Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Incredibly Obvious.

KenH

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice!

I don't know if you're trying to make Mr. Incredible himself, or just someone like him, but if you're after Mr. I you should note that his brow is much stronger--almost a straight horizontal shelf above his nose.

• Admin

Ken,

I must say... you have a knack for capturing PIXAR character likenesses.

From Gerry to Mr. Incredible... you seem to catch the basic likenesses easily.

Yeah... maybe it needs refinement... but I doubt many who have seen the trailers wouldn't have known who he was.

'Incredibly" fine splining!

Very sweet!

I like the modeling approach as well. just what the head needs nothing more. How's it render?

I agree about the brow. Mr. Inc has a very neandertol type brow. I'd also suggest making the back of the head more full. More muscles attaching to the skull to make it less concave and more convex. Imagine Football players.. They have those little fat roles on the base of the skull. and a stump of a neck that runs into it.

It is a well done head though. I do hope you decide to finish him.

C

Thanks guys. :) Here's a quick update. Not exactly like him, but without decent reference(or seeing the movie!) it's the best I can hope for. Maybe hair will make a bigger difference.

Colin I'll be using your hair tut for that :). And thanks again for his eyes.

updat.jpg

Wow. Great stuff. I'm way off on alot of him. Cheers.

Some of his features are very "chiseled" looking. For example his brow furrows. I'm not sure how that could be done with a small amount of splines. Maybe displacement/bump maps would be the answer there.

I'm having abit of trouble adding the hair. I thought I would be able to just add images(with alpha) to his head and then there would be a way to have the hair constrain to only inside the images. That way you can have hair on only abit of a patch if you only need it. Also that the hair would take on the colour of the image it passes through. But I can't see a way to do this.

Would anyone have any advice?

Hair.jpg

Obvious, what's obvious? I don't get it. What supposed to be so obvious about tha- oooooooh. Yup. That's pretty obvious. Incredibly obvious one might say. hehe, yup. I'm a little slow today soo... anyways,

Have you checked out colin freeman's tutrorial with hair. It's worked wonders for him and his Robin model. Hope that helps!

Thanks Paul. Good idea and I just tried it but no luck. Either I'm missing something or it's just not possible. Don't know which.

Xade: I know about Colins great tutorial (first and last one I ever needed!) but I was hoping to stay away from skull caps. It's a fine way, but it just seems "incomplete" to me. Also, I'm not sure it would work for this guy as his hairline is all over the place.

I'll let you into a secret and it can only be really done with AM(that I know). Firstly the model is only half made(50% of the work).....but mainly, some of the parts....specifically the hands have been copied and pasted from an earlier model I made.

So, the more models you make, the faster you can get at making them because there are parts you can use canablolise! Try doing that with polys!