let your stories become alive like many others did before you!"

(Link to A:M Films, A:M Stills and the Milestones-Site)

"Help is always available at the forum for everyone who wants to create something!

(Link to the forum)

"Or become part of something big! Join the Community and create a full-feature-length 3d-movie with us!"

-> Links to the TWO/SO-Wiki and maybe some images of TWO and SO.

"Become a part of it today: Buy Animation:Master for only 79 Dollars here."

(Link to the shop)

I hope this doesnt make me to one of these guys:

"We don't want customers who expect us to be their personal 3D trainers, troubleshooters, coaches, salesman, or anything else where we owe them."

It is just a thought and maybe you got a good reason for not doing it, but it maybe worth a thought...

Thanks martin, thanks rodney...

It's been there for two month or something like that now...

@Rodney - You may want to check the what&how-section again ;) Dont know if you already know my heighttutorial (which had a wrong linking and didnt work till now)...

*Fuchur*

I had a rather shaky start on the forum as well, a couple of months back :blink: , but then I got over myself and began learning the software. I couldn't be more pleased with the performance and power of A:M. I decided to go with the web subscription. My thinking at the time of purchase was that even if it took me three years to learn the software and create something worth looking at, A:M would still be less expensive than any application on par with its capabilities. In no time at all I had modeled a character from head to toe (minus clothing that is), then began testing rigs.

I started out with "The Art of Animation Master" video tutorials & the "Technical Reference" PDF manual; both of which I found exactly three clicks off the main page... LOL (Home> Support> New Users>...)

I've only been here for a short time, but in my opinion, this community is worth the price of the web subscription.

In answer to the original poster's question regarding system requirements, I found this:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

PC with Windows XP, or Vista

Mac with OSX 10.4.11 or later

1.5 GHZ or faster processor

512 MB ram

Not sure if these are still valid requirements, but I agree with robcat2075, "faster and more is always better".

I bought a subscription 2 months ago. So I am a newbie here. :huh:

Since my purchase I am way way more happy with this animation program than I ever dreamed.

In the short time I have been using A:M I have created many characters and 2 film shorts!

How's that for ease of use?!!

I will deffinantly be buying the CD and every dagnabit extra they offer!

Granted this is just my opinion but for ease of use and the sheer power and versatility of the program, The cost is extremely fair.

So there,

The Spleen / Robert Thompson

WOW--- those last two posts from our newer members say a LOT! In 2 months 'TheSpleen' has created many characters and 2 shorts! AMSpector is using TAOAM and the Technical Reference and is pleased with the power and performance. BOTH members have been quite active here on the forum... I think THESE are users that fit Martin's description, above. GOOD WORK GUYS!!!

Whoa, I can't believe theSpleen has been using A:M for only 2 MONTHS! I am completely green with envy. I've been using this app for going on ten years and have only begun doing characters and character animation in the last two years, and not very successfully!

The Spleen's progress is in itself is a great testimonial. I wonder if MajorDill and pjfife are even stopping back here anymore. But by making a snap judgement they are really losing out.

• Admin
But by making a snap judgement they are really losing out.

In a way that is rather the point here.

Someone who can't find their way to their answers via this forum or the current website just isn't going to do well with A:M (at least not until they make the adjustment).

There is a mindset we all have that sets us out to promote A:M 'better' and share it with the world.

Its an honorable thing but the effort often misplaced.

If only...

If only the website said this...

If only A:M did that...

If only Martin would listen to me... dammit!

Guys and gals, we've got to get over that.

(as AMSpector says, "get over ourselves"?)

Admittantly, thats going to be hard to do as a newbie or a potential customer.

But its essential to success.

One cannot 'Yosh Yosh'* and coddle the defiant infant until it ceases to rant.

*'Yosh Yosh': the japanese equivalent of saying 'There There' while patting a child on the bottom or back letting them know things will soon be better.

We've watched many an A:M user rise to success here in the forum.

Their success and satisfaction with A:M seems directly porportional to how much they try to turn A:M or its user base into something else.

To pjfife what can be suggested?

If you have specific questions about A:M... here is a good place to ask. :)

• Admin

In reading back I see I took this topic in a bit of a different direction after Pjfifes post.

Sorry about that MajorDill!

I think all of your queries have been answered.

As specs change constantly for computers this is a good one to ask about here in the forum.

(others will offer their suggestions concerning your needs)

AMSpector posted the minimum specs for A:M:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

PC with Windows XP, or Vista

Mac with OSX 10.4.11 or later

1.5 GHZ or faster processor

512 MB ram

The license is per user and applies to one computer.

Hash Inc does offer other licenses to fit your specific needs. Drop them an email and ask.

Your best option is going to be the A:M CD.

The websubscription must be refreshed each year.

The CD you can use 'as is' forever.

I read in the forum where sometimes people submit models for the community to download. How(where) can I view them. I can't seem to find a link?

A lot of models are shared right here in the forum. One could say its a benefit of being involved in the community.

There is an Extra DVD available with 5GB of data via the online store ($30).

Content from most of the Extra DVD's precursor (the Extra CD) can be found HERE.

Again my apologies for taking us off topic.

Rodney that sounds a bit odd... "Dont give the people basic informations... If they are not able to get them by themselves they wont do good anyway..."

When I started with A:M in 2000 I started with it because of a little folder I got where A:M was promoted a little bit... (in a way I described it in my previous post).

I liked the idea of being able to do characteranimations because the software I used before (discontinued since 2000) was not able to do that.

But if noone would have told me about A:M and the website at that time wouldnt have been filled with informations about A:M, I wouldnt have bought it...

(or better to say I wouldnt have been able to talk my dad into buying it for me for x-mas...)

I am absolutly and totally believing that it is never a mistake to say a little bit about the product you are offering on a website.

In which way is a matter of taste and strategey of the company, but any potential customer who want to buy a software want to get some basic infos about it.

Till now people wont know what A:M is in the first place... it could be a new hoover-technolgy or a manufacture for pupals at the first glance till you click on a menuitem...

And it has one big advantage: Some of these "I want to buy it but I cant find infos.."-threads will go away.

People who doesnt ask if they have a problem may not be suited for A:M... but we dont have to make it more difficult for them than necessary, dont we?

Anyway... its Martin's decission, not ours. I just think it is worth a thought.

*Fuchur*

• Admin

I don't think anyone will disagree with you Fuchur.

The website is designed to require little change.

That allows Hash Inc to concentrate on their program.

Information that changes can be found here in the forum.

Make sense?

I wonder if Martin smiles as he reads our speculation about his thought process? ;)

When I was first considering my purchase of A:M I went to the website. I had never been much of a surfer and other than e-mail I barely used the web. I admit that initially, I had a similar reaction: "Don't they want my business?" But shortly, even with my limited knowledge I manged to find, with no difficulty, the demo video, tutorials page. and more information than I could comprehend.

If someone gets to the main page and is not computer savvy enough to find the information, they will more than likely have difficulty using the program. To use any program you have focus on what is there, not lament what is not. If you can't find your way to the system requirements, you probably have more computer than you are able to use. :P

• Admin
I would think anyone interested in getting into A:M would spend maybe a couple of hours checking out the forums instead of just flaming the place on their first post. That's what's strange.

If someone gets to the main page and is not computer savvy enough to find the information, they will more than likely have difficulty using the program. To use any program you have focus on what is there, not lament what is not. If you can't find your way to the system requirements, you probably have more computer than you are able to use

Precisely. (But for those that aren't quite there yet there is still this forum!)

There are an infinite number of reasons not to purchase a program.

All you need is one good reason to jump in and start animating with A:M. :)

Hi!

Till now I was only asking for something without a real recommendation of how to do it...

So I thought, why not take a screenshot and try it myself? I hadnt got all the fonts, etc. used on the site, but I tried to use something in the same fashion like the once used on the current site.

I think it may be more motivating for potential customers, SO-participators and people who want to create their own movies while not attracting these "featurehungry, demanding and not giving"-customers too much.

It is meant for people who really want to bring their own stories to life.

Hope you like it

*Fuchur*

hash_layout_edited.jpg

Nice follow through Fuchur. The information is concise, helpful and linked. I would also mention somewhere that "For 20 years Animation Master has been used for 3D and we intend to be around for 20+ more years". Or some such information. :)

• Admin

Nice additions Fuchur.

A few suggestions:

- Have someone scrub the wording. Minor changes to spelling/grammar will need to be made.

- Consider running the additional text horizontally instead of vertically. Otherwise there will be unused space on both sides of the screen and everything will be much smaller to fit on the screen.

- Make sure Steve Sappington wants his email address on the front page. Flash may protect him from spambots but... just in case.

Rock on!

Wow, that's a great Entry page, Fuchur!

If you want to try and hook it up (Flash), we'll give you permissions?

I'd love to try it Martin... :)

Would you upload the recent Flash-files (etc.) or send it to me by email? ( info (at) patchwork3d (dot) de )

I could of course rebuilt it, but if you already got the current files, it would be easier... :)

See you

*Fuchur*

PS: The free parts are meant to be there Rodney... it makes a more free-minded layout like that, so that not everything is crowded with something.

I'll do some tests with your idea, but I think a horizontally text-layout has several drawbacks:

First of, it wouldnt give the user all the informations on the first glance... he would have to scroll down to see the text / image (depending which one would be above the other or it would make the image quite small.

I however tend to set the image at the top and make it more or less big, because it is usually worth it and a nice eyecatcher).

Another problem is, that the text would be quite long horizontally. It is not too wise to create very long lines of text, especially if you are reading at a computerdisplay.

It means, that the eye of the user will have trouble to have a good overview about the whole text (or even only one line) and it is quite difficult to find the next line after finishing reading the previous one.

The text isnt that long neighter, so I may look a little lost if there are not enough lines...

On the other hand, it would of course give the abillity to write more without breaking the layout.

But too much text isn't good neighter... people's eyes dont want to read much on a computermonitor. They expect short and concise informations. Many people find it annoying to read too much text on a computermonitor.

Anyhow I will try my best and if it is good enough I will try to create a second version so we can have a look on it and see which one is better suited.

If you got any text-suggestions, please let me know... it's not my mothertongue, so I it is quite likeley that I write a little bit clumsily.

Dunno if the original question about support needs any more discussion but...

Take it from someone (me) who's in the business of making training software: creating a comprehensive training program for any animation package is an extremely large, complex and expensive undertaking. I would like to see a fully developed A:M school as much as anyone, but it would push the price to $1,000 or more. What good is beautifully executed training for a program that is thereby made unaffordable?

A:M has plenty of training available; it's just that you have to sort thru it to find what you want. This is because it comes from many individual contributors who are the best A:M animators in the world. It seems to me that the opportunity to be taught by the best (for free!) is worth a little effort.

It should not be overlooked that A:M is built to require less training than most programs in the first place. Animation programs that are not toys usually require a huge up-front time commitment before you can do anything with them. With A:M you can start using what you learn right away, and expand your skills as you go.

I personally have mastered perhaps 10% of what A:M can do. But that's been good enough for me to make hundreds of 3D images and animations that set my Powerpoint presentations apart and make others in my field green with envy. With most programs, a person with 10% mastery would have nothing.

Here's some suggestions for the english Fuchur. I'll bold the changes:

Twenty years of development and animation-experience have made it powerful yet still easy to use. And with it's low price, A:M is affordable to everyone!

Create your own stunning 3D-Animations and let your stories come alive!

The image on the left _ was created by someone like you!

In the next paragraph, you don't really need the hyphens between full feature length. Also, you should have a space between community projects.

In this sentence, I would just itallic your for emphasis.

"It's all in your hands!"

There also needs to be a space between image contests in the last paragrah. Also, it should just be front page image.

Twenty years of development and animation-experience have made it powerful yet still easy to use. And with it's low price, A:M is affordable to everyone!

If it is not totally wrong, I would like to use numbers not words (so 20 not twenty). It is faster to get the information and it stands out even more from a continuous text.

One little question there: Shouldn't it be "its" and not "it's". "And with it is low price..." doesnt make sense to me... -> "its low price"?

"It's all in your hands!"

I tried to use bold-text, so that the really necessary informations are delivered even so you are only reading the bold text.

That is just meant to help people reading on a display (which is usually something people dont like that much...). So they can read the bold text only and dont loose much of the information, or if you like to, you can read the whole text and get a few extra-infos.

Everything else made totally sense too me and I integrated it.

*Fuchur*

Shouldn't it be "its" and not "it's". "And with it is low price..." doesnt make sense to me... -> "its low price"?

Correct. Though "its" looks strange to me. Maybe the apostrophe should be after the "s"? But go with "its" anyway.

I think twenty instead of 20 looks more sophisticated. But that's just me. :D

I tried to use bold-text, so that the really necessary informations are delivered even so you are only reading the bold text.

Sure. Go for it.