sprockets TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Vectoran Giotto

Rodney

• Admin

I haven't been keeping up with all the various programs out there but this one caught my attention.

http://vectorian.com/

It is a free Flash-type program that can even use Action Script (v2 scripts if I read correctly)

It may be worth looking into if you have need of .SWF animation.

In a pinch it might be useful for using images created in A:M to create .SWF movies.

It did import PNG images and kept their transparency which is something a some programs fail at.

I'm not familiar with Action Script but that might be a means to further exploit usage of A:M with Giotto.

Ideally you'd be able to import a sequence of images but I didn't see that capability.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin
Can it export an .AI like Flash can?

Negative. I didn't think Flash could do that either.

But .AI is an Illustrator format so perhaps most Adobe products can export to that.

I think the more straightforward solution is going to be to update the AI Wizard to a SVG wizard or some other appropriate open source vector format.

Shame that it's Windows only.

I don't think there are any free ways to do that, Robert. The likelihood would be that even if something did exist it wouldn't be able to create Illustrator 8 files. The current version is 15. I live in fear of the day that Illustrator drops support for saving that far back.

• Admin

David Simmons uses Inkscape to create .AI files but I've never had much success with that.

I use Coreldraw to create .AI files as it's a simple export to make the conversion.

You may have more luck with the Font wizard.

There are several shareware programs that can be used to create fonts and then those can be imported into A:M.

• Hash Fellow

I looked at Inkscape and never was any workflow that would get an AI file out of it.

Adding SVG import to the AI wizard would help, but I think the best solution would be to allow the wizard to work with any flat outline created in A:M.

The AI wizard is something I'd like to cover in New TAoA:M because it sure simplifies a lot of modeling tasks, but getting an AI file is a pricey thing.

• Admin
The AI wizard is something I'd like to cover in New TAoA:M because it sure simplifies a lot of modeling tasks, but getting an AI file is a pricey thing.

Perhaps we could find a way to reverse the current process of converting AI to splines... export a spline out to AI... then bring it back into A:M through the AI wizard. Of course we wouldn't be satisfied with that we'd want that process automated. ;)

Or perhaps the same could be done with the Font wizard where A:M pretends to export a spline out but then brings that data back in as if it were converting/closing the surface of a font.

I have it on my list of things to do to dissect the AI Wizard and see if I can add a few minor features to it.

If I can wrap my head around that I might be able to program something useful.

Does anyone know where the CAP plugin went to?

That wasn't as versatile as the AI wizard but it was useful in closing off a spline or two.

Similarly, many a year ago there was A:M Loft. That little program had some innovate spline tools although it should be noted that most of those can be found in the current Sweeper plugin.

It's a little strange to do, but it works with Inkscape and other free software.

First, you have to have Ghostscript and ps2edit installed, then make a ".PS" in Inkscape and run the ps2ai.bat (be sure to set the correct path for Ghostscript in the ".Bat") file at the command line...that's what works for me.

Here's a quick example that I threw together...it would need some work to get a good model, but this is what I got without much effort.

Hope that helps.

scripttest.zip

• Admin

This won't be of any use to Mac Users and little to no use to PC users either but... I located A:M Loft and discovered it still works fine on my PC.

Note: There was a Mac version of A:M Loft but is there any chance a twenty year old program would work on the latest release? If the answer is yes then we should be able to find the file via the Wayback machine.

For those silly enough to want to try, download the attached.

As a hint as to how to use A:M Loft look at the bottom of the screen after you've loaded a model. It'll tell you what to do step by step.

The only capability that I see that is missing in A:M now is the skinning tool where you select several spline loops and when you click okay it skins and inbetweens those according to a number you set.

AMloft.zip