Hash, Inc. Forums

Using a Walk Cycle on a Path

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

This tutorial introduces A:M's basic drag and drop functionality for putting a model on a path and adding a walk cycle Action to it.

It also discusses the "ease" parameter of the Path Constraint, the "crop range" settings for an Action, and using the "Measure spline" tool to better match the time your walk takes to the distance it will travel.

WalkCycleOnAPathH350.mov

My main question, or observation, is that using the stride length indicator is not so clear. Did what you show constitute the entire method of using it? I thought there was a further, er, step in making it work, like you advance to the character's next step and make a further adjustment or setting, but maybe I've been doing it wrong, or doing something extra that wasn't necessary. It does confuse me.

• Hash Fellow
My main question, or observation, is that using the stride length indicator is not so clear. Did what you show constitute the entire method of using it? I thought there was a further, er, step in making it work, like you advance to the character's next step and make a further adjustment or setting, but maybe I've been doing it wrong, or doing something extra that wasn't necessary. It does confuse me.

You are right that I only touched on it briefly and I do intend to make a bigger mention about it in the actual walk tut.

However, that's all there is to it really. Set it to measure the distance from heel-to-heel at the contact pose and that will be the most accurate way to use it.

It measures one "stride" and that's something that is clearest in contact pose, the moment when the heel hits the ground, when both feet are on the ground.

However, that's all there is to it really. Set it to measure the distance from heel-to-heel at the contact pose and that will be the most accurate way to use it.

It measures one "stride" and that's something that is clearest in contact pose, the moment when the heel hits the ground, when both feet are on the ground.

The important part of what you're saying (if I understand correctly) is that the stride length is exactly 1/2 of the full cycle length.

• Hash Fellow

The important part of what you're saying (if I understand correctly) is that the stride length is exactly 1/2 of the full cycle length.

In A:M parlance, yes. It is the distance from, say, a left footprint to a right footprint, which is half of a walk cycle. (A full cycle would be left to right to left)

It may be that is an ambiguous term. In looking up definitions of the noun "stride" I find that it may be intended as one step (in humans) or as the complete cycle of motion (in horses).