Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Captain Henderson

I thought I'd just share a current WIP of one of the characters for Red Squad. I seem to be getting closer to conquering facial texturing which I'm quite proud of I must say :) The problem with how I did it though was that I only had two angles so in the future I would get more angles out of the actors before creating their facial map :)

post-9859-1310047739_thumb.png

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, noses are one of those spots :P I'm getting better at them and maybe one day they'll even have nostrils.... :P

This is a fellow who lives in Australia, found him via the internet and he voiced Henderson in Episode 3 and will be reprising his role in Episode 4, so it's his face mapped onto his face :D

Well, I managed to find 5 minutes to make a few minor adjustments. First up, I touched up the decal some, now he looks less like an 80 year old and more like a 50 year old (as he should). I've also worked some on widening the bridge of his nose, however I've yet to fix the mess I made on his forehead :P

post-9859-1310352521_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...

Figured I'd throw this up here. This is the uniform design we settled on for Starfleet, it's designed to be like the Star Trek Online uniform, but fit the Red Squad look a little more.

post-9859-1311859823_thumb.jpg

These were some of the other designs we toyed around with before settling on the one above.

post-9859-1311859864_thumb.jpg

post-9859-1311859881_thumb.jpg

post-9859-1311859902_thumb.jpg

Not really. CBS/Paramount are finally getting over the fact that fan films are and will be made of Star Trek. They used to make a big deal of it years ago, but thanks to projects like New Voyages and whatnot, they've sort of calmed down on that sort of thing

Also, here's Henderson's head as of right now. I'm getting Alan to send me a couple new angles of his head for texturing purposes, but it's pretty cool, this is so far done only with one side and front view and I'm actually kinda pleased with it :D

Hair is hair though. That will take some time.

post-9859-1311875138_thumb.png

I've actually used SSS before on the ELZ characters. I'll give it a whirl with these guys, but I may not be willing to sacrifice render time just for that extra little bit as hair is gonna add a massive chunk to rendering. On another note, here's his head copied onto the semi complete body :)

post-9859-1311901063_thumb.png

EDIT: Never mind, going to use SSS even though it's gonna add a hefty chunk of time to the render

• Admin

Looking good Chris! :)

My thought is that those dark lines/streaks under his eyes and to a lesser extent on his nose and at the corners of his mouth may be part of his character but I find them a bit distracting. They draw my focus immediately to them when I'd rather be looking at his eyes. I'm not trying to steer you away from your goal here but... perhaps you could fade those out a little? If they are some kind of battle scar... please disregard.

Added: From the early closeup of his face I'm going to guess those streaks are the effect of lighting dropping off rapidly due to the shape of the mesh.

Regardless, He's looking great!

Thanks Rodney, I really see an improvement from my earlier characters to my abilities now. Now as long as the poses and things work well with the face then we should be good.

As for the dark lines, could be that lighting mixed with the SSS. Here's an incomplete render of the front with no lighting aside from the modeling view lighting:

post-9859-1312060620_thumb.png

• Admin

In order to analyze better there are several things that we could do...

If possible could you post a copy of your face decal and screen capture of your mesh/wireframe here?

It might also help to post an image of the face without the decal showing.

What this does for me (or anyone else who is investigating) is allow us to perform something of a gap analysis to see what the effect of each element is contributing to the final image. In my estimation that'd be the next best thing to actually playing around with the actual decal and mesh.

Added: There is an element of symmetry to the current decal that might be good to alter as we rarely see such symmetry on both sides of a face (makeup is often used to achieve more symmetry in a 'pretty' face). This is a piddly critique but I assume you want this kind of feedback.

Here ya go!

post-9859-1312061807_thumb.png

post-9859-1312061883_thumb.png

post-9859-1312062644_thumb.png

post-9859-1312062788_thumb.png

Yeah, when I first started this venture, I didn't expect to be using my rotos as decals, so I only have the right side of the face and that front of the face. Now if'n I had the left side, then we'd be talkin!

• Admin

Wow. That looks great!

I hadn't seen that you'd posted those rotos etc. and I'll take a look at them later today.

A glance at the rotos tells me those streaks are an effect of overlaying the front and side views of the cheeks.

If you can blend those slightly the streaks will fade away.

A quick look at that last images though tells me he and the background are looking great.

Added: I want to challenge you to look at the small thumbnail sized images of these renderings while adjusting the larger images. The thumbnails look vastly superior (even photorealistic) compared with the images that allow us to see more details. There is a good opportunity to economically refine those details there.

Thanks. I have noted that the bump map posted above is wrong as I removed those darker lines running down his cheek. BUt yeah, overall I'm pretty happy with him. My body as usual is iffy, but it's better than anything I've done before so I guess I get points there :P Still have the facial rig left to do, but I kinda need to find out how to do the right rig for AMTrack