sprockets Live Answer Time Demo Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Night on Bald Mountain

night_on_bald_mountain_large.jpg

This isn't complete (the animation is still fairly rough) but I've had to put it down due to other animation commitments. I thought, rather than having it sit on my computer at home people could have a look.

When I get a chance I'll get back to it, but in the meantime I'd be interested in peoples thoughts.

http://www.shaunfreeman.com/samples/night_...ld_mountain.mov

Its about 9.6 Mb

Many thanks for William Suttons generosity in letting me use his model!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OOOOOO! I hate that I'm at work, I can't watch it. I assume you used Mussorgsky?

I wanted to do something like this, but with part of a piece by Prokofiev called "The Alien God and the Danceof the Evil Spirits fromt eh Scythian Suite, op. 20" It's a really wicked piece!

I will watch this as soon as I am home from work!!!!

Hey Shaun;

I saw the image that you posted and was rather unimpressed. "hmm pretty scanty for a terrain flythrough". The mountain really didn't do much for me. I did have the feeling as the music has progressing that something was going to happen. You caught me completely off guard when the balrog unwrapped itself. I did not expect that to happen. I am impressed. I thought that the movement was excellent and the theme was well choreographed. The balrog is very sharp (Kudos to the creator) but the usage is excellent. I enjoyed it very much!

Bill

I really liked this scene. Tolkien meets Disney. The Balrog is the perfect modern version of the creature from Fantasia. Are you going to tackle an animation to the entire piece? Wow.... if you did that would be a huge undertaking. :)

I look forward to seeing more.

I wonder if anyone actually knows the story Mussorgsky had in mind with "A Night on Bare Mountain"? I am not a big believer in programmatic music, but it would be interesting to know. ;)

I did have the feeling as the music has progressing that something was going to happen.

Oh, c'mon. He said it wasn't finished. This is a work in progress.

If it were finished I would agree with you on the slow climb up the mountain but that leaves room for all kinds of magic stuff, titles or whatever Shaun has in mind.

I'm not keen on the framing of the Balrog in the close-up though.

Like I said, I look forward to seeing an update. :)

Oh, c'mon. He said it wasn't finished. This is a work in progress

I know that its an unfinished WIP. I was actually trying to make a compliment. Suspence is important. I was trying to get across that the music was key for me. I *knew* that something was coming up. Without the music I think that it would have suffered.

Impressive. It is a very good start.

One thing that I would nitpick is the star movements. As is, I'm not sure the camera if trolleying-in or zooming-in. It seems like a mix of both. Normally, with distant stars, the sky would not look like it zooms if it is only a camera trolley-in. Or if a zoom-in, then the stars would keep their relative distance from the foreground subject.

I think a darker sky would help too.

I applaud. AWESOME!

However, I also took note of the stars. They are what I call '1 pixel stars'...meaning that- each star has the exact same magnitude in terms of distance and brightness as the next. When I look-up to a starry sky, the first thing I see is the multitude of depth before me.

My recommendation: Since the camera does not swing around too much laterally, build yourself a 'multiplane' star effect using photoshop to create alphas for 1 or 2 foreground levels and a beautifull painting with a milky-way ribbon for the background, it's not that hard using copy and paste methods and the levels do not need to be too offset to sell the illusion of depth. Make sure the ambiance levels are set high and they should appear perfectly.

As far as the mountain and the 'Balrog' I cannot bring myself to comment, there is simply nothing to pick at. I applaud. Happy Hallowe'en.