Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Killer Ketchup

After several weeks of work, I (with some helpful input from Dushan, my roomie) have finally completed and entered my commercial entry for the Heinz "Top This" challenge.

It is done, and I am very satisfied. The music/sound-effects are a combo of stuff supplied by Heinz for the contest, as well as public domain bits, and my own home-grown effects.

*whew*

You all can view the entry on youtube at...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pj2OMLr0xQ

It took remarkably less time than I had intended, as I had blocked out ~2 months for pre-production etc.

Wish me luck! I have seen the other entries and I think this really has a shot at the grand prize.

(Hopefully you all will vote for me when it inevitably reaches the finals.:))

(Now we can get back to the Mountain project. Although, a break was welcome and refreshing!)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nancy, Luuk, Martin - Thank you all for the positive response, it is good to know that the giddy tingly "wow I think this is good" feeling isn't just all in my head.

(I believe the final voting will be done on the Heinz website in late august, after their judges narrow it down to 15 entries.)

I'll keep everyone updated.

How did you get that blade to rotate so many times? Expressions? Hand animating? Decal?

It is an action, just set to repeat. I think the whole blade rotates once in 4 frames, I don't quite recall but I might have set up sub-frames as well.

I also put the axis slightly off center to give it a rougher spin, make it look more jagged.

Your timing was very good throughout.

Thanks, I have been really, REALLY focusing on pose timing in my work as of late.

Thank you everyone, the feedback is stunningly encouraging!

• 2 months later...

Bad news.

"Killer Ketchup" did not make it to the final 15.

(I'm making my consolation prize a yummy dry martini.)

After viewing their choices, I can see why they chose the other videos over mine. Apparently a homicidal bottle of their product just doesn't fit into their brand identity.

Go figure!

It seems they preferred more folksy/cutesy/warm-fuzzy stuff. Check out the other videos if your get a chance; I voted for "Memories." The old woman who re-lives her happiest memories with one Heinz-full bite (although who the hell makes fries for dinner?) made me happy in a non-specific sort of way.

Good news; they are running the contest again in like a half-year or so. Wish me luck the next round.

On to better things for me - I (re)start college (finally) this fall anyhow.

Your work stands on its own and I think it was great. You do good work Jesse. Keep digging, you'll hit water soon enough :)

Dhar, you have always been so encouraging - I think I need to get a better grasp of my audience, though.

Thank you so much, I won't give up!

• 3 months later...