Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

New Short Film Theodore N' Fink (15 minutes)

dre4mer

Hey Gang,

I almost hesitate to post this in the "showcase" forum because it is very much a project that was kept under the covers while I learned to use Animation Master, and that was it's purpose. But it's gotta be done, i've been putting it off for two years! It wasn't designed to wow everyone with artistic talent, explosions, and fast paced gunplay. I learned EVERYTHING there is to know about how NOT to make an animation while creating this piece.

The reason I am posting it in it's entirety is as a small thank you to the whole Animation Master Community, and every single one of you who has put up with my questions and stupidities over the years. To Hash as well for creating a program capable of bringing characters to life so intuitively. It's safe to say I would know very little about AM without the help of this forum and the good hearted people who give of their time to help others here. For instance, I remember getting suck for HOURS trying to figure out how to make a silly 5 point patch early on...till someone on the forums mentioned the nice little button for it. lol.... how lame is that.

At any rate to cut through the fat, it's a story about obedience and the target audience is kids. Ken Baer was nice enough to stick it up on AM films for me so you can get it there now. As a warning the quality is pretty poor at the beginning and slowly improves a bit to the end, so don't turn it off after the first few minutes! Chances are if you have kids they might enjoy it.

http://amfilms.hash.com/search/entry.php?entry=1096

Thanks again all of you,

-Ethan

P.S.

One final note, enough poeple have asked that i've put Theo N' Fink on a cute little mini-DVD for thier kids and such. If you have little ones that might like such a thing you can contact me. Not trying to solicit here, the entire film is on AM films, just letting you know it's available.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was funny and cute. The voices are good, as is the whole soundtrack. The eyes are especially effective at bringing the characters to life. They follow the action quite well. Get started on your second short right away.

Thanks Paul! Working on another hopefully better quality one now Martin thanks!

Here's some more "first impression" stuff.

Lot's of good animation. Way, way a lot of good animation. Great eyes... But the models were weak. They needed to be more visually appealing if they're going to be on screen that long. But it's your first bit! I'm not criticizing anything - it's a GREAT first piece. Put up a 2 second test shot first next time, to get some audience feedback on the models and set.

A job very well done Ethan. Congratulations! I enjoyed it very much. Great attention to detail on the environment, and those eyes! You have really captured the characters with those eyes, even the barracudas.

Thanks for the entertainment. Off to watch it again :D

Thanks for the additonal thoughts Martin, you're right, staring at what are essentially talking heads for 15 minutes does get a bit old.

Animating is the fun part, the modeling and rigging doesn't come so well though. I've just about vowed to have characters for another episode of Theodore N' Fink professionally modeled and rigged so that I can focus on the animation and cinematography. I will start bringing some stuff from my next project to the forums for critique.

Thanks for the comments Dhar!

-Ethan

• Admin

Ethan,

Truly impressive.

To think that you put that all together by yourself just amazes me.

A great mix of design/layout, story, character and animation.

You've got some really outstanding mood shots in there too.

I can easily see the point in Martin's thoughts on the models.

If polished or cute like the fish in "Finding Nemo" you'd have a ready made audience.

On the other hand, that they are a little rough in an endearing part of the story.

Sure wish I could have been a fly on your wall as you put this together.

Color me impressed! :)

Thanks so much for the encouraging words guys! It's nice to get some feedback from poeple who know how much work it takes to put an animation together! Most poeple can only compare it to the last 3D feature film they saw in the theater where 700 poeple worked for 3 years to create something that looks insanely good.

Rodney, I think if you were a fly on the wall during the process you would have just seen alot of screaming and hair pulling :)

I sure would love to bring up the bar and put together a series of commercial quality shorts... but alas, where's the time and is there a market?

-Ethan

I sure would love to bring up the bar and put together a series of commercial quality shorts... but alas, where's the time and is there a market?

For shorts, no. Shorts make you famous though, and maybe create a market for your talents, (and your viewers feel good).

I'm not sure there's a market for movies either (you said it, the competition is "insanely good") but we're going to give it a try with "Tin Woodman of Oz" (TWO). I was actually involved in making and selling a movie before (which included 20 minutes of 3D), so I speak from experience. There is a tiny, independent, non-theatrical world market if you sell cheap enough. Getting to it is difficult, and you don't get your time and effort back in money BUT it does get distributed. How many people can say that?

I'd have to say that 3D is a labor of love - but there IS a slight chance of success for those who continue to push onward - like the people in this community. You're welcome to do a shot or two for TWO if you want, just to see what it's like working on a "real" production.

Hey Ethan,

Great work! I love the characters and love the story. Great animation and soundtrack too.

Rather than thinking about making your art a business, you can get Theodore N' Fink shown at the thousands of film festivals or even at a local theater. Every town has at least one art-house theater that has the equivalent of open mic night for local film makers to show their films. I've shown a number of my toons here in Colorado, it is always a lot of fun to see them projected on a big screen. It is also a good way to network and meet other filmmakers. Enjoy making art for art's sake.

Bravo!

Thanks for the invitation Martin, I think I just might be able to work on a shot or two after the Holiday rush, it would certainly be a neat learning expirience! Plus i've always wanted to animate with some characters that were actually rigged by poeple who know what they are doing!

Bruce, interesting idea I hadn't thought of trying to get it shown at a nearby theater, think i'd be scared to unless I could create something to a higher level of perfection. Guess it wouldn't hurt to check into though, thanks!

-Ethan

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ethan

This is great work. Congratulations on making such an ambitious project. I know that is not easy.

Don't worry about people comparing this to finding nemo. I have a few bad reviews of my froggy boxing game on download.com and I know they are comparing it to top notch games when that is not the intention of the game. But I have over 9,000 downloads! And I know some kids I know enjoy it so I am happy.

Keep up the great work. Never give up.

Take Care

• 2 weeks later...

Very, VERY nice. I can't even imagine the work that went into a piece like that, considering I've sqeezed out a mere two minutes in a year on my latest project.

The expressions on the fish are wonderful, and the sound effects and nice and cartoony.

My only critique would be the pacing, since most kids are impatient nowadays; it could move a bit faster.

Wonderful!