Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Thom with long cloth pants with cuffs

• Hash Fellow

I haven't gotten these pants to survive the jump over the box like the shorts could, but they work well in a walk.

LongPants_700.mov

Although Thom is on a walk cycle, the pants had to be simulated for the whole range

This was rendered with Jenpy's FastAO. AO really does help make things look "there". And now it's fast!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

nice jeans! nice cloth simulation, and the FastAO looks terrific.

most recent version of FASTAO (aka FakeAO) found here

Earlier thread with example tests, discussion of properties, how-to's found here

FastAo (FakeAO) is a post effect plug-in that approximates the Ambiance Occlusion look - and is a bazillion times faster (like in minimal to none additional time for render)

• Hash Fellow
Rob, can you elaborate a little more on the settings? Just a high stiffness value?

well, the high stiffness, was on the chains, but these pants are pretty high too, 4000.

My goal is to find some work flow that will always lead you to the right settings but I'm not there yet. Sometimes very small changes can make the difference between quick failure and something that will work long enough to be useful.

These pants tests you see here are the result of probably a week of trial and error watching things go off the rails, trying to gain some insight into it all.

In general:

your cloth mesh needs to be fairly dense because simCloth is only aware of the CP positions, not the splines in between. Also, thin meshes have trouble folding enough to fit in tight pinches. Cloth doesn't like being pinched.

Deflector meshes can be more normal.

"Collision Tolerance" is better at low values. This gives cloth more room when it is caught between two surfaces. These pants used 0.5

"Sub steps" and "adaptive subdivision" need to be higher for clothing situations.

The defaults of 4 and 3 mean the frame can be subdivided into up to 4... 8... 16... 32 time slices

For the pants I used 25 and 5, allowing for up to 25... 50... 100... 200... 400... 800 slices

Great findings. Really.

Would a possible future feature request be that features like Simcloth (among others) have multiple 'defaults'... for instance, the default settings that the progammer(s) initially set the feature at BUT have an option box for:

-Robs 'stiff' pants preset.

-Matts 'velvet curtain' preset.

-Dangling hair tuft preset.

-etc

• Hash Fellow
Great findings. Really.

Would a possible future feature request be that features like Simcloth (among others) have multiple 'defaults'... for instance, the default settings that the progammer(s) initially set the feature at BUT have an option box for:

-Robs 'stiff' pants preset.

-Matts 'velvet curtain' preset.

-Dangling hair tuft preset.

-etc

It's too situation dependent for that. That's my take on it right now.

• Hash Fellow

One cloth observation... if you stop a simulation at some midpoint, perhaps to fix an intersection, and then restart the sim at that point, the cloth seems to regard its shape at that moment as its default shape and will seek to maintain that rather than whatever its original shape was.

For very floppy cloth this may not be obvious but on stiffer cloths it looks like it has peristent wrinkles in it as it moves about.

• Admin
One cloth observation... if you stop a simulation at some midpoint, perhaps to fix an intersection, and then restart the sim at that point, the cloth seems to regard its shape at that moment as its default shape and will seek to maintain that rather than whatever its original shape was.

For very floppy cloth this may not be obvious but on stiffer cloths it looks like it has peristent wrinkles in it as it moves about.

Robert,

That's an important observation as it should help prevent that 'falling into place at the beginning of the animation' look.

If I understand what you are saying correctly... If we delete all other keys around a specific generated set of keyframes we can use that as a starting place? If true then we should be able to scrub through a simulation, find the ideal keyframe sets, delete the rest and use that/those as a starting place.

I recall Bob explaining something about this (perhaps in his Simcloth TechTalk) but it didn't sink in then.

• Hash Fellow

Robert,

That's an important observation as it should help prevent that 'falling into place at the beginning of the animation' look.

If I understand what you are saying correctly... If we delete all other keys around a specific generated set of keyframes we can use that as a starting place? If true then we should be able to scrub through a simulation, find the ideal keyframe sets, delete the rest and use that/those as a starting place.

I suppose you could use it as a technique to model in some permanent scrunches in a cloth.

Yes, you can restart a simulation from any point if you've deleted all the keyframes after that.

I my current case i didn't want the clot to maintain a crumpled look at the end so this was more a cautionary note on my part.