sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Dolly experiment, landscape layers

This is just a quick experiment doing a dolly shot. The background is a layer object ,as are the trees and the grass. There is a Sun light oriented to match the sun in the background (with lens flare).

The rock in the foreground is the only geometry (it was a test on using props in the landscape, but it isn't lighting correctly so just ignore ;)

MATTE_TEST.mov

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks really nice. Is that a shaded/wireframe render? If it is, the rock's mesh looks very dense.

Do you have some special plans for the rock? Why did you make it so dense?

How did you get such nice alpha channels for the trees? Or did you render hair-tree models in AM with an alpha channel?

Robcat--yes I rendered that originally, the grass texture (and distant town) was overlayed in Photoshop set to soft light....the idea was to create some matte paintings to save rendering time later

the rock was geometry from another program ( just a test--which failed)...

that was from so long ago, I don't think I still have.... I was just playing with the idea at work, and still had that .jpg. When I did this background, I looked for photos of landscapes that matched perspective in areas, then overlayed them in Photoshop and painted a layer mask to blend together.

I was reading a book on matte painting at the time [it is #9 in your Amazon wish list]. (in it they were painting on a render, then projecting the painting back onto the model as a texture). It looked very effective: the example in the book was the Jedi temple from one of the Star Wars movies.

This is the type of thing I want to do with one of my short ideas. Use VUE to generate the landscape elements and then render out in layers or projection maps where the characters have to interact with parts of the landscape. (I have that book - Ballistic Publishing isn't it?)

Cheers

• 1 month later...