sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Brad Bird's new film well received

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

I saw "Mission:Impossible" 4 and it's certainly the least deep of anything he's directed but it's pretty good.

Almost every review lists "Iron Giant" in passing as one of his films so maybe it will finally get noticed.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mission_im...ghost_protocol/

I think you can skip the extra cost for seeing it in IMAX, it really just amounts to an extra sliver of image at the top and bottom of the screen, and louder sound.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I had no idea Bird directed this. It's not a franchise I've ever had much interest in. Saw the first one I think, but it was just a tad incomprehensible as I recall.

The first one was quite good, at least entertaining...

A group of spies is hunting a renegade / mole in the organisation and the wrong person gets blamed for it (Tom Cruise). But in the end he fights all the bad persons and wins.

Classic spy-movie, not bad at all.

The following weren't that good but still watchable if nothing else was on TV ;). (especially the second one is too disproportionate for my taste).

This one could be another good one, but I don't know yet since I wasn't in it till now.

Each move has another director to keep the style different, like it was done with the Alien-movies, etc.

That is often not a bad idea for sequels, if you ask me.

See you

*Fuchur*

I saw it Friday and enjoyed it. I wasn't a fan of the first two, but liked the last one and this one. It's hard to say if there's any kind of Brad Bird style to it. It's not really a director's movie, but there were a lot of complicated set pieces and sequences that I think were communicated well. Probably on purpose, there wasn't anything that connected the film to animation. I think there'll be some of that made mention towards Andrew Stanton for the John Carter movie since there are cg characters/creatures in it.

I puzzled at the decision to split the release of this M:I movie. The IMAX (large screen) version was released Friday and the regular release isn't until Wednesday (?). Why not try to win the weekend? As it stands, only being in limited release, it fell behind the latest Alvin & the Chipmunks sequel in box office. Next weekend has Tin-Tin and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo opening.

• Hash Fellow

The press seems to regard their 3rd place finish as above expectations while the Sherlock and Alvin debuts were below expectations so maybe they won the buzz for the weekend.

I was hoping there would be some sort of 2D credits at the end, but nope.

• Hash Fellow

Technical point...

In "Iron Giant" the ballistic missile is powered only on the way up, then falls back to earth. In "Mission:Impossible" it is powered all the way up and down. I think "Iron Giant" is the more correct representation.

I saw it Friday and enjoyed it. I wasn't a fan of the first two, but liked the last one and this one. It's hard to say if there's any kind of Brad Bird style to it. It's not really a director's movie, but there were a lot of complicated set pieces and sequences that I think were communicated well. Probably on purpose, there wasn't anything that connected the film to animation. I think there'll be some of that made mention towards Andrew Stanton for the John Carter movie since there are cg characters/creatures in it.

I puzzled at the decision to split the release of this M:I movie. The IMAX (large screen) version was released Friday and the regular release isn't until Wednesday (?). Why not try to win the weekend? As it stands, only being in limited release, it fell behind the latest Alvin & the Chipmunks sequel in box office. Next weekend has Tin-Tin and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo opening.

The press seems to regard their 3rd place finish as above expectations while the Sherlock and Alvin debuts were below expectations so maybe they won the buzz for the weekend.

I was hoping there would be some sort of 2D credits at the end, but nope.

Robert is correct, for a limited release, it did extraordinarily well and I think it'll put up a tough fight this weekend with its full release being tomorrow (or today depending on what time zone you're in). Tintin will do well I think, however the buzz generated around that one has only been mediocre and it being 3d will inflate the box office revenue, but actual butts in seats will undoubtedly be lower. Dragon Tattoo has a fair bit of buzz around it, however it has rating going against it and movies with higher ratings like Tattoo tend to fare kinda poorly at the box office as the target audience isn't actually the primary audience that usually goes to see movies. Also, MI4 has a leg up in that its wide release is before the weekend and if memory serves, everything it wracks up between tomorrow and sunday will be considered its wide release opening grosses.