Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Beware The Jabberwock

I thought about what I could do as a first project, and thought it would be good to make a movie of Jabberwocky - not too long, and I've always been a fan.

Then as I went through TaoA:M I thought, maybe just a verse.

As I finished TaoA:M, I thought, just a couple of words.

So - "BEWARE THE JABBERWOCK!"

post-9673-1169365088_thumb.jpg post-9673-1169364997_thumb.jpg

He's supposed to be from Tenniel's Jabberwock illustration, and, yes, those are socks:

post-9673-1169364907_thumb.jpg

He's only got a basic modified 2001 rig, but as he doesn't appear much in the poem, he doesn't need any more. My next move is to try and bake a Darktree onto his skin and change it in 3d Painter.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Mohammad - I'm embarrassed about the rigging on the wings :D. It's very minimal. I need to think about it more. Here's what there is, for what it's worth.

post-9673-1169366586_thumb.jpg post-9673-1169366654_thumb.jpg

When I was making it, I looked at bats for the structure, so birds will be different. The 'thumb' is the hook, the index and middle fingers in mine only move with the thumb, and should be more flexible, and the other two 'fingers' will move independently.

Nice work, Caroline.

I got to give it up to Rodney, it seems TaoA:M is really helping new users improve quickly. Wish you were around when I started Rodney. I'd probably know something other than Modeling then, haha.

• Admin

Heck... I wish TaoA:M was around when I started out.

I still can't rig a model like that!

Learning isn't a race... its a journey.

What you put into TaoA:M (or any effort) determines what you get out.

I'm confident Caroline will put the same effort into all her projects and the results speak for themselves.

But enough with this already.

We want to see more Jabberwocky!

I can't emphasize enough how much TaoA:M helped me - it gave a structure to learning and research. One thing I could suggest, Rodney, is having half a dozen extra research links to go to, for each exercise, after doing the exercise straight out of the book.

When, for example, doing the Rigging section, I would read everything about rigging on the forum, and print out heaps of tutes. I have a large 3 ring binder that I drink coffee with. That's how I know the wing rigging really needs work. :)

Question:

I'm working on decalling, and can, by following Jim Talbot's videos decal anything that faces front. But for the life of me I can't work out which axes to move, when decalling the top of an arm.

Also, do other people material with darktree, then render, then use the render as a decal? I haven't found much about that.

Also, where should I post this sort of question - should it go in the A:M section, or Newbie, or here?

Also, I lament the demise of the separate forums - those really helped when researching a topic.

I can't emphasize enough how much TaoA:M helped me - it gave a structure to learning and research. One thing I could suggest, Rodney, is having half a dozen extra research links to go to, for each exercise, after doing the exercise straight out of the book.

When, for example, doing the Rigging section, I would read everything about rigging on the forum, and print out heaps of tutes. I have a large 3 ring binder that I drink coffee with. That's how I know the wing rigging really needs work. :)

Question:

I'm working on decalling, and can, by following Jim Talbot's videos decal anything that faces front. But for the life of me I can't work out which axes to move, when decalling the top of an arm.

Also, do other people material with darktree, then render, then use the render as a decal? I haven't found much about that.

Also, where should I post this sort of question - should it go in the A:M section, or Newbie, or here?

Also, I lament the demise of the separate forums - those really helped when researching a topic.

It helps alot of people including me!

• Admin
One thing I could suggest, Rodney, is having half a dozen extra research links to go to, for each exercise, after doing the exercise straight out of the book.

That has been a goal for going on 2 years now.

Look for some advancement in that area this year.

Part of the issue with references is keeping them available and valid.

I don't want to create something that is out of date the day after its added.

There is also the simplicity that Hash Inc has built into TaoA:M.

Accessibility for new users is a priority.

If anyone has links, information to add to those exercises they can be added anywhere in the TaoA:M forum.

When I do any updating on my end thats the first place I'll look.

I don't fully understand the arm decaling question.

What many folks are discovering with the darktrees is that they can create decals from them and that can work better.

Regarding the archived folders. I'm there lamenting with you.

Those areas are gone though and now we are off to try to build an even better forum.

If you post here you'll surely get your answers.

Question:

Terrific Jabberwocky, Caroline - very neat to see.

Not exactly sure what you're asking about the arms - but if you are asking how to decal or flatten arms ?

To flatten: isolate the top half the arm, hide all but that.

Go into an action - rotate the arm to vertical in the action only (from front view), do the axis change (as you do for the face) and then chose flatten. Then apply your decal. You can then do the same thing for the bottom half of the arm. You could probably do a different axis change without rotating, but I'm too lazy to figure it out.

Another way to do arms (without flattening) is to isolate the whole arm, go into an action, rotate arm to vertical when looking at it from front view, apply decal - but choose cylindrical apply.

Depending on how precise you need your decals will determine which method suits you better.

As for materials used as decals - and I'm not into duplicating the mapping exactly for materials as I look at them as really abstractions & patterns (and again I'm lazy) - but you can render a simple vertical patch with the material of choice in a chor as flat rendered, and at any resolution you want - I then use this image as a decal. But then you have to decide for yourself, the repetitions & method (planar, cylindrical, spherical) that best approximates the material when you apply the image as a decal to different surfaces.

Thanks, Nancy - I did try to work out the axes - but my head hurt - so I was hoping someone else had done the work. I shall rotate it so it looks like a head, and also try cylindrical.

I hadn't thought about the single patch method - I shall give that a go. I may decide to just do it in 3d Paint, as I've worked out how to take the view to Twisted Brush and paint there. (Doing the simplest thing in the most complicated way as usual.)

Unnervingly frumious.

Mark

I thought about what I could do as a first project, and thought it would be good to make a movie of Jabberwocky - not too long, and I've always been a fan.

post-9673-1169365088_thumb.jpg post-9673-1169364997_thumb.jpg

He's supposed to be from Tenniel's Jabberwock illustration, and, yes, those are socks:

post-9673-1169364907_thumb.jpg

He's only got a basic modified 2001 rig, but as he doesn't appear much in the poem, he doesn't need any more. My next move is to try and bake a Darktree onto his skin and change it in 3d Painter.

I don't think my character dresses so nattily on his own - so go for it :D

That post has made me ponder and gimble from dawn until brillig and then some. :blink:

I still have a couple projects of my own to finish. And TAoAM. And ABC. So unless you turn this into a group project, I'll wait on this one.

I did make a set mock-up though. That made my brain hurt. {wishes for another view}

Thanks, guys. Chrury - "group project" - lol - it's barely more than a twinkle in my mind! Just a li'l project so I can learn more. (And definitely go for TaoA:M - you'll learn heaps.)

Update: I lost my rigging - moral (at least, I think that's what happened): don't mess with Copy/Flip/Attach after you've rigged - seems obvious now! Almost got it back again now.

I spent the whole weekend doing this:

post-9673-1170050442.jpg

Doesn't seem like much, but, thanks to Will Sutton's definitive decalling tute, and his great video on the Siggraph training CD, I think I'm almost on top of decalling.

I LOVE IT!

That is my all-time favorite poem; I memorized it in 2nd grade because I loved it so much, and can still recite it to this day!

I am thrilled that you used Tenniel's illustration; it is mesmerizing and comical all at once.

If you want to really make your Jabberwock "pop", exaggerate the size of his fore-claws and feet; I think they are actually larger in the drawing, not just perspective at work.

(I admire such a faithful 3-d version of the creature, I re-designed him entirely when I did an animated film of the poem for my literature class in college, mostly for the sake of time. Golly that was fun.)

Beautiful work!

Thank you, Frost - I was in danger of drifting off 'the straight and narrow' and making it 'my own interpretation' (ie - not being able to work out why it doesn't look quite right!).

I've been experimenting with the hair on the claws, but I think you're right, they need to be bigger. I've not rotoscoped him at all, just working with a pic at the top of the screen (thankyou DeskPins). Also, working in landscape, rather than portrait, makes it look a bit different.

I'm having fun with the choice of colours, as that is completely up to me - I hope you won't be disappointed in that. (I did toy with salmon pink, but changed because I'd really like him to have a red waistcoat, but I guess if he were salmon pink, it could have been a black waistcoat.) He was originally green, but I thought that was a bit too obvious and dragon-like for the Lewis Carroll world.

I'd love to see your animated film - it is a brill poem.

hey caroline.

i had to do a project about the poem of the Jabberwock in school just like two weeks ago.

You wouldnt believe how much i hated that poem because of the project i had to do.

Now that you have made such a good model of it i think i like it now.

Caleb B)