Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Audi TT

I have been working on this model for weeks or even months. I have add all the detail I can, I have even modeled the interior (even though you dont see it much). but I just cant make the car look real.

Can someone please help me and give me some sort of feedback.

post-7-1113110670.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

gre,

Wow! Thats sharp.

It's hard to comment a lot past that without seeing a few more angles.

Please please post more views!

It looks a lot like you took a picture of the car and pasted it in from this view.

Nice!

Andrew,

I have a few suggestions for improving the realism of your model;

The external surfaces are much too wavy to be realistic. This is revealed in the uneven reflections of the car's surroundings. It's most severe along the belt line on the passenger door and rear quarter panel and along the roof just above the passenger window but there are examples of waviness all over your model. No assembly plant would ever release a vehicle with this level of sheet metal quality. Unfortunately A:M puts ease of character animation well ahead of easy modeling of smoothly curving surfaces. So your only choice is to go into the model and tweak the bias values along these surfaces to minimize the waves.

It appears to me that you are using a bump or displacement decal to build the door pocket and handle. I think such a shortcut can't work on a vehicle that's going to get this close to the camera. Model the door handle and pocket. And put a door liner on the interior so you can't see the door handle from the inside.

It looks like you are also using a displacement decal to build the gaps at the edge of the door and a colour decal for the gap around the hood. Once again if you want to cheat like this don't let the car fill the full frame of the camera.

Same advice for using a decal for the gas filler cap. And the trailing edge of the gas cap shows an unrealistic bend in the panel.

I'm not really sure what's happening with your A pillars (the columns between the trailing edge of the hood and the leading edge of the roof). The passenger pillar seems to be on the outside of the windshield glass but the driver's pillar seems to be in the interior. Time to take another look at your reference images.

If your goal is to build a model that will fill the frame of the camera and come under close scrutiny, you've got to be willing to sweat the details.

BTW; Turn on anti-aliasing before your next render to smooth the jagged edges in the image.

• Hash Fellow

I think it's a really promising model!

I agree with R_Reynold's comments. Wavy sheet metal seems to afflict almost all the A:M car models I've seen (including my own). Auto photographers go to great lengths to show off the smoothness of cars by reflecting large white overhead cards in the paint. The great CG cars renders I've seen mimic this. But the surface has got to be smooth for the reflection to be smooth.

I think bias tweeking is the most often overlooked part of A:M modeling

There also are some small level details missing that would be needed for extra realism, like a rubber seal around the wind shield, or some kind of transition element.

But mostly I just think it's the grunt work of adjusting the CP biases that's needed to make the car more real.

My advice to you is to read and re-read everything Roger tells you - seriously. He helped me a lot on my Mach 5 - and that was not supposed to be realistic. Doing a realistic car in AM is tough. You aren't going to be able to get a car like these guys punch out in Maya and 3dsmax, we kind of lack tools for that - but you can get really close. Take a look at the McLaren threads (Search McLaren) - his car came out about as good as I've seen one in A:M - that one and Colin's Mini Cooper of course - I'd say those are the two best I've seen.

Like Roger said, get away from the displacement maps and model EVERYTHING. yeah, it's tough and time consuming - but you kind of have to do it! Look at everything he modeled on the McLaren - look at the open door shots.

Something about the license plate really bugs me - it looks wrong. Might be colors, might be that its just a decal in the front? Not sure. How about just taking it off?

Having said that - you've already done some great work, so be proud of that too :)

Tom

Take a look at the McLaren threads (Search McLaren) - his car came out about as good as I've seen one in A:M - that one and Colin's Mini Cooper of course - I'd say those are the two best I've seen

Thanks pixelmech :D

How about show us a wireframe render of your car gre03? By the way, your audi looks great :D

I don't think you can go wrong with listening to the seggestions of R_Reynolds. I am really not an expert at modeling mechanical. For close up views you will definately need to take the advice of the experts. For longer views I think it looks vine. Especially if it's painted black.