sprockets TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Comic Sans and Killer Asteroids

Rodney

• Admin

There was a discussion here in the forum about fonts that focused on the Comic Sans typeface awhile back so this relates to that...

BoingBoing.net reports that Errol Morris ran a New York Times quiz about being an optimist or a pessimist about killer asteroids but it has now been revealed that the whole quiz was just a test to determine the influence of different style fonts on the human brain.

Odd stuff for sure... we could have told him that Comic Sans was a lousy typeface without the test. ;)

At any rate. Here's the write up for those interested:

http://boingboing.net/2012/08/09/errol-mor...about-kill.html

(I wonder how much money was spent on this test)

Somewhat unrelated... If you think about it long enough you begin to wonder why the heck we bother to read any newspaper these days. How many articles aren't really interested in sharing truthful information but rather just exploring how to better influence/manipulate/modify people.

Added: Don't forget to read the commentary where readers question the artful manipulation of the statistical bar graphs.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

without a value scale, bar graphs like this are close to meaningless! And I can't believe they have to do a secret test to see if people hate Comic Sans.

EDIT: that article on "Why You Hate Comic Sans" is terrific, actually!

without a value scale, bar graphs like this are close to meaningless! And I can't believe they have to do a secret test to see if people hate Comic Sans.

EDIT: that article on "Why You Hate Comic Sans" is terrific, actually!

Just read that too! And I agree, though about 3/4 of the comments are ignorant and obviously by gradmas making lost kitten posters. That kinda miffed me some cause I hate when people miss the point of something and instead use it to make character judgements about the author...a bit like what I'm doing right now actually. I'm a hypocrite. :P

In my ad design class one thing i learned was to never ever use comic sans unless its for playful writing or comics in general (hence the name).

its presents a appearance that the writer was lazy, unimaginative, and lacks any design ability. as far as a typographical font, it doesn't really help the page be readable in a timely fashion

since the font is self was never meant to be used for more than 2-3 sentences at a time. as you can tell by reading this now. its becoming more difficult to read as the words start to blend and

slowing the reader down.

That's why comic sans is suppose to be used when needed. not as a everyday font. unless you are reading comics everyday.