Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Save the European Multimedia Industry

Elm

Hi Freaks!

First: If this thread is inappropriate for this forum, please admins, just take it off.

I got this email from the European Association of Animation Film; in short terms, the content goes like this:

The European Commission under President Barroso's presidency is considering ending the MEDIA Programme! This decision could have disastrous consequences on the European audiovisual sector, which benefits from numerous funds and actions led by this programme. Many associations have already taken action.

On behalf of the European animation industry, CARTOON and the Annecy festival / MIFA have launched a petition to stop the proposed abolition or reduction:

http://www.cartoon-media.eu/

We need signatures from all audiovisual professionals, including producers, directors and studios.

Please sign the petition as soon as possible: we must act fast since the Commission will make its decision mid-March.

We would be grateful if you could forward this petition to all members of your company as well as to your contacts involved in the audiovisual industry.

We need your support! Thank you for your help.

>>>

So, maybe some of you would also sign this petition.

Greetz,

Elm.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of.

They do some kind of "sponsering" for productions in the field of animated movies and tv series.

Over here in Europe, you'll hardly find ANY movie (or series) production, that has NOT been sponsored by some public aid-money (right word? - dunno..) especially animated Movies.

So, if these 'public sponsors' drop out, there'll be less animated movie productions.

To cut it short.

I'm no expert in all that, but I know it IS important.

Kind of.

They do some kind of "sponsering" for productions in the field of animated movies and tv series.

Over here in Europe, you'll hardly find ANY movie (or series) production, that has NOT been sponsored by some public aid-money (right word? - dunno..) especially animated Movies.

So, if these 'public sponsors' drop out, there'll be less animated movie productions.

To cut it short.

I'm no expert in all that, but I know it IS important.

Does the money come from private donations? and/or individual governments in the EU? It is not clear where the money comes from to support this effort. Are they stopping the aid program because the donations/funding has dwindled or the EU (different countries?) does not want to contribute?

I can't find the info on the web site, and I don't understand how the EU works.

I am not totally sure about that neighter, but in Europe (or at least in Germany) we have different government based funds which will support different art forms / educational programms, day care centers, science projects, etc. This doesn't mean, that they have a higher influence on the content so, they just think that it is culturally interesting to have this art form and with supporting money they can give artists the possibility to do what they like. The money is not given by the governments themselves but by a commitee which can contain of private persons or well known artists who will judge what is worth giving money to it or not.

I could imagine, that this is something like that but the money is raised by different countries in the EU. OR it is a kind of private foundation... I don't know exactly.

But since there is a petition, I can imagine it is government based. A private investor would not be effected by people who want it to stay alive if they don't spend money for it.

See you

*Fuchur*

Does the money come from private donations? and/or individual governments in the EU? It is not clear where the money comes from to support this effort. Are they stopping the aid program because the donations/funding has dwindled or the EU (different countries?) does not want to contribute?

I can't find the info on the web site, and I don't understand how the EU works.

"CARTOON is an international non-profit association based in Brussels. CARTOON’s remit is to support the European animation industry and for more than 20 years, it has received financial support from the MEDIA Programme of the European Union to run its activities.

MEDIA, is the support programme for the European audiovisual industry, it continues to support the development and distribution of thousands of films as well as training activities.

From 2001-2006, more than half a billion euros were injected into 8.000 projects from over 30 countries."

(From http://www.cartoon-media.eu/about.php and http://ec.europa.eu/culture/media/index_en.htm)

The European Union (EU) is an economic and political union of 27 member states which are located primarily in Europe.The EU traces its origins from the European Coal and Steel Community (ECSC) and the European Economic Community (EEC) formed by six countries in the 1950s. In the intervening years the EU has grown in size by the accession of new member states, and in power by the addition of policy areas to its remit. The Maastricht Treaty established the European Union under its current name in 1993.[8] The last amendment to the constitutional basis of the EU, the Treaty of Lisbon, came into force in 2009.

The EU operates through a hybrid system of supranational independent institutions and intergovernmentally made decisions negotiated by the member states.Important institutions of the EU include the European Commission, the Council of the European Union, the European Council, the Court of Justice of the European Union, and the European Central Bank. The European Parliament is elected every five years by EU citizens.

The EU has developed a single market through a standardised system of laws which apply in all member states including the abolition of passport controls within the Schengen area. It ensures the free movement of people, goods, services, and capital, enacts legislation in justice and home affairs, and maintains common policies on trade,[14] agriculture,[15] fisheries and regional development. A monetary union, the eurozone, was established in 1999 and is currently composed of seventeen member states. Through the Common Foreign and Security Policy the EU has developed a limited role in external relations and defence. Permanent diplomatic missions have been established around the world and the EU is represented at the United Nations, the WTO, the G8 and the G-20.

With a combined population of 500 million inhabitants,[17] in 2010 the EU generated an estimated 28% (US$16.106 trillion)[18] of the global economy, or 21% (US$14.793 trillion) when adjusted in terms of purchasing power parity.[19]

(from Wikipedia)

In short: EU supported projects (as the Media/Cartoon programme) are financed by supranational government money. No private funding. This is the whole idea: to make the (in this case the cultural) decisions be decided from democratic considerations and not private, profitbased ones. Thus: How the money are used, and to what, is a political question.

Thanks for the info/explanation. Amazing & interesting to think that all those separate countries would be able to agree on anything. The EU does sound economically beneficial for the participating countries, but I am guessing some countries benefit more than others. I feel ignorant for not having paid more attention to this issue.

I hope the EU doesn't stop funding animation/art projects. Here, of course, given the economic times (and dumbness of the times), the arts are the first to go in public education as well as availablity of gov't funding, grants.

I started writing a rant about the crazy, divisive times we are having now in the US...but didn't know where to stop...I could go on & on.

• Hash Fellow
Thanks for the info/explanation. Amazing & interesting to think that all those separate countries would be able to agree on anything. The EU does sound economically beneficial for the participating countries, but I am guessing some countries benefit more than others. I feel ignorant for not having paid more attention to this issue.

The EU and the "European Common Market" before it have been a favorite bête noire of Biblical panic-mongers since the 50's. It's the new Roman Empire and when it reaches ten members it will be The Beast with 10 Horns ruled by the Antichrist with black helicopters and all that... never mind that it's now past 25 members, just send all your money to the televangelist nearest you! :o