Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Small test I recently did with layering Color image textures in one Decal...

Fuchur

I am not sure if people are aware of this, but I just did a small test and it works...
You can even use one decal (UV set) to layer color maps with transparency over each other.

Not sure if it helps a lot (maybe with 3d painting it could be nice for instance to animate wounds or skin changes or something like that?) but it was an interesting thing for me...

Best regards
*Fuchur*

decal_texture_layering.zip

• Like 3

• Hash Fellow

This is a useful technique for keeping different-purpose maps exactly aligned.

For example you might paint some steel-gray rivets on a copper-color background in a paint program and stamp that onto your model and set it to COLOR. Then, back in the paint program you might copy that color image and edit it to be a grayscale bump map to elevate the rivets above the background. You would save out that new version, drop it into the folder that already has the color version, set it to BUMP and the details of both will align pixel-perfect.

You don't have to try to stamp the second map exactly on top of the first.

Yes, that is the normal approach... but the interesting part at least for me was, that even one type can be combine from different maps here too.
So for instance if you have a layered approach in 3dcoat or photoshop, you can even keep those layers intact with this method. Did not know that was possible.

Best regards
*Fuchur*