Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Turtle

Hutch

Well, I just wanted to share a little character I have been working on for the past few days. I have learned alot working on him and have become pretty excited about my first forays into actually making something move! I haven't slept all night and I have to go do a 12 hour shift in a few more hours :blink: I kept coming up with ideas every time I tried to sleep. Work is gonna be rough but it is worth it.

I know this isn't perfect but I just wanted to share what I have. I plan to do the next few lines of the scene if anyone recognizes it :D

everitturtle1.mov

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it so far, I'm sure it'll look even better with textures! One thing that sticks out at me is the fingers/toes. They seem too pointy to me. I'm guessing in real life turtles have pointy fingers (I can't seem to picture one) but IMO more rounded ones would look better on your model. I get the 'roundy' vibe from the face and body, and it might look better carried to the hands and feet.

This is just my opinion though, it's your model and you can do what you want to it! Just my 2 cents.

Beautiful proportions Hutch.

I really like the thick/thin and length ratios.

I do think you will be able to pull off (make them work well) the pointy fingers and toes,

but the connections need some tweeking, too cylindrical.

You might also consider differentiating between left and right feet.

The length of toes will help to shape that.

Consider moving the thumb back a bit.

You've got an elegant form for the front shell, very pleasing.

Are you going to open up the space between the two shells where the legs and arms attach?

You might need to, for fuller articulation.

At least that's the way I see it. :D

Dan (you can call me Dan) RJ

Zaryin, thanks for the encouraging words. Don't know how I missed it before. Simple is what I am shooting for, my past projects got abandoned due to frustration due to attempting something above my skill level.

starving4rtist and Dan, thanks for the suggestions. I am not quite happy with his feet and hands but I am not sure what I will do with them. I would like to simplify them more but not lose any expressiveness. His shell does open slightly for his arms and legs. I can always make it open wider to accomadate greater range of movement if it becomes necessary. Even though it would be physically impossible for him to pull his extremities inside his shell, I am going to attempt to animate him doing so later.

Thanks again for all your input!

Haha, i like this character. He's already a funny guy and he hasn't even said much yet. :)

The walk cycle looks a little funky to me- not really fluid, i guess. He seems to slow down and speed up a lot... But overall, nice turtle! Looking forward to more!

-Andrew

Hey Hutch,

Very nice.

I love the deliberate pace!

Super toe snap behind, although a touch late.

Wonderful foot placement.

There is a little glitch in the knee just after he puts his left foot down in front.

I'd like to see this as a true loop, seems to be a couple frames off.

Now to add some hip movement, around the y axis,

a little twist on the shell (unless it's going to stay stiff)

and some head bob.

Might loosen up the wrist a bit too.

I really like this guy!

DanRJ

Thanks everyone for the replies! I haven't been in much of an animating mood, so I started modeling some environments for him. Those aren't far enough along to show. I have no experience of modeling a set and I am trying to make a nice little pond. I do have a fish started. I tried Yve's sky light for this render. I don't understand why the inside of his mouth is lit so well, anyone know what is going on there?

post-7-1102039403.jpg

Ok, I know I am tired now because I just tried to scroll my browser by pressing the m key and dragging with the mouse lol. Anyway, thanks DarkLimit. I started on some textures on the fish. If I ever actually make anything from this this fish will just be swimming in the back ground of the koi pond where my turtle lives :D

post-7-1102060709.jpg

Hey thanks for the compliments on my fish. I hope he doesn't look too Nemoish. But if he does, oh well, he is just a back ground character. I will probably do some variations on his coloring so there are three or four varieties in the pond.

Zaryin, where have I been? Well, that could be a really long story depending where I start...

Here I just wanted to see if I rigged my fish sufficiently to make him swim. I will probably add an action or pose to make his mouth open and close and be done with him besides the alternate textures.

swim.mov

Hey again. Yah I agree about the fish swimming too fast Mike. I will worry about that later though. I got side tracked again and started another character. I morphed my turtle into a racoon! Textures still in progress and have yet to model his body but let me know what ya think. I may have to upgrade so I can put some fur on him.

post-7-1102486584.jpg