sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Least appealing 3D software ad I've seen today...

robcat2075

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• *A:M User*

I think someone is taking the piss, that can't be for real. Or maybe they are trying to be "hip" and show a retro look? That would be "omigosh high end graphics!" in 1985 maybe.

I think someone is taking the piss, that can't be for real. Or maybe they are trying to be "hip" and show a retro look? That would be "omigosh high end graphics!" in 1985 maybe.

I think this is a style thing... I have seen one or two images like that in ads... a photoreal model just does no longer look very much like 3d, since it can be mistake very easily for a photo... the solution is: Make it more visible ;).

Of course a 3d artist will run away in horror if he sees something like that ;).

See you

*Fuchur*

I think this is a style thing. I could imagine a whole short in this style where everything is realistically proportioned and physically based materials and rendering but facetted. I think that could actually look nice.

I think this is a style thing. I could imagine a whole short in this style where everything is realistically proportioned and physically based materials and rendering but facetted. I think that could actually look nice.

Works for me... but I like BUS FUMES, too.

Doing some googling, apparently this is indeed a new "in" thing with style.

Do a Google search for "polygon portrait."

It's done in vector programs over a photo. They essentially draw out a wireframe over the face and then use a single color from within each "polygon" to fill them. The result is this facetted look that makes me think of Bizarro Superman.

• Hash Fellow

Whoops! Prices are increasing! Graphics quality not increasing.

autodesk2.JPG

This time I clicked on it. I kind of suspected it might be a scam-reseller site, not authorized by Autodesk.

But no... it went to an actual autodesk.com page. :o

Why anyone would buy Maya over AM, I do not know. I've never actually used Maya (although I have used Alias, wayyyyy back when the land was young and so was I) so maybe there is something there that is worth paying $185/month for.

As much as I dislike subscription fees, AMs is at least reasonable. The only way it would be more reasonable is if you could somehow have a license you could move between systems, but only use one copy of. Like if it was on a usb key or something.

But for the price of one month of Maya, you can get 2 copies of AM! For a whole year! And have money left over for lunch. How cool is that?

• Hash Fellow

I recall when I worked at Nortel we had a license for Alias Animator. It had been purchased for a very ill-advised venture into something called "VR" which I was not a part of, but after the smoke cleared Alia Animator was still there in our office.

This was around 1998 or so. It was a $30,000 program that ran on a $60,000 SGI "workstation."

I gave it a try but I was dumbfounded... what did it have that A:M v5 didn't have? Maybe there was something but I couldn't detect anything notable and everything was harder and more tedious than in A:M.

I recall when I worked at Nortel we had a license for Alias Animator. It had been purchased for a very ill-advised venture into something called "VR" which I was not a part of, but after the smoke cleared Alia Animator was still there in our office.

This was around 1998 or so. It was a $30,000 program that ran on a $60,000 SGI "workstation."

I gave it a try but I was dumbfounded... what did it have that A:M v5 didn't have? Maybe there was something but I couldn't detect anything notable and everything was harder and more tedious than in A:M.

Alias version 9 was the last one I used. It was not terribly easy to use. My favorite part was that it was a $30k program with several plug-ins that cost $5k-$10k a piece. So you spent $30,000 but still needed to spend more if you wanted all the super-cool features.