• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Ya know... life is funny.

I just got a message last night from my daughter's school and the superintendent/caller's name was Fiegel.

I don't recall ever hearing that name before but this topic made me think... hmmmm.... I have heard that name before... I wonder...

It seems that Frank Fiegel was a native of Chester, Illinois which isn't very far from where I am.

I even visited there before (and was a little disappointed that popeye wasn't plastered all over the place).

At any rate, I'd say the odds are very good that this Fiegel is related to that (Frank) Fiegel.

From a wikia entry:
Frank "Rocky" Fiegel (January 27, 1868 - March 24, 1947) was a real-life person from E. C. Segar's home town of Chester, Illinois who (like J. William Schuchert and Dora Paskel) inspired a Thimble Theatre character. In this case, Popeye.
Frank Fiegel, nicknamed "Rocky", was a well-known Chester individual. Something of a local legend, he supposedly had an inordinate strength and often participated in fights. Like Popeye, he smoked a pipe and was toothless. He is said to have been kind to children as well.
Since 1996, his gravestone bears an engraving of Popeye's face as he first appeared in Thimble Theatre.

Fiegel.jpeg

• *A:M User*

Ya know... life is funny.

I just got a message last night from my daughter's school and the superintendent/caller's name was Fiegel.

I don't recall ever hearing that name before but this topic made me think... hmmmm.... I have heard that name before... I wonder...

It seems that Frank Fiegel was a native of Chester, Illinois which isn't very far from where I am.

I even visited there before (and was a little disappointed that popeye wasn't plastered all over the place).

At any rate, I'd say the odds are very good that this Fiegel is related to that (Frank) Fiegel.

Quite possibly. Six Degrees of Popeye? I guess it really is a small world.