Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Buffalo kickin up dust test renders

Ok here is a very quick animation test of what will hopefully be a stampede of buffalo. Right now everything is in sync but this is just a test of dust kicking up, the render was not a final but shaded with particles. The project Im working on is a music video of a song I wrote with a little help from a friend in the UK. The song titled "Buffalo Song" is about the slaughter of the American Buffalo / Bison.

Mov file appx 2 mb

P.S. Im looking for a version 13 (and latest release of) of A:M obviously used is fine, I eventually want a collection of ALL A:M releases, even when it was not called A:M....

Thanks, Mike

Dust_test_3_Buffalo.mov

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

That has to be some of the best moving dust I've seen posted to date.

Very effective.

Not really any suggestion to offer here as I know you are just testing the dust.

I don't know how this fits in with adjacent shots in the sequence but if its a stampede throw in additional dust coming in from off screen (screen left). I'm sure you've got that angle covered.

Looking really good!

I assume your stagecoach may play a role in this music video?

Thanks Rodney, you know I hadn't even thought of that stage coach, man! you got my wheels a turning (and thats a good thing) I might even find a spot for my Conestoga wagon too, weird, I had completely forgotten about those models..... LOL

Ill keep that suggestion on the dust from off screen in mind, good one!

• Hash Fellow

Pretty good looking dust.

I have one idea... It looks like the dust is coming from an area under the body of the buffalo like it's growing from the ground. How about if the dust emitter was on the back or bottom of their hooves? You could animate the emitter to be off when the feet were in the air and back on when they strike the ground.

Thanks for the replys guys, Hey! that rhymed.

The emitters, 2 of them are placed under the hooves but not precisely and they have an action applied to them to attempt to come close to matching the leg action. I like the idea about turning them on and off as needed, thanks for the tip...

• 3 weeks later...

Been slow going, all sorts of troubles in other areas, but I have manage to redo the dust a bit, I have put an emitter under each hoove and it is activated via an action object, emitting when the hoove hits the ground and not when hoove leaves the ground.

I have the buffalo on a path comming in from a distance towards the camera, I added some scenery for the halobit. Its a shaded render not final...

Kinda hard to keep the path going the way of the hilly ground, that is a curvy path......

Mike

Trot_Test_edit.mov

The bison looks great!!

The dust looks good. Nice effect.

The trot looks a little choppy. If that's a cycle, you might want to consider tweaking the cycle on the end a little to smoothen the loop.

Very good work!!

George