sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Motion Comics

tbenefi33

I was looking around on Youtube at 4:00 am and came across some Motion Comic that looks pretty interesting

here and example of what I saw

Was just curious has any body ever tried to use A:M to create some Motion Comics ?

Now it's bed time good night yall.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin
Was just curious has any body ever tried to use A:M to create some Motion Comics ?

There have been several pushing into the realm of motion comics but keep in mind that motion comics is coming around for what... it's third attempt at grabbing audience's attention. When they first showed up the web was still not a viable distribution method and so the comics were distributed by CD.

There were a few contests ran on using A:M to create comic books and that generated more than a few creations of interest. It also generated a little bit of controversy at the time because there were more than a few 3D purists that thought animating 2D drawings in A:M was cheating.

One of the more recent practitioners of motion comics was Vernon Zehr whose motion comics could almost be viewed as flash-style animation.

I think that Jost is currently fielding some mature content that qualifies as motion comics.

Christo Stassis is (or at least was) using A:M to create his interactive online comic 'Dragon 6'. He apparently got a $1,200 grant with which to create it. :blink:

Let see...

Comic book artist Kyle Baker... (I think he's mostly done animation with A:M though and still mostly draws his comics)

I don't think you classify comic book covers as motion comics so.. I'll stop there.

I haven't seen any true motion comics (cutting up existing comic book art and animating the pieces) done with A:M, but it could be done. You could cut up the comic pieces in Photoshop and bring them in as PNG files and place them as layers in a choreography. I think you could constrain the parts and pieces to something with a rig, so that you could animate the movements.

Some of the more advanced motion comics make use of 3D elements, so you'd have that option with A:M.

The question I ask is whether or not there's a real audience for that sort of thing.

I've watched several of the motion comics out there and I think they are mostly hit and miss (with a lot of missing.) They aren't really a comic book anymore, but they aren't really animation, either. The result is interesting as a gimmick up to a point, but it's one of those things that the method is so prominent that it's hard to see past it and get lost in the storytelling.

I suspect they are a response to the fact that young people don't really read anymore and it's cheaper than full animation.

To me, once you even begin to animate the still images, I as an audience member start to have an expectation of movement that the process really can't deliver on and it wanders into being a very fancy version of South Park style cutout animation.

Last year I animated four minutes from my Wannabe Pirates comic, but that was actual animation, I didn't try to animate the still images from the comic.

It'd be a good way to keep an online story going while a fully animated Episode was being worked on. Then there'd be something to keep the audience entertained while they wait for the big animated fight or season finale

then it's just a teaser. A long time ago, when I was publishing my magazine, I was looking into moving the story line I was writing into an online comic. I had envisioned that the web page would be traditional comic book panels, but when the viewer clicked on them, a few seconds of animation would play in the panel, fleshing out the story. Never got that off the ground though.

It'd be a good way to keep an online story going while a fully animated Episode was being worked on. Then there'd be something to keep the audience entertained while they wait for the big animated fight or season finale

then it's just a teaser. A long time ago, when I was publishing my magazine, I was looking into moving the story line I was writing into an online comic. I had envisioned that the web page would be traditional comic book panels, but when the viewer clicked on them, a few seconds of animation would play in the panel, fleshing out the story. Never got that off the ground though.

No not a teaser, It'd be more like a full comic that's got basic animation but important events are fully animated. So you'd write it that the regular comic would build up to a big spectacular event and that episode would be fully animated. That way you can work on the big set piece while still churning out episodes to keep people going