Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Meet the Little Barbarian!

Meet the Little Barbarian! Short of stature, but big on courage… or not…

This is one model that I have been working on (and off ;-) ) during the last year.

I have just been having fun modeling, but in time some little animation emerges from the fog in the distance…

[attachmentid=15581]

So far I have him modeled, and I have his head textured… Rest of him is textured with procedural materials (easily visible with the hair) and waits for my spare time…

Textures made with Painter Classic.

Light is standard 3 – light choreography setup.

Not rigged yet: just two bones in his body so far: head and jaw… I am waiting for the final v11 squetch rig…

That would be all…

[attachmentid=15582][attachmentid=15583][attachmentid=15584][attachmentid=15585][attachmentid=15586]

Waiting for your comments!

Drvarceto

post-5104-1143763032_thumb.jpg

post-5104-1143763060_thumb.jpg

post-5104-1143763086_thumb.jpg

post-5104-1143763118_thumb.jpg

post-5104-1143763144_thumb.jpg

post-5104-1143763171_thumb.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zaryn, Chin dimple and his philtrum (yeah, that's the name of it) were done via displacement map (It took me eternity to paint it, having in mind v11 limitations with displacement), but it brought such a sense of sucess that I would have never changed them ;-D

I hope that I will post some updates next few days...

Drvarceto

• 3 weeks later...

It took me a while to texture the hands the way I wanted, but I am glad with the result…

For the last few days I was playing with the idea of making this little guy move, and today I had some time… voila, here he is in all his (moving) glory.

I installed the squetch rig, and it turned out much easier than anticipated… Install plugin made it much faster than before when I moved million bones by hand.

I said this elsewhere, but I’ll repeat it here: much thanks to David Simmons who made (and perfected) the Squetch rig and to Martin Hash that had the vision to make it official TWO rig (did I mentioned that he also makes some cool software ? ;-D)

I’ll try to iron out some creases that form when moving, weight the CP’s where necessary and then we’ll see what will come out of this guy…

Of course, I have a lot of texturing left (hair, clothes) and I’ll try to install Stephen Cleary’s Face gizmo…

[attachmentid=16170]

post-5104-1145560560_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Finally, I've managed to texture this guy properly, and here he is in all his textured glory (philtrum an' all)

[attachmentid=19496]

I have even done some animation, but since it is only first run to it (and I've got sime serious critique from my better half), it will wait for the next post (I just hope that it will not be few months from now;-D)

waiting for your critiques...

Drvarceto

post-5104-1155238012_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Beautiful Render there... the barbarian really looks great all posed, in a setting doing something.

The specular highlights (while looking pretty nice in the small image) seem to be a bit much in the larger images. Thinkin more about it... it's probably not the highlights so much as the refectivity on the skin.

More please! :)

The specular highlights (while looking pretty nice in the small image) seem to be a bit much in the larger images. Thinkin more about it... it's probably not the highlights so much as the refectivity on the skin.
But I bet it picks out the skin texture really well when it's animated!

Nice work

Really neat model. Looks like a happy, friendly barbarian. A good drinking buddy?

I like how you've got such a nice rugged pore/bump texture on the skin - I think the specularity is a bit high (perhaps reduce size? intensity?), as he looks a bit metallic. Maybe some variation in color on the skin might be interesting, as he appears monotone. - ie could add areas of patchy color for cheeks, nose, tops of knuckles, a scar or two. Might have to tone down the intensity of red color of the overall skin tho, to add more localized patchy color. Dusan Kastelic's Perk is an excellent example of patchy areas of coloring.

Yep - Definitely a high class Pillager!

WOW! Comments from some of the people that I respect the most around here! Thanks!

I agree that specularity is bit too high, but I was going for sweaty/drunken/grumpy look, so it was kinda intentional, but I guess I went too far ; -D

Reds prevail in the image beacuse of the fireplace light that I was trying to emulate... However, it seems that changing of light intensity over time (so to emulate fire burning) seems to be too much of distraction, so I'll have to rethink this...

Thanks for your comments, please, keep them comming!

Drvarceto

I was going for sweaty/drunken/grumpy look,

I did kinda suspect that you might be going for a sweaty look - so it wasn't too far off - Maybe beads of sweat -painted with bump or displacement ? - could even animate them dripping. I think varying the facial tone will also help communicate the flushed look as well. (also see Schiltzy for good variation in face coloring)