Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Bug tells a story

Here is the next piece in my development of the facial puppeting system. The goal was to begin exploring the performance possibilities. I gotta say I think it went quite well. Let me know what you think.

(Sorry about the big file, best I could do)

spystory.mov

edit: here's a zip with a DivX avi in it, this looks and sounds better

spystory.zip

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing. The lip sync is almost flawless now. Imagine this guy with materials and final rendered!

Do you have to do any "remapping" to make the origin face fit on to the bug face?

What do the markers drive in AM? Poses or is it a keyframe on every frame?

PS I can see AM studios like SoulCage being interest in this tech.

• Hash Fellow

That looks like a substantial improvement over your previous test. Much less popping.

If you could get the cost of your system down to about the cost of A:M you might have something.

That looks like a substantial improvement over your previous test. Much less popping.

If you could get the cost of your system down to about the cost of A:M you might have something.

You have been spoiled. I blame Martin.

Amazing. The lip sync is almost flawless now. Imagine this guy with materials and final rendered!

Do you have to do any "remapping" to make the origin face fit on to the bug face?

What do the markers drive in AM? Poses or is it a keyframe on every frame?

PS I can see AM studios like SoulCage being interest in this tech.

This approach fundamentally remaps the motion, but all of that is done in the puppet itself. The motion is used unaltered. And once the puppet is set up for a puppeteer there are only tiny tweaks to make for each new performance. Switching performers will require a little more work, I guess, so far it's just me.

This method is creating a key on every frame, but you can use A:M tools to reduce them if you want.

That is crazy how cool that is looking. I think Ken is right. There might be some people out there who would buy this.

As my wife said this morning, the only thing to buy at this point would be me.

This is all still a cobbled together system that mostly shows off A:M's flexibility. I've developed nothing patentable so far, just a bunch of clever hacks gathered over a lot of trial and error.

You could probably zip the DivX and post that.

Shaazam. Here is a zip with a divx avi in it.spystory.zip

That is amazing! I have watched it about 20 times. :blink:

So how much of this is hand animated and how much is from your motion capture setup? I'm assuming that you have to animate the tongue but is everything else handled by Syntheyes and your rig? I'd like to see you put him through some real extremes.

Bloomin' marvelous! :D

That is amazing! I have watched it about 20 times. :blink:

So how much of this is hand animated and how much is from your motion capture setup? I'm assuming that you have to animate the tongue but is everything else handled by Syntheyes and your rig? I'd like to see you put him through some real extremes.

Bloomin' marvelous! :D

You are dead on about the animating. I keyframed his tongue for the "thilenly thneak".

Extremes will come, it's in my nature.

Surprisingly, Bug was not the only one to try out for this part. Here is a fragment of the monkey trying to play against type.

Mostly this was a test to see how transferring between models would work. The monkey is old and wasn't originally designed for this, and yet he performed quite well.

bug_tryout.mov