sprockets Hans Donuts Featured USS Midnight spotlight Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Hi everybody :),

I just updated my website to a new webdesign for 2015.

The website is now fully responsible and adaptive and can be viewed on smartphones, tablets and of course desktop computers (with higher or lower display resolutions) in a hopefully better way and the design changed quite a bit. Let me know what you think about it:

http://www.patchwork3d.de

Let me know what you think and have fun exploring :).

(the website is available in German and English with the same content)

See you and have fun :)
*Fuchur*

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi everyone :),

thanks for all the kind words. I am very glad you like it :).

@Mack: Actually I am even using my own CMS (it is programmed from scratch without using any external libraries (no jquery, external template engine or stuff like that in here... everything coded from scratch with plain PHP, HTML, CSS and Javascript)... it is called wisy CMS (Web Information SYstem), is used at the Hash website as well and we are using it at the advertising agency where I work for the websites of our customers).

The old pw3d-website was already based on the wisy cms, like that I only needed to create a new template for it.

And yes, the new template was created in the last 2 days from scratch using Photoshop to create the optical design first and Aptana Studio (an IDE for Webdevelopement based on Eclipse) to create the template.

See you

*Fuchur*

Website design looks quite nice.

However I have some issues with your text tutorials (the only ones I looked at), and in particular those having to do with Ambiance Occlusion, reflectivity and transparency

this one is probably old, and you probably want to update that there is SSAO now:

Ambient Occlusion

To make it easy, many people use Ambient Occlusion. That looks very nice but increases the rendertimes till there is a screenbased ambient occlusion method in A:M.

My advise: Use Global Amiance and a spot-light with z-buffer shadows. That looks quite good too and will render many times faster.

The other things that contradict what I have found with my timing tests is that reflectivity is NOT that expensive time wise (unless you have a sky dome and are making the sky dome itself reflective, which would be silly) BUT transparency IS more expensive than reflectivity.

I just ran some tests in 18l/64 (with opengl) to confirm for myself - and can publish my timing tests if you are interested.

I had 4 models (all 50% reflective) plus a sky dome plus ground plane - ran tests with all reflective, and in various combos, with 5pass (no soften), and NO multipass, levels of reflectivity = 10, versus 2, soft reflections OFF then ON with quality = 100%. Biggest influence I found was when the sky dome was reflective (which is not the usual case). Then I made all models 50% transparent, 0%reflective (except for sky dome 50% reflective, ground 100) and obtained the biggest render times - over twice that of when all models were reflective tests.

EDIT: And yes using the combo of transparency AND reflectivity on any model is the most costly timewise (but beautiful)

It used to be soft reflections would be more expensive than NOT soft reflections - but currently I am not seeing any difference in the imagery, nor in the timing in any significant way, so I am not sure that soft reflections are even working in 18l

Edited by NancyGormezano

Hi Nancy,

thanks for retesting that... could you test something else too?

Do only use transparency without reflectivity or (especially) index of reflection.

Transparency should not be very expensive then...

About the AO comment: You are totally right about that... I have rewritten that :). I had written that when there was no SSAO available, neighter by jenpy nor by A:M itself.

But today that is just plain wrong :).

See you

*Fuchur*

Do only use transparency without reflectivity or (especially) index of reflection.

I did test NO reflectivity and only transparency - yes, it was not that costly, but it was still more costly than everything (except dome) having reflectivity. So transparency is more costly.

All were ver 18L, Opengl, 5 pass (soften OFF, 640 x480, 2 levels reflection soft reflections OFF, 100% quality, dome 0% reflective) Nothing had index of refraction changed from default (in any of my tests) -

4 models - 50% transparency, 0% reflective, Ground - 0% reflect - TIME was 24 secs,

4 models - 0% transparent, 50% reflective, ground 100% reflective TIME was 20 secs

(EDIT: when 10 levels of reflection used, time was 24 secs, not a big cost, not much diff in image)

when BOTH transparency & reflectivity were used on models:

4 models 50% transparent, 50% reflective, ground 100% reflective, 10' reflectivity fall-off, TIME was 13:49 mins!!! (see image)

(EDIT: I am still not sure that soft reflections are working. - update: they are working - found out that models must have spec size set >0 % for soft reflections to show up. The larger the spec size, the more pronounced the soft reflection effect. Oddly enough, no lights need have spec ON..go figure.)

5passNOsoften2levelSoftOFF100Qual0Dome100-10feetGROUND50reflect50transparenteverythingelseVGA0.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano

I did test NO reflectivity and only transparency - yes, it was not that costly, but it was still more costly than everything (except dome) having reflectivity. So transparency is more costly.

All were ver 18L, Opengl, 5 pass (soften OFF, 640 x480, 2 levels reflection soft reflections OFF, 100% quality, dome 0% reflective) Nothing had index of refraction changed from default (in any of my tests) -

4 models - 50% transparency, 0% reflective, Ground - 0% reflect - TIME was 24 secs,

4 models - 0% transparent, 50% reflective, ground 100% reflective TIME was 20 secs

(EDIT: when 10 levels of reflection used, time was 24 secs, not a big cost, not much diff in image)

when BOTH transparency & reflectivity were used on models:

4 models 50% transparent, 50% reflective, ground 100% reflective, 10' reflectivity fall-off, TIME was 13:49 mins!!! (see image)

(EDIT: I am still not sure that soft reflections are working. - update: they are working - found out that models must have spec size set >0 % for soft reflections to show up. The larger the spec size, the more pronounced the soft reflection effect. Oddly enough, no lights need have spec ON..go figure.)

Hi Nancy,

thanks again for testing this again... I have rewritten the statements and based them on transparency + reflection instead of only transparency or reflection.

See you

*Fuchur*

• Hash Fellow

Good looking website Gerald!

May i suggest the following edit for grammar and style: instead of ...

"It is a cheap but very powerful 3d programms out there not only famous for its very intuitiv and powerful character animation tools."

how about...

"It is an inexpensive but very powerful 3D program, famous for its intuitive tools and robust character animation pipeline."