Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Another odd occurence - splines smoothly interpolating thru CPs

• Hash Fellow

Occasionally when I'm animating the splines on my model will stop smoothly interpolating thru their CPs.

Suppose several patches are twisted then straightened out.

The CPs move to their correct places but the splines going thru them don't' quite adjust right it's as if the angles of intersection has frozen.

like this.

Bent_Intersections.PNG

I've marked the corresponding angles with red green and blue arcs.

So far, saving and reloading is the only sure remedy. Anyone seen this and know what causes it?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not accidentally adjusting their bias are you? That happens to me a lot. You know you go to scale or move a CP, but don't notice that black little rotate handle appear and then you click and drag and it rotates tha bias or whatever and causes them to do that bumpy warp thing

That happens to me occasionally in a Model window, but I haven't noticed it in a Chor (but I don't do much direct animation of splines in a Chor).

Sometimes if I just select the spline to the right or left of a wonky CP it will straighten out. Sometimes, if I select all CPs and nudge left/right they will straighten out.

I have seen that. Or something very similar. But I believe I had been using some plug-in (like split, or split patch, or ???) - but I remember that it would clear itself up as well. I think I decided that I didn't trust it, and ended up manually doing something.

I just tried those plugins and couldn't get it to be wonky. I'm a big help.

• Hash Fellow

It's something more than a refresh issue because it will be visible after teh screen is redrawn for each new frame.

I should note that this isn't something I'm getting during spline or muscle mode animation, this is in regular moving bones around animation.

My suspicion is that it happens on CPs that weighted to more than one bone but that's just a theory.

• Hash Fellow

Here's an example I just got in rendering

These are from an image sequence rendered by two instances of A:M.

the first instance was producing not-good splines and the second instance was producing good splines.

Exact same pose in each frame but two different results.

splinejitter.mov

I've seen that, too.

Loading it freshly and render it is the safest way to avoid it, but I think scrubbing the timeline to "0" and then several times pressing the space bar helps, too.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm...I just experienced this (or a similar problem) when rendering. Unfortunately I don't know what caused it. The only way I could get it to clear up, was to restart A:M.

I'm guessing that for the bad rendering (2nd image) to occur, I had started the render while I was not on frame 0?

CORRECTorionnebulatest300falloff0006.png

BADorionnebulatest300falloff0006.png

If it is refresh issue, I wonder if this is related.

I've noticed that deleting choreography actions doesn't always remove the results of those keys.

For example:

test.jpg

Here, I've posed Flemm in a choreography. In the middle image, I've deleted all of the bones and user properties from the choreography action. In the right image, I've closed the project and reopened the choreography.

The middle image should look exactly like the image on the right, but there are some obvious differences.

I come across this often since I'm doing individual frames rather than animation. If I want to resave the choreography and change things, I find there's a "muscle memory" happening that can create unexpected results. Results that can only be seen until the project is closed and reopened. I keep every choreography incase it needs to be re-rendered, but if I don't go through this process to clear it out, I won't be able to get the same image.

Like in this example, it would appear the mouth is open. If I re-posed Flemm, the render would show his mouth open. However. If I saved the choreography and reopened it at another time to render it, his mouth would now be closed, since there's no key on the jaw bone.

Like I said, I'm not sure if this is related or not, but this post reminded me of it.

[EDIT] I just noticed, in support of what Mark S. was saying, that the effected areas (face and hands) do have porcelain material applied to them.

• Hash Fellow
[EDIT] I just noticed, in support of what Mark S. was saying, that the effected areas (face and hands) do have porcelain material applied to them.

This is interesting, however, in the Shaggy case I showed above, he doesn't have porcelain on him. My main suspect remains CPs weighted to more than one bone.

This is interesting, however, in the Shaggy case I showed above, he doesn't have porcelain on him. My main suspect remains CPs weighted to more than one bone.

I'm starting to see this now. If I switch to Muscle Mode and select each affected CP, the splines usually straighten out, but I like Elm's suggestion to just close A:M and reopen before a final render.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

Just noticed this thread.

While Making "Adventures With Boomer", I had this happen a whole bunch....Mostly in the face which probably had more weighting on cps than other parts of the body.

Sometimes it wouldn't show up until the render and I would have to do long renders over. The smooth spline curves would "peak" at random places.

What I did find is that I would sometimes have to go to select the area of cps by drag selecting the area. Even frame by frame. Sometimes this would bring the smoothness back, but I never did figure the thing out.

Seems like a bug.

William