Hash, Inc. Forums

Mother board died

PF_Mark

Ok My P4 mother board is died and I need to replace it. I have 3 Gigs of DDR 2 memory 2 gig and 2 512MG simms so a mother board with 4 slots Because I want at least 3 gigs. I have a good quality video card and sound card DVD burner.

SO I thinking a ASUS board AMD or intel? single dual or quad CPU?

Any thoughts?

• Hash Fellow

I have a Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L motherboard that takes Intel socket 775 CPUs. I have a quad core Q6600 in it.

It does have four DDR2 slots and they don't all have to be the same.

It requires a PCI-e video card , not an AGP

you can find the manual here

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/...oad-center.aspx

BIOSTAR TA890FXE AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

this is the board that i am using currently

i consider this the best board well worth it

Do you have a intel or a amd-cpu? The BIOSTAR for example is a board for AM3-based cpus. -> this one will not take your DDR2-RAM but needs DDR3.

You have to get a AM2+-board IF you want to use your RAM again and your CPU is based on AM2 / AM2+.

You have to have a look which CPU you are using! Intel has several motherboardtypes and AMD has too... AMD is a little bit easier, because there are only two types available today, but that depends on how old you computer was.

*Fuchur*

I have had Soyo which was descent, Tyan which was buggy, MSI, Asus died on me, Abit was pretty good but Intel for me has been the most stable. If your using an Nvidia video card go with Intel, if you have an ATI video card you may want to consider an AMD

Your quote "Nvidia video card go with Intel, if you have an ATI video card you may want to consider an AMD ", please explain your thought behind the comment. I to need to change my MB. I find my ASUS P5Q has had unexplained issues.

Intel in general tries to remain neutral but many Intel based boards use Nvidia components especially 3rd party boards such as Asus etc. Intel themselves never made a board that would support the AMD cpu's for obvious reasons. AMD owns ATI so I would assume that the compatibility between the 2 brands would make more sense. Intel and Nvidia are partnering on graphic chips which makes a bigger split in the pc world. I can't say that there is a big conspiracy between the companies but as they partner and merge they seem to make sure their products work better.

The biggest decision maker is what software are you planning on running. I haven't seen any screaming about AM running with an ATI and I have actually had some redraw issues in the past with my Quadro and AM but the newest beta seems to have fixed much of that.

If you use your machine for gaming then a workstation card will probably not give you the performance you would expect. Also, some of the newest Nvidia cards do have some heat issues.

• *A:M User*

If you want to hang onto the memory, here is what I recommend:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128394

A board like that will support just about any modern AMD cpu (Phenom II x4, x3, Propus, etc.) and a modern graphics card. It has a Radeon 4200 built in, so if you would not be able to reuse an old AGP card you could get by with that til you could get something better.

You could get a quad core for $99, its not as fast as the Phenom II x4s but coming from a p4 as you are, anything is going to be a major upgrade.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103702

That's what I would get if I was on a budget. You might even be able to pick yourself up 2 1GB dimms and still come in at or under $200:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;PageSize=20

That's what I'd get if I was on a budget. You might be able to find a cheaper motherboard, but not by much. Gigabyte is a good brand I've had in the past and trust, I'd also recommend Asus or Tyan.

You didn't mention a budget but if money is tight, for $169 (w/o tax) you could get a motherboard and cpu and for about another $40 you could add to the RAM you already have for a full 4GB.

Hope this helps.