sprockets Learn to create your own tool bars! Behind The Scenes: A:M and Animatronics Jeff Cantin's Classic Splining Tutorial Strange Effect, video demo and PRJ included John blows up a planet, PRJs included VWs by Stian, Rodger and Marcos Myron's band gets its own wine!
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

scrolling image

Master chief

OK really two question

1st can i take a image say 500X500 pixels and have it applied to the entire model

2nd once done can i get the image to move around it , kinda like a chain rolling around a gear

curenty im trying to come p with a worm hole effect , the model itself consists of really distorted donut shapes but i cant seam to get them to you know look worm holeish with out the use of textures, and then i get into the problem of there being a big square just sitting there.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want one image to cover an entire model you probably would want to "flatten" the model if it has surfaces that aren't visible when stamping.

I don't think you can animate a decal position... couldn't last time I checked unless this is a new feature. There are other ways to animate an image moving over a surface. You could use an animated sequence. For example, create flat grid with the image, then animate it moving in whatever way you want, render that out as a sequence of images and import the sequence as the decal. Or you could use an environment map, a projection map material I think, and animate the position in the material.

-vern

Several possibilities to cover the whole model with one image:

1.) Use a material for that... for example BitMapPlus if you are using tileable maps or the plugin-material projection-map from hash.

2.) Use a decal... dont know if many people know about it, but you can rightclick on the decal-folder and select "group undecalled patches" or something like that. So you will very easily find ungrouped patches and you can stamp them too till there are none of them.

3.) Best is, to flatten your model (not necessarily with the flatten-command so...). Like this you have the whole control about the thing, but it is although the most timeconsuming thing to do.

4.) You can set a decal to be applied spherical / cylindrical. So if you are for eample texturing a wire this can be very helpful. And like that, everything that is behind the decal (even if the decal is not covering it directly) will be stamped. The problem with this: It will only work for very "diffuse" maps...

5.) Patch-Images can although be very helpful if you are using tileable textures.. rightclick on a group in the pws and choose "Add Image".

*Fuchur*

2nd once done can i get the image to move around it , kinda like a chain rolling around a gear

You cannot animate the position of a decal, but you can use an animated image as a decal. Clever application and tiling of a decal should let you create an image like the chain example.

Yes there is.

Check out JohnL3D's tutorial on how to animate a gradient material.

http://johnl3d.blogspot.com/2008_02_28_archive.html

Here's a project file:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?s=&am...st&p=262341

JohnL3D also has a video tut on "applying a tga sequence to a model then setting up an action to have it repeat"

http://johnl3d.blogspot.com/2008_03_23_archive.html

• Hash Fellow

It's possible to use an image in a projection map material and animate the material placement parameters.

Projection maps only allow spherical, cyl and planar application so this may not be useful.

Haven't looked at JohnL3d's tutes but yes, you can definitely animate a material. Create the .mat, apply and check the "Show More than Drivers" icon. You can set keyframes for pretty much any attribute of the material.