Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

ROV

agep

My current WIP is an ROV (remotely operated vehicle), that is a remotely operated mini submarine. Also this WIP is where I'm for the first time whole-hearted trying to bevel the corners of my model. In this stage of the project I've only made the steelframe and the top of the submarine (much more to come). Criticism and comments are highly appreciated

Stian

rovclay0.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My current WIP is an ROV

Awsome! Can't really say much about the model, too much geometry and stuff for me : P You're using pointy splines on the top of the model, arn't you? They always seem to get too pointy when I use them, but you seem to've used them just perfectly

Yeah, Stian - been waiting for your next project dude! Looks good so far, get cracking on some updates! ;) Fans look great.

One question - how do you get the gray on gray look? I really like that for modeling for starters it keeps you focused -- can you post settings for that?

Thanks

Tom

how do you get the gray on gray look? I really like that for modeling for starters it keeps you focused -- can you post settings for that?

Here is the the claylooking choreography as a project file. Using Yves skylightrig. Just import your model into the project and put it into the chor

clay.prj

Thanks Stian...and Yves!

Newbert: Bevels are where the corners are rounded off. So, in AM, you would need to have a spline on either side of the corner spline. Bevels are similar to chamfers which are flat at the 45 degree angle on the corner.

Stian: How can I make that project brighter? Also, do you have a problem with using porcelain on a model in that scene? Thanks.

to make the chor brighter you just adjust the intensity of the light solstråler (sunbeams), or you scale the the shortcut sol (sun) in the chor (not sure whats the best/correct way to do it). About porcelain I don't know, since I've never used porcelain (just tested it once on the mclaren)

how do you get the gray on gray look? I really like that for modeling for starters it keeps you focused -- can you post settings for that?

Here is the the claylooking choreography as a project file. Using Yves skylightrig. Just import your model into the project and put it into the chor

Thanks! Model is looking good, looking forward to more updates.

Thanks Ken :D

I hope you're going to rig this

Ehhh, about that. that brings me to the next point: How to rig this thing???? :( Need help on that, or some clues how to do it (see attached image that)

The ROV is based on a real one (my brother is an ROV pilot, so I'm making this for him and the company he works at)

The rigging question is moved: http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13860

armrig.jpg

Thanks for the comments :lol:

Are you using boolean cutters or are the holes modeled??
Everything is modeled. but the splinage is pretty simple and very UGLY. The method (on the arm that is) is that i outline the shape of the part, some beveling, then places the circle that is going to be the hole, then i patch it up as best i can, and copy/flip/attache :P

Here is a shaded/wire of some of the parts used on the arm:

armparts.jpg

Do you really need to keep the central spline on those peices? I'm pretty sure you can get away without it, and it will save on patch count.

Hmmm. You are right.... I'll remove them. They was created when i was about to copy/flip/attache the pieces. Needed them there then, since the holes are beveled. Thanks

Is this what you're looking for as far as the movement? If so I will tell you how I did it--actually I'll probably do it anyway.

Didn't I do this once before--I'm feeling a distinct DeJaVue--oh no just a glitch in the matrix. B)

J

edit: and please pardon the crudity of the model--it's not to scale...a little Back to the Future for ya'.

pistonArm.mov

You did it! with a little help of aaver...

aaver is really good on rigging... but he is good on so many things...

and you are so good on modeling... and now on rigging....

Why not make a WINK tutorial with some screen captures of your nice model

to upload to the Software Tutorial Forum

so your work will be DOCUMENTED

and the members can get some help doing some rigging after the summer 2005.

Now this superb rigging will be hard to find after some weeks.

DOCUMENTING the good things with a little WINKing

that is what I believe is the really good thing with the new forum.

So please... you will do it an hour or an hour and a half!

:D

Hope aaver can do a WINK on Materials... some nice steel... some good rust?

But I hope you will do it on the ROV!

Why not make a WINK tutorial with some screen captures of your nice model

Maybe I should do that, eventhough I'm terrible in explaining things :P

Anyway, I have added a new rig on the ROV. It is a rack where there will be placed cameras and lamps. The rig is based on what I've learned by doing the arm, so there is probably 10 other ways to rig it in a better way :lol: The rack is a bit hard to discover since it's a bit dark render.

C&C are welcome

armogstativtest_Custom.mov

Here are some few more updates. Once again I have been trying to add materials to one of my models, and once again I discover that I really sucks at it :P Any tips to improve it?

Regards Stian

rov01.jpg

They look fine to me. Is this finished now?

Thanks. Hopefully I`m finished, maybe there are some minor details left..

Have been doing a few new tests.

The watersurface is the watermaterial made by Sutton

The underwater acoustic is based on a test johnl3d did, and the ground a parts from the underwater scene on the A:M disc.

rov.JPG

Looks great! Wow you really tied this up quickly. I love the underwater shot. I don't personally see anything wrong with your materials. I will say the water on the top shot, you can see the hexagons pretty clearly as a pattern, but that isn't your material. Great job.

I'm anxious too see what you are going to tackle next!

Thanks for the comments so far guys.

Ken: thanks for the tip, I`ll try to dirt it up a bit (if I find out how :P )

Jaqe: I`m making this for my brother (he is an ROV pilot)

A quick way to dirty it up would be to make a "dirt targa" where the dirt and grime is the only thing visible through the alpha.

Then in AM, just apply that as a decal multiple times round the ROV. You can even resize/turn back to front/layer each stamp to make the dirt look different. It's not the ideal method, but it's quick and painless. Plus with only one image used, you cut down on memory use.

Thanks Ken, but could you explain how I e.g would prepare this image? :

And one more thing, I made this animationtest based on the underwaterscene and I get this funny render artifacts. I have tried several sizes, with or without multipass and so on, but I still get them. There is a change in light in the middle of the animation, thats because I had to change between version 12 and 11.1 (the v12 did just shut down on that frame... funny).. any idea?

http://agep.biz/rov/rovundervann.mov

dirt.jpg