sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Day job project

Gerry

Here's something I 'm doing for my day job, a machine that creates rubber injection-molded components for high voltage uses.

I'm going to need to do versions where some components are hidden or turned off. Is it better to do that with an action or an on/off pose?

103203_Ric008IV_Step1Rotate_v2h264.mov

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd suppose an action... assemble everything together in various actions... one action would be 'ALL PARTS' another would be 'PARTS A, B, C..." If you did it in a pose, you would turn the transparency for a group to zero... which works well but has drawbacks- one being if you render with ambient occlusion the transparent items cause full occlusion.

It's my day job. We do litigation graphics and this one is a patent infringement suit over trade secrets on this injection process.

Litigation graphics is a big field and almost no one has ever heard it. I've done this sort of work for three different companies over the last ten years.

John, thanks for the clarification. I tried to do it in an on/off pose but immediately ran into trouble because I was hiding groups instead of changing transparency.

EDIT: Paul, I just saw yours. But I can't change the "active" setting for groups, can I? It would only work at the model level, right?

Looks great, Gerry!

One thing I do to achieve that is to hide groups in the model window. (They'll disappear in the choreography window.) It's only a temporary thing, but it works for me (I frequently need to hide parts of things to accommodate the camera.)

• 4 weeks later...

this is one of four final animations I did for this project. It goes a little fast because we did two versions, one that just plays through, and this one which is made to "step through" frame by frame with the arrow keys in a Flash presentation. But it's all modeled in A:M, with labeling in AfterEffects.

Hey Mark, your little trick came in very handy in hiding and showing elements to render the various stages.

103203_Ric008IV_Step4_h264.mov

Thanks for the comments!

In three of the four animations, I had to show melted rubber material flowing down the thin "runners" and filling the mold. For the runners I used an animated material, then for the mold fill I used a Boolean cutter. for the cutaways I also used Booleans.