Hash, Inc. Forums

ROV

agep

I'm attaching a tga with a premade "dirt alpha". It's basically a black canvas and then in the alpha I drew white areas to make the black show through.

In the animation, are those decals jpgs? If so, they may need the key colour (makes black invisible) reset. You can do this in the properties of the image. Though, it looks like the blue is the camera background colour....

dirt.zip

Thanks for your help Ken, I appreciate it very much :)

*The decals are targas, but they do not contain any black, just blue and yellow (I know about the keycolor option in v11.1, but I cant seem to find it in v12?)

*The camera background color is black...

I'll try to remove the material on the top to see if it gets any better, and I'll let you know

*EDIT* I've discovered that the reflectivity (was set to 10%) in the material creates the artifact

The volumetric lights have banding when they're partially blocked because the number of samples have been reduced. Increase the value of the volumetric "quality" setting.

(Make sure that you add that reflectivity error to A:M Reports.)

Thanks for the comments

Updated the animation:

*The quality on the volumetric is updated (not enough though)

*The reflectivity that caused the artifact is removed (and reported)

*Rendered the animation in VGA res.

About the render:

-rendertime pr frame (vga). 2:30

-frames: 150

-total rendertime: 6hr30min

Animation

.wmv 2.7MB

.mov 4.6MB

It seems to jump a tiny bit forward about half way through. Also, some weed movement would really sell this. Good work.

The little jump i caused by a missing frame (there is actually two missing frames on separate places), thats because A:M chrashed on those frames (don't know why), and I had to render without them. About the movement; it is pretty bad, I know. I just made a path and applied the ROV to it. I was very anxious to just make the test :D

I will do a little research to find out how the ROV actually behave, and I will also make some action for the thrusters (they stand still i the animation)

And there is one major thing more to do, and that is the cable. There is supposed to be a cable attached on the top of the ROV (the hole behind the top thrusters), The cable will go up to the surface and are attached to a boat or something. But I have no clue what so ever how to rig that

Here is a tiny update. Have tried to add dirtmaps on it as a test.

I also Would like some help or suggestion on how to make (rig) the cable. The ROV get its signal through a cabel. The cable is attached on a boat or something on the surface.

25 multipass

800*600 res

5hr (!!!)

overvann.jpg

I think I have managed the cable problem (thanks to Chris Thom's chain). Her is an little test.

the last bone on the cable has dynamic constraint (target set to the little box). the box is an individual model. There are some collision issues that I need to get rid of, and some setting adjustment to simulate the behavior in water a bit better

cable_Custom.mov

FORCES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The vehicle could have forces translated to it... and I'd use forces that slightly sway or rock with the rythm of ocean waves... that would make the hose react as if under water.