Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Heavy Push

TheSpleen

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

1- many times the ball is squashing before it contacts the ground, or leaving the ground in squashed shape. Neither of those can be.

2- Iron rule of classic animation...maintain volume. When a ball is squashed it gets wider to keep its volume.

3- a ball can't squash any faster than it was moving to begin with. What if the ball were really made of tiny pellets in a sack? Would the pellets at the top suddenly start zooming down faster because the pellets at the bottom had just touched the ground?

4- gravity means accelerating on the way down and decelerating on the way up. Without having tracked them frame by frame, it looks like the ball is moving at a constant velocity in many spots.

It's complicated!

1- many times the ball is squashing before it contacts the ground, or leaving the ground in squashed shape. Neither of those can be.

2- Iron rule of classic animation...maintain volume. When a ball is squashed it gets wider to keep its volume.

3- a ball can't squash any faster than it was moving to begin with. What if the ball were really made of tiny pellets in a sack? Would the pellets at the top suddenly start zooming down faster because the pellets at the bottom had just touched the ground?

4- gravity means accelerating on the way down and decelerating on the way up. Without having tracked them frame by frame, it looks like the ball is moving at a constant velocity in many spots.

It's complicated!

When squashing or stretching how do you do it?

I know I am doing it wrong, but I was close.

I really appreciate your help.

(edit) I am refering to manipulating the model , I have a pose slider but it limits me on rotating the ball.

Gene

• Hash Fellow
When squashing or stretching how do you do it?

If you HAVE to squetch a ball with surface details, typically you use two bones. one for squetch and then one that is a child of that for rotation. The child inherits whatever scaling the parent has, but the parent doesn't get the rotation that the child gets.

But I'd eliminate that problem entirely by using a plain ball without texture.

• Hash Fellow

In the vid i think I talk about how the hips don't start back up on the same exact frame that the heel hits the ground. They continue down for a few frames then start their way back up.

Unless your legs are absolutely rigid poles (which they are not) the body will continue down until the front leg can absorb all the weight and begin to force it up again.

Richard williams talks about this too in his section on walks.

But I think an all-legs character is good for practicing walks. That's all we had at Animation mentor when they started us on walks.

Btw I tried to buy you a book off your list (nothing expensive but something)

they dont take paypal though.

thanks, none-the-less!

• Hash Fellow

Sometime around October I might be able to get this not-yet-existent class I talk about rolling. It would move in very small increments like this.

Basic bouncing ball

Moving bouncing ball

Squetchy bouncing ball

Standing up

Broad jump

Sidestep

Sometime around October I might be able to get this not-yet-existent class I talk about rolling. It would move in very small increments like this.

Basic bouncing ball

Moving bouncing ball

Squetchy bouncing ball

Standing up

Broad jump

Sidestep

SOUNDS GREAT!

• Hash Fellow

The big thing about stair climbing is you have to get your center of gravity completely over the leading foot before you can pull up the trailing foot. This is especially true if you are climbing slowly.

If his center of gravity isn't over the foot on the next step, how can that leg possibly push him up?

On the second step he actually has both feet off the steps simultaneously. Can't happen. Impossible.

Go to some stairs and try going up slowly. Try lifting up your lower foot without putting your weight on the upper foot. Actually go and try that.

The big thing about stair climbing is you have to get your center of gravity completely over the leading foot before you can pull up the trailing foot. This is especially true if you are climbing slowly.

If his center of gravity isn't over the foot on the next step, how can that leg possibly push him up?

On the second step he actually has both feet off the steps simultaneously. Can't happen. Impossible.

Go to some stairs and try going up slowly. Try lifting up your lower foot without putting your weight on the upper foot. Actually go and try that.

why you trying to hurt me? :blink:

• Hash Fellow

Closer... but look at the frame where his rear foot loses contact with the ground.... has he really gotten his weight over that front foot already?

If not it's going to be bonk, bonk, bonk... down to the bottom of the stairs.

Close wont' sell it to the viewer usually. You have to make his weight shift obvious.

Gonna knock some sense into you.

Good Luck, Robert. I been trying to do that for over a year and haven't made any headway. :D

Major improvements, Gene, but Robert is a "take no prisoners" kind of a tutor.

• Admin

You made that last one a bit hard for yourself just by the fact the steps were so tall.

If you can find a step (or other solid object) that is the height of your knees and try to step up on it you'll see that it's considerably awkward.

Given that aspect I find you've done a pretty good job on this last one.

Try it again with lower (individual) steps to walk up.

That'll make it much easier for you (and your character) to walk up.

The typical step is about top of boot height (under 8 inches). I'd say at at least half the height you've got there.

For reference here are some images of people walking up stairs.

(Be careful. Some of the illustrations, CG images make the same mistake.)

These you'll have to sort through a bit but... walking up stairs (animated).

For those that want to get precise or technical: Stair Height.