sprockets 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Eight (or sixteen?) core CPUs out soon

robcat2075

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

120 cores, now on sale for a mere $34,997.00...

http://www.boxxtech.com/products/RenderBOX...mtcEmail=626125

bnr.jpg

Has anyone ever been around something like that? Do all ten units appear as one windows computer or is it like 10 separate computers networked?

• Hash Fellow

If A:M can be successfully re-coded to use OpenCL for its significant doings you might be able to plug in a GPU computing card such as this (~$2500) to get the throughput of that $34,000 render farm mentioned above:

Here is a demonstration of a scientific analysis app using 1 CPU, 8 CPUs and a GPU (a mere $400 NVidia card).

(Before you get too excited, remember they are showing a very advantageous best-case in their demo, an app that only has to do one thing to do what it does. A 3D app like A:M has to do many different things at different times to do what it does, some of which may not be doable with OpenCL, all of which complicates the task of using OpenCL in A:M.)

Steffen is working on it... :yay:

Some of you might ask why we aren't using GPUs for the whole computer and get rid of the "old" CPUs...

The answer is easy: Both are dedicated to different tasks.

A CPU is not very fast when running the same calculation over and over again. That means, if you need to compute 6000000 Commands of the same kind it is very ineffective. -> That is what we are doing! However when it comes to changing between different commands and not so much repeative commands, the CPU is faster again.

CPUs are more like moderators / commanders and have to see the whole task, while GPUs which make heavy use of Multithreading are more like the detail-guys.

So what is OpenCL?

OpenCL is a command-instruction-set which is dedicated to use multithreading which is very effective using the GPU but can although help speeding up things for the CPU.

When OpenCL is used in the right and suitable way calculation-speed is up to 14 times faster then the CPUs. (this is a more or less pessimistic number from Intel, which doesnt like the fact that their CPUs are slower.) HOWEVER: Creating a 3d-image is not one task repeated 100 000 000 times but although a few changes inbetween. So we can't expect a performance-boost of 14x of it. Anyway: It could boost the rendering-performance quite a lot!

Just my two cents on the subject...

See you

*Fuchur*

• Hash Fellow

For those who are GPU computing curious, this Amazon preview of a book on the subject has a fairly cogent explanation of some of it...

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Massivel...ader_0123814723

click on "first pages" then scroll down a page to "GPUs as parallel computers"

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow

More AMD 8-core news...

Exclusive: AMD's First Bulldozer Chips Arriving Sept. 26

at the end there's this...

Designed for enterprise-class two-socket and four-socket servers, the Opteron 6200 series CPUs will give way in 2012 to chips codenamed Terramar—some sporting a whopping 20 Bulldozer cores.

Cool, that means that the Phenom II prices will continue to drop and we can make our own render farms for cheap. :D

I have a six core Phenom II and these things are mad fast to begin with. But, we could even utilize previous gen four core systems picked up for cheap. (used or new overstock). - Just checked the Processor I have is only about $160 right now.

RAM is SOOO cheap right now it's ridiculous. I picked up 4 GB of DDR3 Dual channel RAM for a mere $40 recently. Yes, it was on sale, but the regular price wasn't much more.

I'm thinking if you picked the right hardware... i.e. cheap power supplies, base all-in-one motherboards with minimal extras, a strong CPU and plenty of RAM. ... you could easily make a 4 or 6 core render node with 2 GB per core available for a reasonable amount.

Really cheap rack system can be made with simple threaded rod. Just stack your motherboards on top of each other with the rod acting as vertical legs. A buddy of mine did that once for a mini-Beowulf he was making. He had four motherboards stacked and the power supplies just sitting on top of each other. With today's modern power supplies having large fans on the 'bottom', just sit each supply on it's side and stack. Once each system is set up, just use remote desktop for access.

Set up a small VERY under powered older computer with a RAID card and Linux and you have an excellent file server with no connection limitations, unlike Windows desktop OS. And you don't have to fork out big $$$ for a server version of Windows either.

I apologize... I'm rambling on now... :D

Maybe I should write up a better NetRender guide...

• Hash Fellow
Maybe I should write up a better NetRender guide...

"Networking for Newbies" would be a great part of that tutorial.

I can do that... I'll get started today. Maybe hash can use it in their next version of the technical reference.

Put up an outline of what you might do in the revising TAoA:M section and see anyone has comments about what they need to know.

• 1 month later...
  • Hash Fellow

Apparently AMD's Bulldozer 8-core is available for sale now.

Tom's Hardware has an extended review

4GHz speeds are attainable with normal CPU coolers and if you happen to have liquid helium around you can get to 8GHz. :lol:

Sounds like it might be a fine platform for A:M's Netrender!

• Hash Fellow

reading the review a bit more... it says that two cores share one floating point unit.

I'm guessing that would be a negative if you were running 8 NetRenderNodes at once, which i presume are floating point intensive.

And in some benchmarks it's underperforming their Phenom II CPUs for that reason.

reading the review a bit more... it says that two cores share one floating point unit.

I'm guessing that would be a negative if you were running 8 NetRenderNodes at once, which i presume are floating point intensive.

And in some benchmarks it's underperforming their Phenom II CPUs for that reason.

It is less expensive to built and can be easily scaled up by that, but it is not as powerful as a real core which would have its own unit.

See you

*Fuchur*

• *A:M User*

I figure by the time I am stressing the 8 cores I currently have (over 2 machines) to the point that I would need a 16 or 20 core machine, they will already be on to 64 cores.

Are we all going to eventually be walking around with teraflop level clusters in our hip pockets? You could make the argument that an iphone 4S is probably equivalent to a high-end workstation from the mid 90s.

• 1 month later...
Apparently AMD's Bulldozer 8-core is available for sale now.

Tom's Hardware has an extended review

4GHz speeds are attainable with normal CPU coolers and if you happen to have liquid helium around you can get to 8GHz. :lol:

Sounds like it might be a fine platform for A:M's Netrender!

Is liquid helium hard to come by?

• Hash Fellow
Is liquid helium hard to come by?

Hard to come by? Fun facts...

-Helium was discovered on the Sun before it was found on the Earth.

-The Hindenburg had to use hydrogen for lift because the Germans had no source of helium.

-Even the outer ice planets are too warm to have liquid helium.

-Liquid helium is difficult to contain

-couldn't find anyone selling it on the web.

• *A:M User*

Can't remember where I read this, might have been Popular Science or something - anyway helium is pretty valuable as an industrial gas, and also rare.

Apparently we are selling our stockpile of helium (the government had been maintaining a strategic reserve similar to the oil reserves it maintains) and based on current usage, may be extremely expensive in the next 20 or 30 years, since there is no new helium produced.

Here is an article that explains it better than I could (may have been where I read it first, for that matter):

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.08/helium.html

Liquid Nitrogen is much cheaper and safer/easier to handle. Any reason LN2 won't work. Neither are sold on the web because both need a special container (dewer) to not boil away quickly at room pressure.

Another fun fact: Helium is separated from natural gas. It is produced deep in the earth as a byproduct of natural radioactivity. Alpha particles are the nucleus of helium atoms.

my render machine is 32 core

!!!

What have you got?

its an IBM mini, not your normal computer. someone was throwing away who deals in very large corporate type computing (banks and etc.)

the machine itself usually runs for about $5000-9000 but the software to run on it starts in the range of $50,000-150,000.

so i took the machine as is sans software. been working to get it running a unix based version but its not seeing all components yet.

each core is rated at 800mhz. it can handle up to 256 processes at one instance.

i do have access to a larger machine (that one is amazing. has 600 blades and each blade is a server. each server has 16 cores.)

and im working with the guy who runs it to help me get mine running. from what hes saying my machine can handle up to 8 versions of windows XP running at the same time

each version having 4 cores dedicated.