Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Toying with an idea

Hey folks, I've been thinking of trying to sell new models in a set. I'm working on one now which will be "Street Objects Set I" (See the attachment). I know many consider it taboo to try and sell models when so many are offered for free but everyone needs to make money. A set like the one shown would sell for about $12.95. Do you think it's a fair price? Honest opinions please!

Streets_1.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

Nice looking stuff!

It probably costs nothing to set up an online store (or use some well-trafficked site like Turbosquid) so it won't hurt much to try, but I'd expect actual sales to be microscopic since any prop is a very specific thing and anyone's project is likewise specific so the chances of the two meshing is remote.

I always thought sales of A:M would skyrocket if we took a 'Poser-esque' approach... sell/include models of ...models! Hot young jettsetting couples complete with disrobing actions...flowing hair... runway/risque choreographies...

Theres no reason it could'nt be done- plus here's 2 things in your favor:

1- Poser sucks

2- A:M rocks.

Nice looking stuff!

It probably costs nothing to set up an online store (or use some well-trafficked site like Turbosquid) so it won't hurt much to try, but I'd expect actual sales to be microscopic since any prop is a very specific thing and anyone's project is likewise specific so the chances of the two meshing is remote.

Hey, checked out Turbosquid. I think your right, It does seem to be a great place to try this! I'm going to set it up. I agree with what you say about a prop being a speciffic thing but I think if you sell them in sets for a reasonable price, you have much better odds. We'll see :)

I always thought sales of A:M would skyrocket if we took a 'Poser-esque' approach... sell/include models of ...models! Hot young jettsetting couples complete with disrobing actions...flowing hair... runway/risque choreographies...

Theres no reason it could'nt be done- plus here's 2 things in your favor:

1- Poser sucks

2- A:M rocks.

Disrobing actions... Now theres an idea.

Yeah, I was going t suggest TurboSquid, though I don't know about their commission structure. But they do have an A:M section that could use some beefing up.

We recently bought a pretty pricey human anatomy (polygon) model through them and when we discovered that it didn't have all the internal systems we needed, it became a real headache to get it straightened out...we had been to the creators' website, a company called Plastic Boy in S. Africa I think but for some reason that escapes me now, we opted to purchase through TurboSquid. But once problems arose, having TS acting as an intermediary really complicated things. We decided that in the future if we needed something similar we would go directly to Plastic Boy, who were helpful and accommodating in the extreme. And the guy we were dealing with there had a few unkind things to say about TS's cut of the selling price.

So, not really comparable to your/our situation with A:M, but just a little "buyer/seller beware" story. I do think the TS storefront would be the place for what you're doing.

• Admin

As has been mentioned the commission rate of most sites can cancel the effectiveness (read: profitability) of distribution through those venues. Except in the case where high quality models might return a fair return on the investment foryou I'm not sure what to suggest to you.

After you figure out the backend and distribution you could always drop an announcement in the Jobs Board or Off Topic here in the forum to let others know what you've released. The same goes for proferring hiring opportunities. I believe the key is to keep release notes short and sweet (i.e an announcement rather than a solicitation) then build a reputation for reliability.

There are several sites that might bring you more money in for selling models, biggest is Turbo Squid.

Turbo Squid specializes mostly in Max models but also offer obj files and 3ds files. Not sure if they would sell AM native files but wouldn't hurt to ask.

If you plan on just exporting out obj and/or 3ds files then you could also check out Daz3d and Content Paradise.

Daz3d sells a ton of content for their Poser compatible Daz Studio and they also sell Carrara and Bryce. Content Paradise pretty much specializes in Poser compatible files.

There is tons of competition. Selling sets of models or model packs might be ok if there is a substantial number of models but you would probably be better off selling them individually or consider selling them individually as well as a set.

Individual models are easier for the resellers to categorize them and easier for the buyer to look for the right model for their projects.

To sell on your own might be a stretch and may actually cost you more hosting than the return you might get through a big reseller.

You can get an idea what people get for the models, and the sellers take anything from 20-50% of the costs you see on the sites.

Models look good and I would think they might get you some return, see what else is out there and it wouldn't hurt to try.

Wow! Lots of helpfull advise guys. It's very much appreciated. I did find a site that allows you to upload and share files and they take a 20% cut which is better than the privious 50% mentioned. It at Lulu.com I will be adding it ther soon and I'll keep you posted. If it does well, I think a few of you may do the same. It would be great to have more hash material available!

• 2 weeks later...