Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Patapon

Hey everyone,

I went out and got a new PSP game called Patapon. It's another fun, stylized game from Japan Studio. Playing it and looking at the 2D stylization got me thinking. "I wonder if I could make a 2D animation in A:M. Of course it's simple in Toon Render but I mean actually 2D. So I made a model of a Patapon off the top of my head. Everything is going smoothly so far but if anyone has any suggestion or ideas feel free. I attached some pictures of the project. ( I'm also working on TAO of A:M on the side lines; only four more lessons left. :)

Thanks for your time,

Masna

post-11238-1205281452_thumb.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think if you only move your camera in right angle position to the character and toon-render it with the right settings (no lights, shadows etc...) you will propably get what you want....

Hey thefreshestever,

Thanks for the suggestion. I made a test in a choreography. I made the characters flat, I turned off shadows, but I didn't use toon render ( It didn't look like the right stylization). I did like the results however. I attached a picture of the choreography.

Thanks for the help,

Masna

post-11238-1205285826_thumb.jpg

Hey guys,

Thanks for the encouragement. I am having some rendering problems though. The rendered version in the choreography differs from that in the movie file. I've checked that the rendering in the choreography and the movie are the same. I posted the pictures of the two different renderings. If anyone has any advice, that would be great.

post-11238-1205357591_thumb.jpg

post-11238-1205357597_thumb.jpg

If you do not have lights in the scene, you need to set the global ambiance type (global color, and set a ambiance intensity) in the choreography's properties.

But it does apppear to be the alpha channel is on in the render options.

very nice ...if your not talented enough to model..thats me... you can get some flat models easily if you have photoshop you make a path around the shape/character you want then export it as an illustrator file and paste the original on as a decal I think there is a tut by Gene explaining how

here is the imported illustrator file model without the decal

pnemo1.gif

pnemo.mov

pnemo1.mov

anotherkenny.gif

kenny.mov

Nice work Masna.

I wonder......

Would it be "better" if the whites of the eyes were transparent/cut out and showed the background. It might make it more cut out like.

I think some black cutout clouds floating by would add to the animation.

Edit: I did a mock up of what I mean. It's a subjective thing of course.

Rendered_in_Choreography.JPG

Hey Ken,

Thanks for the suggestion, I like both the cloud idea and the cut-out eyes idea. I don't quit know how to cut out the eyes because it's all one spline ring. Maybe I could use hooks somehow. I'll definately try both these ideas.

I added some clouds in the background, your Ken, it does add a certain effect. I did't rerender the animation with the clouds just yet but I took a picture of it for you to see. As for the cut-out eyes, it was a good idea but when I tried it messed with all the rigging. Some patapons ended up with swords and axes sticking out of thier heads!

post-11238-1205446128_thumb.jpg

That's the stuff, Masna. The more of your own characters that you do the more freedom you have to use them. ;)

Mimicking the Patapon's world will be a very good execise in developing skills and ideas for this style of animation. That was great fun being able to work at such a pace and much more spontanious. :)

• 2 weeks later...

My next Patapon project (using a Patapon styled terrain) will be the Patapons history. It's going to use some new Patapon characters and backgrounds. Hopefully now with spring break ill be able to work on for a while.

Right now I'm just making the first chapter, depicting the once great Patapon army, now on the brink of extinction. But

the great god Kami takes pity on the Patapons and takes them under his reign.

I'm having some problems with the lighting. Could you take a look at this shot and tell me if i'm doing anything wrong? All I did was set the camera background to orange and then it somewhat enveloped the screen.

post-11238-1206547097_thumb.jpg