Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Wolverine

I should be working on TWO stuff right now but...

Okay, so I happened to come upon a picture of this action figure of Wolverine and decided that it really needed to be modeled

Here's the torso so far... [attachmentid=22727]

again I really want to get that cool look that Blur studio gets. Is that kind of look achievable for A:M? What do you think?

Lee

torso.JPG

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Trajce. I think that it's possible too. I'm not sure I'm there yet, but I'd really like to see more people try for that look.

Well I started on the mask. The face itself is probably going to be redone, but there needed to be something in there to fill up the space. [attachmentid=22737]

Just for fun, here's a model from 5 years ago that I did of wolverine. Yes, I was a nerd five years ago too, it's nothing new :) [attachmentid=22738]

newhead.JPG

old.JPG

Here's an update with legs and updated shoulder pads.

I think it's coming along pretty well. I'm still not satisfied with his face. It needs to be meaner, I think.

[attachmentid=22797]

Here's a few from the back

[attachmentid=22798]

Is there anything that could be better about this model?

Lee

legs.JPG

back.JPG

as fruity as this sounds, how about an actual butt.....

It's funny you say this, right before I posted my progress last time, I got rid of the old crack, because I didn't like the way it looks. Maybe it's just...uh...preference

but on the straight side i think the crotch area is to much.

You might be right here. I think the seams leading up there make it look a little awkward

finally his head is to small, compared to his body.

I agree with this. The head just doesn't work for me all around at this point, except the mask.

I made him some boots, at this point they look like they're straight out of a bad sci-fi movie, and I really like it that way :D

[attachmentid=22849]

Also, I started on the arms and put him in one of Yves' skylights to see how he'd look under some good light.

[attachmentid=22848]

What do you think all?

bootsarms.JPG

boots.JPG

Rigging it looks like an adventure.

Ahh yes...I really dislike rigging anyway

now for the hairy arms and gloves!!! if your gonna add them.

Don't forget the claws

Looking great! Check on modifying bits and pieces of anatomy.

Neck, Ribs, stomach muscle, ass, knee, thigh muscles, lower leg cup muscles.

Satyajit

Thanks for the serious critique Satyajit! Okay, so I checked out these places. The Ribs have me stumped. For the stomache muscles, I was really going for that formed abs superhero costume look. Here's the solutions to the rest of the errors according to my primitive understanding of anatomy. Please feel free to mark the image if you have the time, I would like this to be as accurate as possible. [attachmentid=22904]

Thanks also Case, for your support!

Lee

anatomy.JPG

This would be a good model, to use A:M's hair shader on his arms.... Let's all remember that Wolvie is one hairy little fellow. Make him true to form, not the butchered version from the films! :)

is it just me or is the foot deformed.....

It will be unless you explain what you mean a little more

[attachmentid=22943]

Vong, you and me are thinkin' along the same lines! Here's an early arm hair test. Any tips on making the arm hair more realistic? I think you'll also be pleased to know that my Wolverine is scaled at 5' 2"

But hey, compared to Halle Berry as Storm, Hugh Jackman didn't do too bad

Any more comments?

armhair.JPG

ok.. its to a point now where I can comment. Looks good, but I agree with some of the comments about anatomy.. Number one.. his legs are to fat at the knees. Taper them into the knee more and you're right in your drawing.. carry the muscles down around the knee.. don't end them above it. Same with the elbows.. very important to bring the muscles from the forarm up and around the elbow joint.

His shins are to short.. add about two or three inches to his height by elongating his shins.

As muscular as you have him.. I'd beef up the shoulder joints alot as well. they actually taper in like a skinnier arm would, when they should be thicker than the bicep.

I'm really digging the costume. I'd just work on the anatomy.

Here's some links to stuff I've posted for reference before.. I think I may have even done parts for downloads.

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?act=A...st&id=15498

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...20167&st=45

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9642&st=0

an arm model http://www.colins-loft.net/free/parts/Arm.mdl

a torso model

http://www.colins-loft.net/free/parts/trunk.mdl

here's an example of what I'm saying about the elbows and knees...

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?act=A...st&id=14424

Keep it up.. its looking awesome.

C

Nah.. don't give up on it Lee.. it'll turn out in the end... Its already excellent.. I'm just trying to help you make it perfect ;-)

keep it up.. it'll work out.. you'll probably end up resplining half of him 3 years from now and making him even better. I do it all the time.

What do you plan on doing with him.. Animation or stills? if its just stills rigging him in the short term doesn't half to be a huge nightmare.. you can just rig him enough to get a pose and clean up the mesh for the still. If its animation, you'll need more "rig" so you don't half to do a ton of cleanup on each frame. If you just rig him for still shots, you can always come back later and rig him for animation. Think of it as an iterative process.

I think everyone wants to see you finish this guy. Don't think all the comments are tearing him apart. Its all opinion as well. I'll post wips sometimes and get tons of comments, half will be subjective. Some I'll use.. some I won't.

keep at it.. its all good.

C

looks pretty kool, my opinion head seems a little small just me though

Alright, I enlarged the head in the new one, just a little bit though, I think that superheroes should have smaller heads. Samuel L. Jackson said that the supervillains had bigger heads in "Unbreakable" Who says you don't learn anything from movies?

keep it up.. it'll work out.. you'll probably end up resplining half of him 3 years from now and making him even better. I do it all the time.

That's probably true and it wouldn't be the first time I've done it either, that's what I love about this!

What do you plan on doing with him.. Animation or stills?

There's a Hero themed contest coming up, I figure that would be a good start. I already have the 2001 rig in him, no bells or whistles or anything, but that will probably work. Thanks again for the help

[attachmentid=23023]

Here he is with some changes to the anatomy. I think it's getting better, He seems to have lost some definition in his arms, though. I'm planning on adding in veins with bump maps, but maybe they're needs to be some modeling to get some of that back.

Also, the sides of the legs look wrong to me. Maybe it's just the costume

Oh yeah, and I tried a little something different with the colors.

Tell me what you think

Lee

newfront.JPG

Looking good Lee. the head looks even better, and I think its perfect now.

I took the liberty of hiliting some points on the pic you posted. Mostly "opinion" stuff, so if you think it rings true change it.. if not stick to what you know.

the right side is modified in photoshop.. the left side stays the same.

[attachmentid=23029]

Colin, there were a few things that you had going on that I really like (aside from the anatomy changes that I would agree with). The way you expanded his hands reminded me a lot of Olivier Couston's work.

It would almost be fun to take this in a totally new direction and just make it totally stylized. As soon as I get the more realistic version done, I may end up distortion-boxing the heck out of this guy.

Sorry mister mage, I guess I'm still not seeing what the problem is. If you're talking about the way the boot kind of "flares" at the bottom, I'd have to disagree. I think it adds weight. It's like: "This guy is so huge, his feet melt when he walks!" Just my opinion.

I have another TWO assignment so I should start working on that for a while, but Wolvy is in no way on the backburner!

Thanks everyone

I may end up distortion-boxing the heck out of this guy.

That is an excellent Idea... I do it all the time. Its how my demon went from blah to hulk in about 10 minutes ;-)

I like Couston's style to. I always like the "Michelangelo" large forarm hand style. Its especially appropriate for Wolverine since he's a bit of a thug anyway. I can't wait to see the experiments.

And for the record.. I agree with the boots. They look fine to me to. I'm not sure what Mage is getting at either.

Wolverine is commng out great!.

One little remmark, though: his head should be bigger relative to the body! Wolverine should be a short guy (and we know he is ;o)), and that means that his body is shorter (people's heads are all about the same size) - the way he is now, he looks about two meters tall!

Keep us posted!

One little remmark, though: his head should be bigger relative to the body! Wolverine should be a short guy (and we know he is ;o)), and that means that his body is shorter (people's heads are all about the same size) - the way he is now, he looks about two meters tall!

Wow, are people's heads really all the same size? That's interesting. Who says who don't learn things on the forums? ;) Oh wait, no one said that.

I didn't make the head larger in the normal version (it looks good to me). Thanks for the interest, though.

So, here are two renders with a simple rig in them. One is the normal (went back to blue) and the other is the cartoon style. The cartoon style is turning out well, but there is something wrong with his face that I just can't seem to see.

Anyway here they are:

[attachmentid=23097]

[attachmentid=23098]

lightnormal.JPG

lightcartoon.JPG