Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Music Video Character

Hi all

I had posted these in the tutorial section and thought it might be wise to post them here for more feedback. This is a character I have created for a music video I am producing for an Indie recording artist out of Buffalo, NY. It is going to be a combination of 3D and 2D. Please let me know what you all think. Cheers!

MamboLion_01.png

MamboLion_02.png

They were created with the great help of Barry (Bizzle) and his amazing A:M Training DVD Bundle. I just finished rigging him and I will be modifying the model into a lioness soon. Storyboard is nearly complete and will be going to the client this week. Enjoy!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feedback...sure! Great stylized model! What rig are you going to use? Is the raised area around his neck for fur? Was this model generated from sketched designs?

I sure like it so far...can't wait to see the lioness. My only crit...after another look...would be that his 'snout'(nose) looks kinda long and 'doggish'.

• Admin

I had seen you character in the other thread but didn't comment.

I'm glad to see you've moved him into his own WIP.

This is the type of character my eyes really like. (I really like the design/style)

He's an impressive character as is without posing, texturing or animation.

As such I'm confident he'll be even more impressive as your work progresses.

Looking forward to your updates. :)

Feedback...sure! Great stylized model! What rig are you going to use? Is the raised area around his neck for fur? Was this model generated from sketched designs?

I sure like it so far...can't wait to see the lioness. My only crit...after another look...would be that his 'snout'(nose) looks kinda long and 'doggish'.

Thanks for all the feedback. Ya, it does look a bit "doggish" now that you point it out. A shorter snout would probably make it look immediately more "lionish". I may try that actually but I had a cool, Scar-like look in mind (Scar from Lion King - his snout is quite elongated). I rigged it myself from scratch following Barry's rigging DVD. The look and feel of the video doesn't fit with the use of hair so it will be flat shaded to match this style guide:

ciff2.jpg

I will likely play around with hair on this character once this video is out the door and I have some spare time... ha, ha, right.

Here is the original design:

lion_concept_02.jpg

Here are the rotoscopes:

lion_front.jpg

lion_side.jpg

Great looking character!

I think the enormous size of the torso may be a problem in animation, but we won't know until you try.

Thanks robcat, I love a challenge. Doing a walk cycle right now and will upload a link when it is done. We'll see.

i like the style!

it'll be a challenge to make his eyes readable, due to his vertically squashed head, but expressive animation will compensate.

keep us posted!

-jon

Thanks jon

I have rigged the face with some eye expressions that seem to work... we'll see how it all pans out. Cheers!

Thanks to everyone else for their positive responses. Stay tuned.

Like the character and the beginnings if the walk cycle... would like to see the walk cycle loop for continuities sake.

Thanks oakchas, I have updated the link above with a looping version but the playback is in slow motion for some reason. Checked the frame rate too but lets you see the loop... a bit sticky in places so I will have to try smooth those out more.

Nice, Brent! It looks like you might need to add a fan bone or adjust the CP Weighting some on the inside of the elbow...other than that, it looks great so far.

Thanks! There are fan bones there but I will have to tweak the weighting, thanks for pointing that out. Cheers!